What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle Books On The iPad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you get an app to use text to speech to read a Kindle book on an iPad? I want to get a book for my disabled son which does not yet have an audiobooks version. He has an iPad. If there is no such app, does the Kindle have text to speech?

Actual Kindle e-ink devices have that feature on books, depending on the author's and/or publisher's permission. The computer voice sounds crummy to me, but some people don't mind it. There's no equivalent on iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started using a Kindle about four years ago, switched to iPad about two years ago and have not looked back.

There was no iPad when Kindle emerged, and I was thrilled with Kindle's portability and access to books. Kindle was amazing on extended stints away from my print books at home, especially while abroad, where English-language books can be limited and expensive. But I found e-ink murky and didn't care for clip-on lights. I much prefer reading on iPad, so much so that my Kindle has sat unused for about two years.

I've yet to experience eyestrain on iPad, and I can read a book or two a day if I have time. That's not changed on iPad, on Kindle or on print books. It's just great to have choices.

michaela1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick question related to the Kindle for IPAD does the zoom feature work on this app on the IPAD or can you only adjust font size like you can on the regular kindle . For some reason I thought the zoom
worked on books on the IPAD ?

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
michaela1 said:
Just a quick question related to the Kindle for IPAD does the zoom feature work on this app on the IPAD or can you only adjust font size like you can on the regular kindle . For some reason I thought the zoom
worked on books on the IPAD ?

Sorry, no zoom in the Kindle or iBook apps. You can adjust the font size, as you mentioned, but no zoom.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you have the iPad's Zoom function activated (in the Settings app, under General > Accessibility > Zoom), a three-finger tap of the screen will zoom in on the screen, even in the Kindle app. You will have to do the "drag three fingers while zoomed" to get the text centered, but it works.

So, you can make the text really, really (!) big on the iPad - zoom all the way up in the app settings and then Zoom in with the 3-finger tap. Wow. :)

Marilyn

P.S. Note that I tried this in both the Kindle and the iBooks apps. Works in both...

AlexW52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this isn't too off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has used their iPad to download/borrow books from their local library. Specifically, is there a special app or can you use iBook or Kindle? If iBook/Kindle...which would you recommend? I'm new to the iPad and this forum, so just starting to explore and can't wait to use it to start reading. This thread was really helpful...Thanks!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this isn't too off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has used their iPad to download/borrow books from their local library. Specifically, is there a special app or can you use iBook or Kindle? If iBook/Kindle...which would you recommend? I'm new to the iPad and this forum, so just starting to explore and can't wait to use it to start reading. This thread was really helpful...Thanks!

Many U.S. libraries work with the Overdrive app. You should check with your library.

Lool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a book from Amazon which won't download into my IPAD Kindle app. Any advice please?

Lool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's on my Kindle app home page, but still unable to download

Lool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, after two hours it has just downloaded. I re booted the wireless router & maybe that did the trick. Sorry to
bother you.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, after two hours it has just downloaded. I re booted the wireless router & maybe that did the trick. Sorry to
bother you.

For future ref: A typical Kindle download takes less than a minute.

Most reactions

Latest posts