What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard with dictation

Knittingmommie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to Apple products, so please bear with me. I am looking for an application that will allow me to dictate like the microphone feature on the keyboard of the new ipad that just came out. I just got off the phone with a person with Apple tech support and they told me there were apps in the apps center that would allow this, but he couldn't give me the names of them. I have searched the app store and am unable to find anything so I thought I would try here. He said if I would watch TV there was a commercial advertising this software, and that it was for kids who are having trouble typing, and it sounded like the word go. Does anyone have any idea what this app is that I am needing? I would appreciate any help that you could give me!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a free app in the App Store called Dragon Dictation. I've not used it, but it has awesome reviews.

Might that work for you?

Marilyn

OP
K

Knittingmommie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded it, but as far as I can tell, it only has the capability to cut and paste from it. What I would like to have is an app with the dictation mike on the keyboard itself so that I can use it without having to open up another app, if that makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no app exists that modifies the stock keyboard across the board. All apps that are not the stock default apps work that way - you have to cut 'n' paste your work out of them into another. It's one of the major limitations of Apple's sand boxing and the main reason why the dictation part of the new iPad's keyboard is so welcomed (because it is part of the default keyboard and thus useable every where).

So, if you want dictation, but don't have a new iPad, I'm afraid your only option is the create and cut & paste one. Sorry.

Marilyn

Gtmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A really awesome dictation app is called vlingo. I use it on my iPhone as well as my iPad 2. It allows you to dictate inside the email, text or search functions.

Most reactions

Latest posts