What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard Short cuts

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can make a short cut under Keyboard in System Preferences by putting a short cut word with a Phrase into the Keyboard entries. But I cannot discover how to erase a short cut and its associated phrase. you can erase the short cut, but the phrase seems to be immovable.

Any ideas, anyone?

NM

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Swipe right to left across the shortcut in Settings/General/Keyboard and the delete button will appear. Touch it to delete the shortcut.

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moray said:
You can make a short cut under Keyboard in System Preferences by putting a short cut word with a Phrase into the Keyboard entries. But I cannot discover how to erase a short cut and its associated phrase. you can erase the short cut, but the phrase seems to be immovable.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your reply

NM

Is there any limit to the length, or to the structure, of the Phrase one can use? I am trying to,use it as a group email send address.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a limit to the length. I have reminders of most of the forum rules set up as keyboard shortcuts, and some of them are quite long. I haven't found a way to force a new line, though, so it appears that multiple paragraphs are not possible.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know the limit - but I do know I once put in the preamble (if that's what you call it) to the Gettysburg Address into the shortcuts. Not the whole thing, just the "fours core and seven years ago ... all men are created equal." It fit fine and worked as well as me using my 7-letter name with a shortcut.

The only thing to keep in mind, however, is that the shortcut function does not do paragraph or line breaks. So, if you do something with carriage returns, you'll have to use the "return" key to get stuff lined up. Not that big a deal (is how I have to so some of my shortcuts) - just wanted you to be aware.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

EDITED TO ADD: What Kevin said - he types faster! Guess I'm the slow typer of this forum. :)

PAdon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hit edit and all shortcuts appear with red minus sign next to them. Hit the minus next to shortcut to eliminate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts