What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just updated from 6 to 8.1 Problems!!!!

Autumn.Witch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help? I have just updated my iPad2 (which has never given me any trouble) from 6 to 8.1 and it is now almost imposible to use. Web pages take forever to load. I can tap the screen for ever and get no response sometimes - the whole thing freezes. The battery life also seems affected. I had two emails this morning that simply read "this email has no content" and then 5 or 6 minutes later the content miraculously appeared. This tablet is useless to me in its prsent state. Even the onscreen keyboard is slow to react as I type and the keyboard shortcuts will only work in s-l-o-o-o-w motion. Select, cut and paste are not working either. My stress levels are now sky high and I need a tanlet that works!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest in the first instance do a reset (or two) after you have updated the system. Do this:
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
Andrew

OP
A

Autumn.Witch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest in the first instance do a reset (or two) after you have updated the system. Do this:
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
Andrew
Thank you for the sugestion Andrew. I will certainly give that a try. Fingers crossed that it will worl or else the men in white coats will be coming for me

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
image.jpg
Thank you for the sugestion Andrew. I will certainly give that a try. Fingers crossed that it will worl or else the men in white coats will be coming for me
No worries. Well, actually hope it works out, but keep a watch out anyway:)

Andrew

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With an iPad Air, there shouldn't be any problem. It's certainly better to use iTunes to update in your case as well.

There are a few nice features that you'd miss, if you stay on 7.1.2. Just as an example: if you have an iPhone as well, it will be possible to answer a phone call with your iPad.

Here's what you need to do:

Make sure iTunes on your computer is up to date, backup your iPad, via iTunes or iCloud, whichever method you prefer.
Connect the iPad to iTunes, select your device in iTunes as soon as it appears, click "Check for Updates", and, as soon as you see it, "Download and Install".
After updating, reset your device: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the iPad start on it's own.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions