What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just ordered my car mount...

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, here we go...pics of my Modulr, semi-pro, modified car mount. This is mounted in a 2008 Prius for those who may not recognize. It requires no drilling, is removable and non-permanent, yet very stable and ultimately very usable - particularly for my car and needs. I wanted something I could switch between vehicles easily if need be, did not alter or otherwise require modification of the vehicle, was reasonably stable for practical use and did not cost a ridiculous amount of money like many of the other options available to us. As the cost of the starter kit from Modulr is negligible for me since I wanted a case and desk stand regardless - this mount cost me less than $50 in materials and not a terrible amount of time and effort. Hope the pics and comments are helpful to others.

Sorry it took so long to post back.

(FYI, if you are on FB and subscribed to the Modulr FB page; you'll see these posted there with comments and a few extra pics, also.)

Attachments

• IMG_20100910_134528.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134528.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_20100910_134655.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134655.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20100910_134711.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134711.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20100910_134947.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134947.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20100910_134825.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134825.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 356

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a few more...

Attachments

• IMG_20100910_134749.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134749.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20100910_134756.jpg
    IMG_20100910_134756.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20100910_135048.jpg
    IMG_20100910_135048.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 319

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great, it looks really nice.
Somehow in my photo iPad looks so big meaning that my Audi is so small compared to your nice Ford :)

Yes, I agree that good and reasonable priced navigation app is just now missing. Any proposals?

I know a lot of folks bash GPS Drive HD, but I have it and really like it. It seems to get better with each revision. Of course, if you lose your cell connection I could see where that would get annoying. But honestly so far, while I did experience that, it was a very minor issue and I was able to continue navigating.

A lot of recent enhancements make this my favorite GPS software by far. I'm in OH, so maybe that helps on the coverage side. Might be worth a second look for some.

freekyFX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good Snagtooth. It looks like you used a Ram-Mount RAM-B-316-1-202U ($42.36 + $10.37 shipping) plus a ModulR Case and ModulR Slip Mount ($59.00 + $29.00). The total of these parts is $140.73. That is almost twice as much as you would have paid for the mount that iPad-Sweden purchased, which was $73.32 + $10.37 shipping or $83.69.

RAM POD I WITH HOLDER APPLE IPAD

2ipad.jpg

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is almost twice as much as you would have paid for the mount that iPad-Sweden purchased, which was $73.32 + $10.37 shipping or $83.69.

Not exactly.

I did not want a windshield mount which appears to be the link provided by ipad-sweden. Although, it does not look like a windshield mount in his video. Perhaps he rigged it up a bit or usbfever does not sell that model any longer?

Also, I wanted a case irregardless of a car mount so that cost is negated for me. Most quality cases cost between $30-$60, with some going even higher (Otterbox series, for example). Most of the mounting solutions are not case friendly and if they are, the tolerances limit the kind of case you can use. When I stumbled across the Modulr case system, I immediately knew they were on to something and even had a car mount coming. However, I was impatient and knew I could modify something up.

So the break down on price for me was this:

$99 shipped for the starter kit from Modulr which included the case, the slim mount and the quick stand. (Actually, I received 2 quick stands due to an error in the color shipped and they had me keep the incorrect one while immediately sending the correct replacement.)

$45.96 shipped for the Ram pod I with a 1.5" (not the smaller 1") ball

$144.96 total

So yes, if you want to take the approach of "this was all for the sole purpose of obtaining a car mount" - you can say there are cheaper options out there. But in my mind the build quality on these (I looked at a lot of choices) and or the limitation of use as/or with a case - made them unappealing and not economical for my use.

Since I would have bought the Modulr Case system regardless, my net cost was less than $50 disregarding the Modulr purchase. Not only that, I have a completely functional case that can stay on the ipad when mounting in the car which can not be said for several of the pricey options available. And I can pop it out of the car, still in the case, and pop on a quick stand for using in portrait of landscape mode on a desk at home or the office. Not only that I can add on at my pace as the Modulr system is expanded, should I choose to do so.

Of course my setup is not for everyone and it's not as cheap as I had hoped, but considering flexibility, build quality and price - it was the best setup for me.

freekyFX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand. I just thought that you were saying that your setup was cheaper than most.

I personally didn't want the permanently mounted flex-mount attached to the seat frame in my truck. I ended up spending $150, but that gives me two mounting options. I can use the magnetic foot and short arm to mount it in my cup holder, or I can use the suction cup mount with the longer arm to mount it on my windshield. I also have the benefit of driving a much larger vehicle, so space is not a limiting factor like it is in the tiny

Oh, and I misspoke. The mount I was referring to was Vmatti's. His is the one I put a picture and a link to. Sorry.

Last edited:

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somehow in my photo iPad looks so big meaning that my Audi is so small compared to your nice Ford :)

Yes, I agree that good and reasonable priced navigation app is just now missing. Any proposals?

Not to derail the mount thread, but you guys should try MotionX Drive HD if you havent...only iPad turn by turn I know of, and works awesome for me...

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I ordered the Ram Mounts RAM-B-138-AP8LU, which is the locking surface mount for the iPad. I also ordered the RAP-339U, which is the 2 1/2" triple magnetic base. I picked up two 3" diameter magnets from Harbor Freight and mounted them under my cup holders in my truck, which is a 2008 Ford F250. Hopefully, the magnetic base will hold firmly in either cup holder. I will report back with pictures on Tuesday.

Hey man, on the lock, how secure do you feel that is? If someone broke in, that wont really prevent them from stealing it I'm guessing, right? Guessing they could just snap the base off if they really wanted it?? Install looks great BTW.

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand. I just thought that you were saying that your setup was cheaper than most.

I personally didn't want the permanently mounted flex-mount attached to the seat frame in my truck. I ended up spending $150, but that gives me two mounting options. I can use the magnetic foot and short arm to mount it in my cup holder, or I can use the suction cup mount with the longer arm to mount it on my windshield. I also have the benefit of driving a much larger vehicle, so space is not a limiting factor like it is in the tiny

Oh, and I misspoke. The mount I was referring to was Vmatti's. His is the one I put a picture and a link to. Sorry.

No worries and don't get me wrong, I love your setup too. In fact, I'd probably take the same approach if I could use that thing with the modulr case. You've even got me thinking about tinkering around with what I have to do something similar. The Prius is my daily driver (usually), but I have several other vehicles in the stable (including an 09 Armada believe it or not, :D) - so the flexibility of moving it from vehicle to vehicle is very attractive.

Off topic, but you'd love my neighbor's truck. Check out Pickups Plus Cars - Car Accessories/Truck Accessories/SUV Accessories in Columbus, Hilliard & Lewis Center Ohio. Automotive Dyno Tuning GET ACCESSORIZED! - he has pictures of his custom Duramax Diesel, among others.

GiPad, I use MotionX GPS drive too and love it. Works great for me, too!

freekyFX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just snapped a couple pictures with my DroidX of my iPad in the Ram-Mount cradle with the suction cup arm attached. This thing really makes a great desktop stand!

2010-09-14_21-50-22_388.jpg

2010-09-14_21-50-52_295.jpg

And I turned it around so you could see the back of the cradle.

2010-09-14_22-58-28_916.jpg

Last edited:

Vmatti

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not to derail the mount thread, but you guys should try MotionX Drive HD if you havent...only iPad turn by turn I know of, and works awesome for me...

Yes I have, but turn-by-turn navigation with the voice is missing in that one, or have I just missed that feature?

freekyFX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few pictures of the iPad mounted in my daughter's '08 VW Beetle. Since she went to college last month, I have been driving this car a lot.

2010-09-15_01-14-40_729.jpg

2010-09-15_01-14-26_60.jpg

2010-09-15_01-14-11_929.jpg

2010-09-15_01-12-31_207.jpg

Hugomartin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vmatti,

What the model of your audi? I am also thinking about buying a ram mount for my audi q7 but my concern is the base mounted in my seat rail, did you had any issues? Can you place a picture of the base mounted in the seat rail??

Most reactions

Latest posts