What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just ordered my car mount...

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How the tilt/swivel mount works over bumps and vibration? I mean, some of it is expected even if it was hard mounted into the dash, but how much of it can be reduced by tightening the moveable parts? Do you have to tight it enough to stop it from tilting and swiveling, or it just works?

Thanks for the pictures. I can easily see the iPad on my Sequoia (there's a 12.1" tablet already, plenty of room for an iPad. Now on my FX, not so much. It's going to block the nav screen and everything else...But RAM mounts on the FX is not an option, so I'm thinking about this solution...but if it vibrates too much while driving or moves while touching the screen/home button, etc...

Please share some more info! THANKS! :)

OP
A

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How the tilt/swivel mount works over bumps and vibration? I mean, some of it is expected even if it was hard mounted into the dash, but how much of it can be reduced by tightening the moveable parts? Do you have to tight it enough to stop it from tilting and swiveling, or it just works?

Thanks for the pictures. I can easily see the iPad on my Sequoia (there's a 12.1" tablet already, plenty of room for an iPad. Now on my FX, not so much. It's going to block the nav screen and everything else...But RAM mounts on the FX is not an option, so I'm thinking about this solution...but if it vibrates too much while driving or moves while touching the screen/home button, etc...

There is a screw adjustment that allows you to control how easily the tilt/swivel works. I was concerned...Michigan has some of the worst roads in the nation and the bumps have no effect on the mount. It is a quality setup.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
c7fd2935.jpg

That looks sweet man! I think I'm going to order the kit for my Sequoia!

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

@Ripplinghurst - sounds like you have a Sequoia also. Mine is a 2002, and it looks like the mount goes over the double din radio chassis (or clips on the top and botom of it). I have an aftermarket Kenwood iPod/DVD setup (that I could care a less about pretty much now)...but wondering how this might work? What have you found for your Sequoia (or is yours a brand new one?

@AppSlappy - thanks again for the pic. It looks like your setup is similar to what mine would be. So, it is covering up your stereo head, correct? Do you find that to be a problem? Also, I know you can remove the iPad from the bracket, but does that entire bracket easily come off, or is it pretty fixed once you mount it?

I'm not sure what to do on my Sequoia now...

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Sequoia is a 2008, not brand new at all, but it's the new model. Mine either clips close to a vent or on the side of the console, I guess.

I'm using a custom made RAM mount support base inside the center console, with a RAM mount system on top of it. The way it works is that I use heavy gauge steel support hidden inside the console and only the 1.5" RAM ball is apparent in between cupholders/map holders. With that 1.5" ball as a base, I can pretty much fit anything I want, from a tablet to the iPad (as soon as the parts arrive).

I'll post pictures later.

EDIT: here's the pictures. You can see I also adapted an Ergotron single pivot holder in between two ram parts, so that I can tilt and swivel without knobs. The top most RAM part is one that I can use to support different cradles for different devices with no tools or knob twisting necessary. Just slide and lock. One has a cradle for the tablet (LE 1700). Tee cradle for the iPad is arriving mid June.

Note that the whole assembly can easily be hidden inside the center storage console if needed. WAF=10! :)

0_0_1f225e6420e94d3907c35e105c00cfe1_1

0_0_5d3daa4b6e6b5ed32789db2a00c539e0_1

Last edited:

AAD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has installed the padholdr.com mount. I have it in both of my cars and I love it.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has installed the padholdr.com mount. I have it in both of my cars and I love it.

I didn't want to attach a mount to my a/c vents. A bit too much of a kludge.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really into car mounts.

I have car mounts for my GPS, my iPhone, my reversing camera, as well as a mount in the rear seats for my little monster's entertainment system cum food tray :D

Now I'm thinking if I should get a mount for my iPad as well. If the price is reasonable, I don't mind forking out $50 or less for it.

However, as my windscreen is already cluttered with the other mounts, I can only use a makeshift nylon string tied across my aircon ducting on my dashboard.

It's crude, but it works......

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nice concept, but doesn't look like it's for me:

Requires drilling? If so, reason #1 I don't like it.
Can not use with a case? If so, reason #2.
$150 plus shipping? See #1 & #2 and this becomes reason #3.

I'll be modifying a no-drill mount that will probably cost less than $75, excluding the cost of the case I plan to use to make this work. I will be using the ModulR case and slim mount to bring this all together. While technically the cost will be comparable if you add it all up - it will be way more flexible for my needs and provide added protection for the ipad.

AAD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of our mounts require no drilling just bolting a bracket to factory bolts behind trim panels. We don't make a vent attachment either. All of our kits are vehicle specific.

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Don't know if my browser is acting up or what, but I can't seem to get the make or model portion to give me options for my vehicle.

Anyone have this problem on the ProClip site?

RonShort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested in how the proclip or others are on damaging/scratching the ipad as you insert/remove it over and over...

Thanks...

wbp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of our mounts require no drilling just bolting a bracket to factory bolts behind trim panels. We don't make a vent attachment either. All of our kits are vehicle specific.

Please tell me more about your mount. I do not like using air vent - for one thing it blocks the air, for another it doesn't seem secure enough for something this heavy and expensive.

Prefer email: wm (@) usa.net

Would have put this in a PM but haven't done enough posts yet...

Thanks,
William

Most reactions

Latest posts