What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jot Script Stylus: First Look

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
just received my most recent stylus purchase: a Jot Script. I thought I would share my first reactions with you Here are a couple of photos: The first is an overall shot and the second a closer shot of the "business end"---the nib. Though ony time will tell, I am totally thrilled! It looks and handles much like a high quality ballpoint pen. No floppy plastic disk to deal with, and thus far (knock on Gorilla Glass!) no skipping. I earlier purchased a Jot Touch and feel it was a complete mistake, but unless the behavior of the instrument does a complete about face I think have an extremely useful tool here. The only downside, like the Tesla, is the price! BTW, it runs off a AAA battery and the on-off switch is the small ring band near the middle.

Attachments

• image-1735647750.jpg
    image-1735647750.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 610
  • image-2973526965.jpg
    image-2973526965.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice to finally see it. I have one on order (the 'Evernote Edition'), but God only knows when it'll be shipped.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice! Looks like something that I need so I might either pick up one myself or ask Santa for one :D

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm ordering one of these on Friday! I've been so spoiled with my Galaxy Note 2 & the S Pen that I have to have something for my iPad Mini...based on the reviews I saw this looks like the best for note taking...!!

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I now must moderate my enthusiasm just a bit. When annotating a large pdf file in apps like Good Reader, Good Notes, iAnnotate, and the lije, the inking response is way too slow. For straightforward handwriting in my favorite app Goodnotes, it is very nice. Good precision. This is true for at least some of tge other apps, but annotating large files is a problem. I don't care for Penultimate, the app it was apparently designed for, because it doesn't have many of the nice features of others--such as a zoom window. Therefore, I haven't done more than give it a passing try.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I now must moderate my enthusiasm just a bit. When annotating a large pdf file in apps like Good Reader, Good Notes, iAnnotate, and the lije, the inking response is way too slow. For straightforward handwriting in my favorite app Goodnotes, it is very nice. Good precision. This is true for at least some of tge other apps, but annotating large files is a problem. I don't care for Penultimate, the app it was apparently designed for, because it doesn't have many of the nice features of others--such as a zoom window. Therefore, I haven't done more than give it a passing try.

I saw in a few of the reviews that Penultimate doesn't handle the palm rejection well either...always leaving extra marks. I've heard Good Notes is VERY good with this pen. Have you tried Evernote with this stylus?

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw in a few of the reviews that Penultimate doesn't handle the palm rejection well either...always leaving extra marks. I've heard Good Notes is VERY good with this pen. Have you tried Evernote with this stylus?
Yes, Goodnotes seems to work fine as long as the file isn't large, but annotating a pdf file of even a few pages is hard. I tried Penultimate but not very well because it doesn't have a zoom window-which is a killer for me. It is awful for such a file in Good Reader as well. Noteshelf seems to work fairly well with it, as do Zoom Notes and Note Anytime. I think the stylus is a fine idea, but Adonit is guilty of caving in to the "time to market" syndrome: the cash return on a new product depends much more strongly on time to market than upon the quality of that product. Thus, the idea is to let the purchaser be the beta tester. (Maybe even the alpha tester?) The Script certainly has the potential to be a groundbreaking advance in stylus technology, but I think Adonit is blowing it royally. P.S. Evwn while writing this response the stylus simply decided several times to turn itself off!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been re-thinking if I NEED a pressure sensitive stylus...I may just get the Jot Pro (1st edition seems to have better reviews & is $10 cheaper on Amazon)...I only really need to use it to take notes. The stylus I'm using now (I forgot the name of it but the tip is not rubber, but the same material used on the "touch gloves) writes great but having the larger tip sometimes makes it harder to see what I'm writing...and my handwriting is disgusting enough as it is!!! The Jot Pro seems like it would be perfect for note taking...and about 95% of the reviews are positive.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a note-taking-handwriting-junkie with the folder full of notetaking apps and a handful of stylus. My most recent being the Adonit Jot Touch and I've ordered the Adonit Script. A week or so ago, it said it would ship within 1-2 weeks and I see today it says 4-6? I'm hoping to get it soon and that it would be the answer to my stylus search...we will see.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I don't care for Penultimate, the app it was apparently designed for, because it doesn't have many of the nice features of others--such as a zoom window. Therefore, I haven't done more than give it a passing try.

Probably added after you wrote this, but Penultimate was updated with a zoom feature. I've only been able to try it with my finger, but it seems to work well, once you get used to the auto-scrolling.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noted this in another thread but i've used the Jot Classic for years--Ipad one, Three and now Air. I'm not sure why anyone worries about the disc-I have used one daily in a number of apps without any problem. Long ago I learned about applying a substance (will have to look tomorrow to see its name) I bought at Radio Shack--to the disc to stop skipping. i applied once several years ago and have never applied again--and as I said I use it a number of times each day. Noteshelf, Noteability, Goodreader, Bamboo, Paper, Procreate, etc--with wrist protection where they have it. I recently bought a second Classic from Amazon as backup. It feels like a ballpoint pen in use and my handwriting looks the same as on paper. It is not BT and so it does not have the pressure sensitivity that I am used to with my Wacom graphics tablet on my PC (longtime Wacom user) but otherwise its terrific.

Checked for the compound that solved all skipping, etc issues with Adonit Jot Classic (Mini, etc). You apply "polysynthetic silver thermal compound" available at Radio Shack (and I'm sure other places from Arctic Silver)

Last edited:

Most reactions