What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some impressions of the Jot Script Stylus

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There were a couple of threads a while back on the Jot Script, so I just thought I'd share my impressions. This finally arrived after I had initially ordered it at the end of October, and I used it all yesterday evening, drawing and taking notes.

First of all, the Jot Script worked quite seamlessly with my drawing (Sketchbook Pro, ArtStudio) and note-taking (Penultimate) apps. The point moved on the screen quite smoothly, and the pressure sensitivity seems to work well. Palm rejection worked well in ArtStudio, but not quite so well in Penultimate...there were occasional stray marks here and there. Sketchbook Pro, unless I'm completely missing something, doesn't support palm rejection.

Secondly, the Jot Script works just fine on all my devices (IPad Air, iPad Mini, and iPhone 4S), although it's performance, perhaps obviously, was considerably better on the Air.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the power button; it's a bit hard to find and press sometimes, especially if you're lying on your bed with a lamp on and an iPad on your knees. By the way, the power shuts off after a couple of minutes of inactivity to save battery life.

So far, I like the Jot Script, and I'm definitely going to get a lot of use out of it.

P.S. I tried to upload a couple of pictures of the Jot Script, but it wouldn't work; not sure why.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So i take it that it has not scratched any of your screens, right? Do you use a screen protector?

OP
E

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No scratches yet, happily, and no, I don't use a screen protector. I could see scratches happening if a small piece of stubborn dirt gets pushed around or ground in by the stylus tip, so I'm going to be vigilant in cleaning the screens (well, I am anyway).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No scratches yet, happily, and no, I don't use a screen protector. I could see scratches happening if a small piece of stubborn dirt gets pushed around or ground in by the stylus tip, so I'm going to be vigilant in cleaning the screens (well, I am anyway).

Great, thanks for the report. I agree, too, that what you describe is the likely way a scratch would happen.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, my experience has been quite different. Jot Script is still my current favorite, but it is IN SPITE OF some rather serious shortcomings. When I attempt to annote a large pdf file, the mark that appears on screen is distinctly offset from the point of the stylus---and there is a time lag that makes writing virtually impossible. I have been able to more or less solve that problem by using portrait orientation because the offset and time lag are much less pronounced than in the landscape mode. Furthermore, the stylus skips occasionally (though this is relatively rare). And it turns off at unexpected times. I think the timeout period is something like three minutes of no activity, but the phenomenon I am discussing here occurs within this window---and randomly. I have found that it works well with Goodnotes, Note Anywhere, Noteshelf, and Zoomnotes---but only in the portrait orientation. Others on the Adonit website blog have had other experiences---BUT VIRTUALLY ALL ARE NEGATIVE. My "bottom line" is that this is a stylus with tremendous potential, but I am afraid that Adonit rushed it to market too soon and we early purchasers are beta testers. If anyone is thinking of purchasing this stylus, they would be well advised to have a look at tge Adonit website blog and evaluate all the comments for themselves. I have bought one of each of the previous Adonit styluses and for the most part am a Jot fan, but I am greatly puzzled at the completely positive comments of the initiator of this thread. It is almost as though he is evaluating a different product from the one I have and those that all those posters on the Adonit website are using. Hmmmmm?

P.S. Check this url and others on the same site: https://getsatisfaction.com/adonit/...tm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

OP
E

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just reporting my own experience, which has been, so far, positive.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just reporting my own experience, which has been, so far, positive.

Yep. Point taken. All experiences with new products are worthwhile. I was just astonished that your experience was so uniformly positive.

You must have gotten a "Wednesday car"---supposedly the best ones that rolled off the Detroit assembly lines back in the day, as they say.

Most reactions

Latest posts