What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JB OS 4.2.1 for iPad

Zelphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Heard OS 4.2.1 was officially released for iPad today.

Any safe working JB now????

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Heard OS 4.2.1 was officially released for iPad today.

Any safe working JB now????

I'm wondering the same thing, but I haven't seen anything yet. I guess we have to wait :(

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can jailbreak it, but Cydia doesn't work yet. They are working on a complete makeover so it will be worth the wait. Right now jailbreaking and installing apps is a much more complicated approach and not a good idea unless you know what your doing.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good find. I will wait till jailbrake ready, then update to new 4.2.1. Knowing me, i get impatient and will probaly update sooner thn later ;-)

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
think I will wait for dino (d7) big fan of his JB vids.

rwijnhov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbreaked using the latest redsnow it tethered but works great.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but if I jailbreak using the redsnow hack, and at some point I power down my ipad, what functionality will I lose when I bring it back up and I haven't "tethered" it? I think I lose Cydia until I actually run redsnow again, correct? Does that mean that any apps that I loaded with Cydia will be unavailable, but everything else will work fine?

I'm trying to decide whether I should wait for an untethered jailbreak, or just go with the current tethered jailbreak.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but if I jailbreak using the redsnow hack, and at some point I power down my ipad, what functionality will I lose when I bring it back up and I haven't "tethered" it? I think I lose Cydia until I actually run redsnow again, correct? Does that mean that any apps that I loaded with Cydia will be unavailable, but everything else will work fine?

I'm trying to decide whether I should wait for an untethered jailbreak, or just go with the current tethered jailbreak.

You are correct. Any Cydia apps and cydia itself will not work until you tether and use redsn0w to reboot the device. However, the standard iPad apps will work.
For the iPad this is not TOO much of an inconvenience because in general we keep the iPad booted up much longer than an iPhone. However, to get the usual suspects running (cydia, ssh, winterboard, sbsettings, etc.) loaded you need to do a tethered boot around 3 or 4 times (depending on how many you install in one go). After the initial "load" of key apps though, you should be good to go...
Personally I find it hard to recommend a tethered JB to people, but if you are comfortable with the details then give it a shot...

Also, a wee tip for you. If Cydia presents you with the "reboot device" button after installing something, do not select it. Press the home button to come out of Cydia and power down the iPad. They you will be good to do the tethered boot using Redsn0w. If you let Cydia reboot the iPad you end up in the unjailbroken state and need to power down anyway... Just saves a minute of frustration!

Last edited:

supermorik

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You are correct. Any Cydia apps and cydia itself will not work until you tether and use redsn0w to reboot the device. However, the standard iPad apps will work.
For the iPad this is not TOO much of an inconvenience because in general we keep the iPad booted up much longer than an iPhone. However, to get the usual suspects running (cydia, ssh, winterboard, sbsettings, etc.) loaded you need to do a tethered boot around 3 or 4 times (depending on how many you install in one go). After the initial "load" of key apps though, you should be good to go...
Personally I find it hard to recommend a tethered JB to people, but if you are comfortable with the details then give it a shot...

Also, a wee tip for you. If Cydia presents you with the "reboot device" button after installing something, do not select it. Press the home button to come out of Cydia and power down the iPad. They you will be good to do the tethered boot using Redsn0w. If you let Cydia reboot the iPad you end up in the unjailbroken state and need to power down anyway... Just saves a minute of frustration!

Hi

did u tried at "WINTERBOARD" working on new ipad 4.2.1 ? i just tried but nothing happened!!

supermorik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

did u tried at "WINTERBOARD" working on new ipad 4.2.1 ? i just tried but nothing happened!!

Yes, I have Glasklart HD running through Winterboard.... You did reboot tethered using redsn0w, right?

after too many try i just installed winterboard and everythings was ok until i did a reboot ,now its waithing on "apple logo" !!!:(

update:i fixed the problem everything is ok but i think that new jailbreaking mod is not stable yet !

Last edited:

twikoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having a heck of a time with the redsnow jb

downloaded the ipsw and redsnow from the same location
went to itunes and restored to the ipsw
started redsnow, pointed to current ipsw file, it verifies fine
go through the steps, everything seems OK through the power/home buttons.. then it goes to uploading ramdisk and just sits there forever.. some times it stops at 5 bars, sometimes at 6, sometimes at 8, etc... eventually it reboots, despite redsnow appearing to be stuck, but no cydia

running this from x64 win7.. i assume there isnt an issue with running on 64bit os?

supermorik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having a heck of a time with the redsnow jb

downloaded the ipsw and redsnow from the same location
went to itunes and restored to the ipsw
started redsnow, pointed to current ipsw file, it verifies fine
go through the steps, everything seems OK through the power/home buttons.. then it goes to uploading ramdisk and just sits there forever.. some times it stops at 5 bars, sometimes at 6, sometimes at 8, etc... eventually it reboots, despite redsnow appearing to be stuck, but no cydia

running this from x64 win7.. i assume there isnt an issue with running on 64bit os?

did u tried with another and original syn cable??

twikoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nope, not yet.. hadnt really thought about it.. since Ive always been able to sync with this one..
even just did a restore of my apps a few minutes ago through this cable

i take it that the 'uploading ramdisk' part is supposed to go pretty quick?

supermorik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nope, not yet.. hadnt really thought about it.. since Ive always been able to sync with this one..
even just did a restore of my apps a few minutes ago through this cable

i take it that the 'uploading ramdisk' part is supposed to go pretty quick?

i could be cable ,i had same prob .try to use original ipad cable

redownload ur packages like Redsnow and ipsw ...

Most reactions

Latest posts