What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downgrade and JB possible? Or JB later?

Mjbz68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post on iPadpforums. I'm new to the iPad, in fact i just got mine yesterday, however im not new to the interface. I owned an iPhone for 4 years until recently and had jalbroken several of them over the years. When I JB the iPhone it was always a simple procedure that was usually I click like blackra1n. The current procedure for JB is in a beta stage so i don't want to do 4.2.1 JB until the bluetooth problem is fixed.

My question is, is it possible to downgrade my ipad from 4.2.1 to a version that has an easy and solid jailbreak? If so which version is that and which method should i use? If not, when is a solid JB coming out for 4.2.1?

Thanks so much for any help!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't be able to go down to 3.2.2 as Apple stopped signing that firmware some time ago... and if you just got your iPad you won't have its SHSH blobs stored for 3.2.2.

Finally, the current untethered jb requires SHSH blobs saved for 4.2 beta 3, which you also would not have.

So your only option is the tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak, which is not all that bad on an iPad. I used that for over a month with no issues.

Michael

OP
M

Mjbz68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Seems to me like my best option currently is just to leave the iPad as is for now until a less buggy untethered JB is released for 4.2.1.

I guess I could JB tethered since the battery life on the iPad is so good. But I will probably just wait until they fix the bluetooth issues and release an official JB.

Thanks again for your help fellow ipadforums users! I've read a lot of useful and interesting things on this forum already and LOVE it!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the record I am unaware of any "bugs" in the tethered jailbreak. (being tethered is not a bug). I would not wait on the assumption that untethered will be "less buggy". The only reason to wait IMHO is if you are fundamentally opposed to being tethered or know an app you specifically rely on is not 4.2.1 compatible yet.
Remember, the tethered jb does have a perfectly working Bluetooth stack. The untethered version does not.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that Activator & Infinidock are working on 4.2 I finally went ahead and jail broke with the tethered jailbreak. I've been holding out on 3.2.1 all this time. A couple Cydia apps required me to reboot but most only need a respring, resprings don't require you be tethered to your computer.
I say go ahead and do it as it's really a non-issue once you get all your Cydia apps set up. Extremely stable in my opinion. And it's only a matter of days before the untethered JB comes out.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Activator & Infinidock are working on 4.2 I finally went ahead and jail broke with the tethered jailbreak. I've been holding out on 3.2.1 all this time. A couple Cydia apps required me to reboot but most only need a respring, resprings don't require you be tethered to your computer.
I say go ahead and do it as it's really a non-issue once you get all your Cydia apps set up. Extremely stable in my opinion. And it's only a matter of days before the untethered JB comes out.

Hallelujah, another tethered convert. Congratulations Ksane!

OP
M

Mjbz68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the corrections so my misconceptions! So then..... Can this even be done on a windows computer? I'm assuming not since the only redsn0w releases I've seen are only for Mac.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethered is for PC or Mac.... untethered only for Mac at the moment. Untethered for Windows soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts