What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak is it ok?

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
Well I flashed my Nookcolor a while back
And it work so much better, I can do everything I could before and it releases things the manufacturer hid, like did you know the Nookcolor
Has a Bluetooth capability ?

Well to the point
The flash,jailbreak, or hacking method did leave 1 minor deficiency, it will not update from the manufacturer, the operating system is stuck where I hacked it to and only changes when I re-flash it to a new build
So my question is, would jail breaking the iPad 2 result in thee same problem?
Would I be
Out of the "update, circle of trust" from Apple? I gotta think yes...let's here from those who have done it

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jimmy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think, but I'm not sure that when you jailbreak it you can update it but you have to wait a bit for the people to jailbreak the new software? Think that's right?

 Sent from my iPad 32gb (3rd generation) using iPF  Add me on dragonvale please! GC - james_oc_24 ⚡

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you jailbreak your iPad you can choose to restore it at any time to the latest version of IOS.
When you do this you will of course lose the jailbreak and any additional functionality which you gain through the process, since all traces that the device was ever jailbroken are removed by the restore process.
So in a sense, you are locked out of the "circle of trust" as you put it, but you can choose to rejoin at any time by simply pressing "restore".

If you have 5.0.1 on your device I would suggest you research by using our Hacking Section (check the Apps/Tweaks and Themes sub-forums) to see what is possible. If you don't have 5.0.1 you are out of luck at the moment. A 5.1 jailbreak is expected soon, but it could still be many weeks away.

If you feel like you want to give it a try, just back up your device (to iCloud or iTunes), jailbreak (see our tutorials for how to do this), and if things don't work out or you don't like it for any reason just restore your device and restore your backup from iCloud or iTunes. Everything will be back to the way it was.

Hope that helps.

OP
Contra

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
f4780y said:
If you jailbreak your iPad you can choose to restore it at any time to the latest version of IOS.
When you do this you will of course lose the jailbreak and any additional functionality which you gain through the process, since all traces that the device was ever jailbroken are removed by the restore process.
So in a sense, you are locked out of the "circle of trust" as you put it, but you can choose to rejoin at any time by simply pressing "restore".

If you have 5.0.1 on your device I would suggest you research by using our Hacking Section (check the Apps/Tweaks and Themes sub-forums) to see what is possible. If you don't have 5.0.1 you are out of luck at the moment. A 5.1 jailbreak is expected soon, but it could still be many weeks away.

If you feel like you want to give it a try, just back up your device (to iCloud or iTunes), jailbreak (see our tutorials for how to do this), and if things don't work out or you don't like it for any reason just restore your device and restore your backup from iCloud or iTunes. Everything will be back to the way it was.

Hope that helps.

That does and makes me feel better, now one last question
What are
The advantages to jail breaking
I know you can install
Software that Apple didn't want you to have and use the SD reader that was meant for photos to use it for anything else
But what else?

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contra said:
That does and makes me feel better, now one last question
What are
The advantages to jail breaking
I know you can install
Software that Apple didn't want you to have and use the SD reader that was meant for photos to use it for anything else
But what else?

Can add cool themes

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well there is piracy you can do but is illegal at least I think but I won't go no further Into that cause you can't discuss things like that on the forums

Seriously? You know our rules. Not discussing the subject means NOT discussing it. Piracy is illegal and we do not support or condone it here. It is NOT the reason to jailbreak.

OP, can I suggest you start looking at these threads:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

and the various threads in these sections:
Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks
iPad Themes

Last edited:
OP
Contra

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
Understood, but I never asked, nor do I do
Any illegal things to my computer or such
Just wanted to know the benefit, I will check out those threads

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contra said:
Understood, but I never asked, nor do I do
Any illegal things to my computer or such
Just wanted to know the benefit, I will check out those threads

Very glad to hear that. To be clear, that part of the comment was directed at the member who suggested it to you, not at you yourself. They later edited their original message as you can see above.

Hop you find all the information you need in the Hacking Section. If not, please feel free to ask more questions once you have reviewed the info...

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contra said:
K thanks...still new to my iPad, only had it 4 days...lol

We were all iPad n00bs once :) It's absolutely right that you take your time and do your research, especially when it comes to hacking. It is a very safe process, but you should always take your time to understand it so that you don't make any silly mistakes. Don't feel pressurised to rush anything.

Most reactions