What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jailbreak confusion

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a IPAD first generation. I'm currently running IOS 3.2 jailbroken. I was wondering, can I use a payload update or I.m obligated to use a custom firmware ? Should I update my ipad with Itunes and after this part, running any jailbreak version. Is the latest update 4.3.3 ?

What is the simplest way for me to update my ipad with a jailbreak firmware ?

thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
G

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Graywolf. Will it mean a complete wipeout of my system (files, setting and everything) ?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gouletjo said:
Thanks Graywolf. Will it mean a complete wipeout of my system (files, setting and everything) ?

When you update with iTunes, it Keeps all your files.

Last edited:
OP
G

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First thanks. Ok, I have to admit even after reading some of the sticky posts I'm still a little lost. I bought the apps from Cydia that allow the backing up of my packages. I can't used Dropbox because of my old firmware. I added a lot of great pdf books in Goodreaders will I lost them after my firmware update from Itunes ?

There is a lot of jailbreak possibilities ranging from payload to custom but is it better to start off from scratch in terms of bugs or comptability issues ? Which is one of hacked firmware group is the most reliable or less buggy ?

Thanks!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are lost. You are jailbroken now right?
I personally would use pkgbackup (from Cydia) and back everything up, update to 4.3.3 via iTunes, and jailbreak with redsnow and then use pkgbackup to restore all your hack stuff.
The most reliable (and most popular) tools would probably be;
-Redsn0w
-Greenpoison
-Snowbreeze
-Spirit (older softwares, I think)
-Limera1n
-Jailbreakme.com (older softwares)

(how about that Leigh? :))

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First thanks. Ok, I have to admit even after reading some of the sticky posts I'm still a little lost. I bought the apps from Cydia that allow the backing up of my packages. I can't used Dropbox because of my old firmware. I added a lot of great pdf books in Goodreaders will I lost them after my firmware update from Itunes ?

There is a lot of jailbreak possibilities ranging from payload to custom but is it better to start off from scratch in terms of bugs or comptability issues ? Which is one of hacked firmware group is the most reliable or less buggy ?

Thanks!

Hi. Yes, because you are on 3.x, dropbox is not a feature of PkgBackup. However, you can still use the "contact" method of backup, provided you then email or sync the contact which contains your backup information off of the iPad, then get it back on as a first step once the restore is done.

However, personally I would bit the bullet and take this opportunity to start with a fresh 4.3.3 jailbreak. I know it is a bit of a pain, but with such a significant upgrade it is much safer IMHO.

Most reactions

Latest posts