What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to jailbreak iPad 1 with firmware 4.2.1

brtdud7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I obtained an iPad 1 from a relative who upgraded to the iPad 2. It is currently running firmware 4.2.1. Would the easiest way to jailbreak it to be to use a program like greenpoison directly, or upgrade it to 5.0.1 and then jailbreak it? Or maybe only upgrade it to 4.3.3 and then use jailbreakme.com?

Also, if I jailbreak it, do I then never update the firmware again? I don't know much about this process.

Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I obtained an iPad 1 from a relative who upgraded to the iPad 2. It is currently running firmware 4.2.1. Would the easiest way to jailbreak it to be to use a program like greenpoison directly, or upgrade it to 5.0.1 and then jailbreak it? Or maybe only upgrade it to 4.3.3 and then use jailbreakme.com?

Also, if I jailbreak it, do I then never update the firmware again? I don't know much about this process.

Thanks.

Couple of questions before we can help:

Has that iPad ever been jail broken before? Or, do you know if the original owner ever saved SHSH blobs?

Because, if you don't have SHSH blobs for iOS firmwares 5.0.1 or 4.3.3, then you cannot upgrade to those firmwares for jail breaking. Without saved SHSH blobs, the only thing you can do is upgrade to iOS 5.1 and then do a tethered jail break. Or, you can stay at iOS 4.2.1 and jail break that...

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend the "staying at 4.2.1" option. That iOS is real old and many jail break tweaks (if not all) are optimized now to run on iOS 5.x. Besides, with an iPad, it's not that big a deal to run a tethered jail break...

But, all that is moot if you have those SHSH blobs. So, tell us what you got and we can help more.

Marilyn

OP
B

brtdud7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple of questions before we can help:

Has that iPad ever been jail broken before? Or, do you know if the original owner ever saved SHSH blobs?

Because, if you don't have SHSH blobs for iOS firmwares 5.0.1 or 4.3.3, then you cannot upgrade to those firmwares for jail breaking. Without saved SHSH blobs, the only thing you can do is upgrade to iOS 5.1 and then do a tethered jail break. Or, you can stay at iOS 4.2.1 and jail break that...

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend the "staying at 4.2.1" option. That iOS is real old and many jail break tweaks (if not all) are optimized now to run on iOS 5.x. Besides, with an iPad, it's not that big a deal to run a tethered jail break...

But, all that is moot if you have those SHSH blobs. So, tell us what you got and we can help more.

Marilyn

Thanks for replying.

It has never been jailbroken or had blobs saved before. I'm not quite sure what those are (besides being used for jailbreaking), but I know nothing has been done with those. It's basically just normal iPad 1 running 4.2.1

Would you recommend then just updating to 5.1 and running a tethered jailbreak with redsn0w (or some other program)? I guess I'll just have to make sure the battery never goes out on it then so that the jailbreak doesn't disappear, right?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

It has never been jailbroken or had blobs saved before. I'm not quite sure what those are (besides being used for jailbreaking), but I know nothing has been done with those. It's basically just normal iPad 1 running 4.2.1

Would you recommend then just updating to 5.1 and running a tethered jailbreak with redsn0w (or some other program)? I guess I'll just have to make sure the battery never goes out on it then so that the jailbreak doesn't disappear, right?

Yes, that would be my recommendation - upgrade to iOS 5.1 and then doing a tethered jailbreak.

And, the jail break won't disappear should you lose power (whether by turning it off, rebooting it or running the battery down). If any of those happen, you just have to connect the iPad back to the computer, launch redsn0w and select the "just boot" option. The redsn0w program will walk through the steps to reboot it.

So, you won't lose your jail break. You'll just have to have your computer handy if you ever power the iPad down.

Hope this helps ... and reassures.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts