What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jail-breaking Chrome and making it the default browser on Ipad 3?

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know its possible but was wondering if someone could point in the right direction with regard to online instructions.

Further, does this version of Chrome have "back/forward-swipe" gestures too?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know its possible but was wondering if someone could point in the right direction with regard to online instructions.

Further, does this version of Chrome have "back/forward-swipe" gestures too?

You can't make any other browser the default browser on your iPad, jailbroken or not, without a lot of work. Even then it's not problem free. Also, every app is designed to open in safari as a default.

Last edited:

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are jailbroken then you can get a tweak called Browser Changer and make any browser your default browser, even Chrome

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can make Chrome your default browser if you (1) jail break the iPad and (2) install either the "Browser Changer" or "BrowserChooser" tweaks from Cydia (both free tweaks). Cydia is the jail breaker's "AppStore" that gets loaded when you jail break. Visiting it to get free or paid tweaks is just like Apple's AppStore - you press an icon.

Then, when you select a link that would normally open in Safari - Chrome will open instead. Of course, you have to have Chrome installed from the AppStore, which is the only place from which you can get the app. But, it's free, also, so there's that...

If you need instructions on how to jail break your iPad, and you are running 5.1.1 6.0, 6.1.1 or 6.1.2, then see this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html. This will tell you which jail breaking tool you'll need to use.

Hope this helped.

Marilyn

OP
K

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can make Chrome your default browser if you (1) jail break the iPad and (2) install either the "Browser Changer" or "BrowserChooser" tweaks from Cydia (both free tweaks). Cydia is the jail breaker's "AppStore" that gets loaded when you jail break. Visiting it to get free or paid tweaks is just like Apple's AppStore - you press an icon.

Then, when you select a link that would normally open in Safari - Chrome will open instead. Of course, you have to have Chrome installed from the AppStore, which is the only place from which you can get the app. But, it's free, also, so there's that...

If you need instructions on how to jail break your iPad, and you are running 5.1.1 6.0, 6.1.1 or 6.1.2, then see this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html. This will tell you which jail breaking tool you'll need to use.

Hope this helped.

Marilyn

Thank you Marilyn.

Are there any real dangers in Jailbreaking?

All I want is to have a browser that uses gestures. Theres not much else I am looking for.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest danger you have right now, if you're jailbroken on iOS 6.1.2, is if you get yourself into a situation requiring a restore. This will erase your jailbreak and restore your iPad to iOS 6.1.3, which has no jailbreak.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn.

Are there any real dangers in Jailbreaking?

All I want is to have a browser that uses gestures. Theres not much else I am looking for.

Jailbreaking your device should be relatively risk free, especially as you only want one simple tweak. I've done this to plenty of iPads for my friends (just to install one or two minor tweaks). You will not even notice it is there, other than the fact that you can set Chrome (or any other browser) to be the IOS default.

Follow our very simple guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...jailbreak-ipad-ios-6-0-6-1-using-evasi0n.html

Then open Cydia (the jailbreak app store), and install BrowserChanger. Let the device respring, and when you go to the iPad Settings App, you should see a section about half way down with Browser Changer, and you can choose which 3rd party browser from any you have installed to be the default.

Then you can simply go about your business and forget about the JB. (unless of course we can entice you with some other cool tweaks over time :))

If you run into any problems you know where we are...

Good luck.

OP
K

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking your device should be relatively risk free, especially as you only want one simple tweak. I've done this to plenty of iPads for my friends (just to install one or two minor tweaks). You will not even notice it is there, other than the fact that you can set Chrome (or any other browser) to be the IOS default.

Follow our very simple guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...jailbreak-ipad-ios-6-0-6-1-using-evasi0n.html

Then open Cydia (the jailbreak app store), and install BrowserChanger. Let the device respring, and when you go to the iPad Settings App, you should see a section about half way down with Browser Changer, and you can choose which 3rd party browser from any you have installed to be the default.

Then you can simply go about your business and forget about the JB. (unless of course we can entice you with some other cool tweaks over time :))

If you run into any problems you know where we are...

Good luck.

Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts