What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes reduce photo quality!!

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
When ever i try to sync my PNG photos from my Pc, i turn to ipad i i find that the images are reduced and converted to jpgs.
I am using transparent images and it really is important for me to figure this one out.

Anybody has any idea what could be the problem here, am i not gonna be able to sync the images out of the pc in PNG formats as it is!!

Thank you in advance :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using iTunes on the computer to sync albums, then the pictures are getting converted and optimized for viewing on the iPad. This method of syncing photos was never meant for anything more than viewing photos on the iPad. Other than keeping a collection of family pictures to show relatives, most of us have given up on using iTunes to sync photos. If for no other reason than you also have to use iTunes to edit or delete the photos and their albums.

If you need to transfer photos to the iPad as originals you can use several methods and/or apps. DropBox works fine, though you'll have to copy the photos from the DropBox app to the Photos app if you wan to use them in other apps.

I'm also fond of this PhotoSync app. It will let you transfer photos and videos between your computer and iOS devices. There is a free companion app for the computer which makes the job easier; though it's not required.

Lots of other apps as well. Search the forum or App Store for photo sync/transfer/management apps. The subject comes up a lot

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot i will give that ago

Sent from Tapatalk Pro for iPad

Last edited:
OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that if used these apps they will add the picture to the camera roll and not as albums, is that correct !?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, one other thing. I don't know if Apple has fixed it, but transparent png files often end up with weird thumbnails. It seems that the thumbnail files of older pictures can hang around, and a transparent png will overlay it's thumbnail on top of the old one. It's confusing, but it does not affect the actual pictures when you open or use it.

This might have been fixed in iOS 7. I haven't had a reason to play with transparent png files since the update.

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is exactly what i mean from the very beginning, that only my png photos gets converted to rather a very poor quality images, and i seriously can not find a work around this except that i have to rebuild my photo library each time i update my ios, which is very frustrating.

I am actually on ios7

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would it help if i removed the thumbnails files from my photos folder on pc and have it rebuild them, so are you actually able to transfer png images successfully from your machine to the ios device!?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm only talking about the thumbnails. The little versions you see in list and other views that you click on to see the full sized picture. I've never had a problem with the actual image of the transparent png, as long as I don't use iTunes to sync it.

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh i understand, here is a question, are you able to build photo libraries on pc then sync them as individual folders!!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Would it help if i removed the thumbnails files from my photos folder on pc and have it rebuild them, so are you actually able to transfer png images successfully from your machine to the ios device!?

Thumbnails are generated on the iPad for use on the iPad, to the best of my knowledge. The thumbnails your PC uses won't be copied to the iPad unless they are included as separate image files, in which case they will be separate images on the iPad, little ones.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh i understand, here is a question, are you able to build photo libraries on pc then sync them as individual folders!!

The only way, that I know of, to create multiple albums from a folder in the Photos app on the iPad is through iTunes. And we've already determined that iTunes isn't going to work for what you want.

The other two possibilities are to use a cloud or online service to store your photos. Both DropBox and Box can sync folders between your iPad and computer, with the ability to keep selected files/folder local on the iPad. However, the basic (free) accounts don't include enough storage for a large collection of photos and albums/folders.

Sites that specialize in photo storage and sharing offer more space for free. They generally allow for good organization, and in some cases the ability to keep selected folders/photos local on the iPad. But I don't know of any of them that will automatically sync with a folder on you PC.

There are also third party photo organizing/management apps, like Photo Manager Pro. I don't know what kind of import/sync options they have, since I don't use them; but I would not be surprised if a few of them didn't offer some kind of folder syncing option. Though it would probably be somewhat manual in nature.

There is another possibility, one that I use to some extent. I use Aperture for the Mac. This photo management/editing software can sync selected albums to some online services. I use Flickr mostly, but there are a few others. So I can organize albums on the computer, have them sync to Flickr, then use an app on the iPad to view and/or download photos from there when I need them.

All of these solutions have the same drawback. Apps the access the Photos library can not see photos in third party apps. This means you may have to two step when you need to use a photo in an app. You have to go to the app with the photo, save it to the camera roll in Photos, then go to the app you wan to use to load the photo. In some apps it may be possible to use the Open In option from the sharing menu to copy the photo directly to the destination app. Depends on what the developer enabled, and what the destination app accepts as file types.

All this is kind of depressing, but there is some light on the horizon. iOS 8, due out sometime this fall, will greatly increase both the ability of apps to share files and the ability of apps to share functionality. This will offer more options for organizing and sharing photos between apps, if not immediately then eventually, as developers add the new features to their apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts