What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Question please!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to take songs from iTunes and put them on a non-apple iPod? Or is there a way to take a song from iTunes and put it on my computer, but not in iTunes, so I can download it onto my ipod, that is not Apple?

I hope this makes sense ~

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
yes

under preferances and general you should see a button to choose import options.

click that and change the import format to be MP3

save the settings and exit the preferances.

Now you can select the songs you want in itunes and then to to the advanced menubar and select Create MP3 version of selected songs

you will then have an MP3 version of the song that would work on any portable music player.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes

Now you can select the songs you want in itunes and then to to the advanced menubar and select Create MP3 version of selected songs

you will then have an MP3 version of the song that would work on any portable music player.

I knew there was a way!!:)

...unless it's music you bought from Apple? Isn't it protected?

But I think that iVan, here just squashed it. And I think you are right.

BRB

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes

IT WORKED! You are so my hero, Mike!!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...non-apple iPod?
I know this may be picking at nits, but iPod® is a registered trademark of the Apple Inc. While the marketing department might be pleased that the name "iPod" is synonymous with digital music players like Xerox® is to photocopies and Kleenex® is to tissue, the legal department may have issues with it!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
And if you buy your tunes form Amazon, they are already in MP3 format, and DRM free, and play on iPods or any other MP3 Player.

MP3 ins an inferior file format to the AAC file format used by iTunes. AAC can compress the file size to be much smaller while retaining much better quality than MP3. AAC file format can be both with or without DRM. MP3 however is just the more popular format since it has been around longer. Many newer devices are starting to accept the non DRM AAC file format.

The reason the device companies pick and choose file formats is because they have to pay fee's for each one that there device is capable of playing.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Mike, what is DRM?

it stands for Digital Rights Media.

When you purchase a music file with DRM, the DRM is to try and prevent other people from using the music file if for some reason you decide to share it with someone else who hasnt paid for the music they wouldnt be able to play it.

in itunes case DRM songs can only be used with things like official iPods and can only be played on the 5 computers that the owner authorizes.

By converting the song to MP3 you are removing the DRM restrictions and putting it in a file format that pretty much all devices can read.

iTunes has the option to convert to the same AAC file format but with out the DRM however your non apple MP3 Player probably doesn't read AAC.

In the beginning this was something that all the major record label required and fought for to try and prevent music sharing and illegal downloads. But the record companies are finally starting to understand that this is actually hurting the consumers more than it is helping. They purchase a song in one store with a DRM and then later they buy a new music playing device that doesnt support that type of file DRM. They are starting to allow companies to sell the songs without DRM's. Amazon sells in normal MP3 format and iTunes now sells in both DRM and in what they call "PLUS" if you buy a song and it has a PLUS next to the price that means that the song wont have DRM protection (however they charge like 20 cents more for the PLUS songs)

Last edited:

Most reactions