What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes music crashes

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This changes from day to day. 50, 70, 80 but never 100. I used to get to 100 so you could be onto something!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, here's the next try and you are going to love this! I took a photo of every stage until it crashed just in case didn't believe me!

Attachments

• image-1918751508.png
    image-1918751508.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 220

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
90 huh? I don't know then, it is starting to sound more like and internet, or iTunes problem. Some kind of connection problem that is more likely to happen the longer you try, so that once in a while you get a good run.

Is your internet completely stable? Mine sometimes glitches and I've noticed that iTunes is more sensitive to this than most web pages.

You could try it at known low internet activity times, say late at night or very early in the morning. The loads on both your provider and the UK iTunes store should be less then. Or if you've got some hotspots away form home, you could see how they work.

Not that finding this out will help you, only let you know what you may have to live with.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Huh, just notice in your photo that you still have the Show More button. Mine disappeared when I couldn't get the final songs to list, as did yours, apparently, in the first photo.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay you guys, RESULT! I reached 100!!!! I closed all apps and then did the reset button until apple icon and then got to 100. How's that for my faith in you two. Tim for the reset and TwerpPoet for the closing of all apps! I'm so impressed, that has been bugging me for ages. Could you explain why? Is it because I have used up a lot of RAM over the months so the iPad can't take the amount of memory to hold something like the top 100 iTunes songs?

I have to be honest, I do get confused between RAM and gb memory!

Attachments

• image-669890025.png
    image-669890025.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 209
OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Huh, just notice in your photo that you still have the Show More button. Mine disappeared when I couldn't get the final songs to list, as did yours, apparently, in the first photo.

Yeah, it crashed after this photo but as you can see above Tim suggested reset button and voila!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I don't really know everything a reset does, but it probably clears out all kinds of things that get temporarily cached in RAM, and probably several files that may be cached in the flash memory as well. So it's kind of hard to predict what it will or won't fix. That's why we tend to recommend it so often for weird problems.

RAM is volatile memory that the computer uses to actually do things. Volatile means that when power goes, so does anything stored in RAM. It's faster than the flash memory, and a lot faster than the hard drives that computers use in lieu of flash.

RAM is usually a lot smaller than the long term storage of Flash memory. On computers it runs anywhere from 1 - 4 GB, or more for the seriously professional machines. Your iPad 1 has 256 MB. The iPad 2 has 512 MB.

Flash is the long term storage. I does nothing but hold information. In order to do anything with that information it must first be transferred to RAM. It's pretty much the same thing as hard drive space on a computer, only faster, and more expensive. The amount you have is what 16, 32, and 64 GB means when you buy your iPad model.

1GB is 1000MB, btw. Roughly, anyway. It would be more accurate to say 1GB is equal to 1024MB, but sales people have been playing so fast and loose with this that only us old computer geeks remember that memory is properly measured in binary, or at least octal or hexadecimal.

Just to throw in a few more terms to keep the issue confused. :)

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ditto, can someone explain it in simple english like what is the difference between the two and how does it affect the ipad?

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Well, I don't really know everything a reset does, but it probably clears out all kinds of things that get temporarily cached in RAM, and probably several files that may be cached in the flash memory as well. So it's kind of hard to predict what it will or won't fix. That's why we tend to recommend it so often for weird problems.

RAM is volatile memory that the computer uses to actually do things. Volatile means that when power goes, so does anything stored in RAM. It's faster than the flash memory, and a lot faster than the hard drives that computers use in lieu of flash.

RAM is usually a lot smaller than the long term storage of Flash memory. On computers it runs anywhere from 1 - 4 GB, or more for the seriously professional machines. Your iPad 1 has 256 MB. The iPad 2 has 512 MB.

Flash is the long term storage. I does nothing but hold information. In order to do anything with that information it must first be transferred to RAM. It's pretty much the same thing as hard drive space on a computer, only faster, and more expensive. The amount you have is what 16, 32, and 64 GB means when you buy your iPad model.

1GB is 1000MB, btw. Roughly, anyway. It would be more accurate to say 1GB is equal to 1024MB, but sales people have been playing so fast and loose with this that only us old computer geeks remember that memory is properly measured in binary, or at least octal or hexadecimal.

Just to throw in a few more terms to keep the issue confused. :)

gee thanks TwerpPoet, I did a European computer driving licence course with my school and learnt all that then but you do start to forget after a while if you don't use the terminology all the time, probably why the sales people have done so as well.

Thank you ever so much, it's the little things that bug you so much isn't it? Until we meet again au revoir. And no, I don't speak it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Ditto, can someone explain it in simple english like what is the difference between the two and how does it affect the ipad?

RAM effects how much the iPad can do at once, and how fast. The iPad 2 has twice as much as the iPad 1.

It's like having a big sorting table, or a small one. The iPad can only manipulate so much information at time, and a lot of that has to do with how big a table it can lay it all out on, so that it can be seen and moved around.

Flash is simply how much information the iPad can store.

This is like how many filing cabinets you have. It's there, but you have to dig it out and lay it on the table before you can do anything with it.

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

RAM effects how much the iPad can do at once, and how fast. The iPad 2 has twice as much as the iPad 1.

It's like having a big sorting table, or a small one. The iPad can only manipulate so much information at time, and a lot of that has to do with how big a table it can lay it all out on, so that it can be seen and moved around.

Flash is simply how much information the iPad can store.

This is like how many filing cabinets you have. It's there, but you have to dig it out and lay it on the table before you can do anything with it.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the explanation. Honestly I still dont get it!It's jargon! lol I guess I need some crash course in computer. oh well,never mind. Computer is not my line ;)

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This just makes me want the iPad 2 now! I have a cunning plan (blackadder anyone?). I'm going to wait until the iPad 3 comes out and get iPad 2 cheap, just like my iPad 1. Yeah, lousy I can't get iPad 3 but dont know what furor over that one will be after this years iPad 2 fiasco?

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am gathering all your words of wisdom in my notes app TwerpPoet, I have to say you are my top dog for info in there!

Anymore info you can shed light on would be great! A PDF or book? I know how much you like books, like me!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well there are other things that affect the speed too, like how fast the guy (CPU) can shuffle the papers around. Of course that's faster in the iPad 2, also, and it's got two CPU guys stuffed inside. :D

And sometimes it makes no difference. If you've only got a few pieces of paper, two people can't shuffle them much faster than one.

Most reactions

Latest posts