What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes music crashes

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't find out why when I go into iTunes music top 100 songs it crashes when I reach 80 songs and then crashes. I've done a hard and soft reboot but I don't want to restore either. Can anyone tell me what else could be going wrong, I haven't had this occur before but unfortunately I don't know which update has affected it. If this is easy to correct, my apologies in advance. Thank you to anyone who has advice from Somerset UK

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find out why when I go into iTunes music top 100 songs it crashes when I reach 80 songs and then crashes. I've done a hard and soft reboot but I don't want to restore either. Can anyone tell me what else could be going wrong, I haven't had this occur before but unfortunately I don't know which update has affected it. If this is easy to correct, my apologies in advance. Thank you to anyone who has advice from Somerset UK

I've just tried this myself and I can't reproduce the effect. You've tried all the obvious solutions - i.e. hard and soft reboots - so I suggest we wait for more intelligent people than me to arrive on the scene with suggestions.

I love Somerset - lived there for many years when I was a boy....

Tim
now in Scotland

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid every time I went to Scotland, it rained but I know it is sunny sometimes because it looks beautiful. I've only been as far as Loch Lomond. (is that how you spell it). I'm South African by birth but my parents come from UK. I've lived here most of my life though. Yes, Somerset is beautiful, and with Spring flowers all around, it's my favourite time of year. My biggest problem nowadays is remembering to put down my iPad and go outside to enjoy it. How many hours do spend on it because you seem to be on here a lot.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is sunny today here!!!! But it usually is rain, wind, snow, sleet, damp, mist, grey, overcast and generally miserable. But I say, you don't come to Scotland to get a sun tan. Aberdeen has a beautiful beach but it so cold...but, many years ago, there was a freak summer when it was warm and there were people swimming in the sea and girls in bikinis. It was so unusual that it made the headlines in the local paper.

I hope you get an answer to your question.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid my south African side would freeze to death if I lived up there. I do like sun, not suntan because that is boring. I like forests, mountains and lakes. I have to go to the seaside for my teenagers but my husband and I just like to walk along the shore and watch the birds(feathered variety). The sound of the ocean is addictive. Thank you for your response.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update on this. When I went into iTunes music top 100, it is now showing 50 only. I wonder if this changed last night because I could go up to 80 songs yesterday but today only 50! iTunes must have had problems with 100.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try this - you are accessing the iTunes UK store (I only ask this because you said you were originally from South Africa and I wondered if you had a South African iTunes account)

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it's on iTunes uk

I don't understand it - I can - admittedly slowly - by continuously pressing the 'More' button - get down to over 100 without any trouble at all. Do you have an iPad1, like I do, or an iPad2 - and what version of iOS do you have (you can see I'm clutching at straws now... :(

Tim

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think i'm going mad because i've just tried again and reached 70 in the top singles/album charts and then the "more" button disappears and you are left with music videos. I've got ipad1 and the new 4.3.1 update. I definitely reached 50 yesterday because I remember thinking "well, that certainly sorts out the crashing". I don't know Tim, I think we might have to give this one up as simply weird. We don't seem to have anyone else having this problem so maybe it's just mine. I've had no problems with this iPad before and I know it always went to 100 before, so who knows but thanks for your input until the next problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think i'm going mad because i've just tried again and reached 70 in the top singles/album charts and then the "more" button disappears and you are left with music videos. I've got ipad1 and the new 4.3.1 update. I definitely reached 50 yesterday because I remember thinking "well, that certainly sorts out the crashing". I don't know Tim, I think we might have to give this one up as simply weird. We don't seem to have anyone else having this problem so maybe it's just mine. I've had no problems with this iPad before and I know it always went to 100 before, so who knows but thanks for your input until the next problem.

Maybe it's a lateral thinking problem - sometimes, when a problem is perplexing, I simply walk away from it and then - at some random time in the future, I get that Eureka moment and I think "How could I have been so stupid - the answer is *so* obvious", but if I sit and stare at the problem, inspiration never comes!!

Let us know if the problem 'develops' either one way or the other. The perplexing problems are always the most interesting.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wasn't goint to but in, since it's sounded like a UK store problem, but I got curiouls and played around a bit anyway.

First, in case we are not looking at the same thing, I was looking at the Music page, Top Charts, and hitting the More button at the bottom of the Top Songs/ Top Albums lists.

The first time I did this I got to 90 songs before the More button disappeard. Before I tried it again I cleared all the apps out of the Multitask bar, to be sure I had maximum RAM. Having doen this I got all through all 100 songs before the More button went on missing.

My tentative conclusion is that you can only display so much before you run out of RAM. It seems unlikely that the iTunes page uses up all the iPad's RAM, but it is possible that if you start iTunes with other apps in RAM, it may not grab as much for it's own use as it could.

The fact that Tim and I with our iPad 2's, and double the RAM, got further than you every time lends credence to that.

My suggestion is that you do like I did and free up the maximum RAM to see if you can get to 100, or at least back to the 70 you had before.

Please let us know. If it does not work I'll have to start working on another theory.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I wasn't goint to but in, since it's sounded like a UK store problem, but I got curiouls and played around a bit anyway.

First, in case we are not looking at the same thing, I was looking at the Music page, Top Charts, and hitting the More button at the bottom of the Top Songs/ Top Albums lists.

The first time I did this I got to 90 songs before the More button disappeard. Before I tried it again I cleared all the apps out of the Multitask bar, to be sure I had maximum RAM. Having doen this I got all through all 100 songs before the More button went on missing.

My tentative conclusion is that you can only display so much before you run out of RAM. It seems unlikely that the iTunes page uses up all the iPad's RAM, but it is possible that if you start iTunes with other apps in RAM, it may not grab as much for it's own use as it could.

The fact that Tim and I with our iPad 2's, and double the RAM, got further than you every time lends credence to that.

My suggestion is that you do like I did and free up the maximum RAM to see if you can get to 100, or at least back to the 70 you had before.

Please let us know. If it does not work I'll have to start working on another theory.

Wow! TwerpPoet, I'd given up on this, ages ago. I will indeed try that but I'm sure Tim has an iPad 1 though! Tim???

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow! TwerpPoet, I'd given up on this, ages ago. I will indeed try that but I'm sure Tim has an iPad 1 though! Tim???

You are probably right about that. I went back over the conversation, but can't find anything that should have caused me to think Tim had an iPad 2. But even an iPad 1 should have plenty of RAM to display all 100 of the list, at least if nothing else is running.

Then again, I only ran a couple tests. It could all be coincidence.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I got rid of all open apps and I only got to 50 songs. Here's the screen shot!

Attachments

• image-495213885.png
    image-495213885.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 183

Most reactions