What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Match Thread

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello -

I bought iTunes Match for 24.99. I ran the update for version 5.0.1 on my iPad. I turned iTunes Match on on my iPad under Settings - Music. Now, how do I listen? I don't even have an iPod app anymore for music??

Thanks
Have you turned iTunes Match on in iTunes on your computer? Open iTunes, click on "Store" in the top toolbar, click on "Turn on iTunes Match".

More here about how to set up iTunes Match:

iTunes Store: How to subscribe to iTunes Match

iTunes: How to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match

iTunes Store: Troubleshooting iTunes Match

iTunes Match: Understanding the iCloud Status icons

As twerppoet mentioned the iPod App was replaced with the Music App in iOS 5.

Hope that helps!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Forgot about that end of it. Obviously it won't work until it's scanned your library and matched or uploaded the music.

Thanks Rich.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

Euphorbioid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noobie intro and iTunes match question

Hi all,
I'm a 59 yo kid who lives in Philly. I have had a Mac pro for 4 years, an iPhone for 3 years and an iPod forever. I want to use the iPad predominately as an e reader and music source, at least at first.

I have nearly 60,000 songs in my iTunes library. iTunes match won't work for me. In the future will I be able to
select which 25,000 songs I can upload? If I am unable to use iTunes match a big chunk of my rationale for an iPad goes out the window. Then I may save myself several hundred dollars and get a kindle.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a 59 yo kid who lives in Philly. I have had a Mac pro for 4 years, an iPhone for 3 years and an iPod forever. I want to use the iPad predominately as an e reader and music source, at least at first.

I have nearly 60,000 songs in my iTunes library. iTunes match won't work for me. In the future will I be able to
select which 25,000 songs I can upload? If I am unable to use iTunes match a big chunk of my rationale for an iPad goes out the window. Then I may save myself several hundred dollars and get a kindle.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Welcome to the forum! With respect to your question, as you've found the iTunes Match service is limited to an iTunes library of 25,000 songs or less - that have NOT been purchased through iTunes. iTunes purchases are not included in that total. No one knows if Apple will change the limit of personal songs or add the ability to toggle which songs you want to match, only time will tell. My guess is that for for the $2/mo. iTunes Match fee neither of those will be an option, but you never know.

Folks with large libraries have found a workaround by splitting up their large iTunes libraries into two or more and then associating just the one library with < 25,001 songs to iTunes Match. Personally I've never found the need to have my entire iTunes library available on my iPad or iPhone, but I guess I can see where someone might. So if that's the case and you have to have all 60,000 songs available on an iPad, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, at least for now.

Having said that keep in mind that you don't have to use iTunes Match to have a great deal of music on an iPad. On it's own a 64GB iPad can carry between 7,000 and 15,000 songs depending of course on the song's bit rate. I've created a "hybrid" iTunes Match on my iPad and iPhone by syncing Smart Playlists that include all of the music I want permanently and having access to the rest of my iTunes library - which is under 25,000 songs - via iTunes Match. It works quite well for me, but again, if your have to have everything available, it may not for you.

Hope that helps and in the meantime there are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I moved your post to the iTunes Match area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

gan8950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matched songs not showing up on my iPad

I have some songs that show up as "matched" in the iCloud Status column that do not show up on my iPad. Most of the matched songs are available on the iPad, but not all. Any suggestions as to why this is, and how to fix it?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some songs that show up as "matched" in the iCloud Status column that do not show up on my iPad. Most of the matched songs are available on the iPad, but not all. Any suggestions as to why this is, and how to fix it?
iTunes Match was a struggle to get right on my iPad and my iPhone as well. I found that if I turned iTunes Match off and on a few times on my computer as well as my iPad and updated it a few times on my computer (iTunes > Store > Update iTunes Match) things finally smoothed out.

Have a look here as well...

There's a thread with my and other's experiences with iTunes Match here...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/53636-itunes-match-launched.html

Hope that helps!

gan8950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Album artwork on iPad

Why is it that some of the album artwork that is in my iTunes library does not show up on my iPad as a part of iMatch? Is there a way to get all the artwork on my iPad?

iPaddydaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having same problem. I cannot get any of my artwork to show in uploaded songs. I can see it in iTunes. Not on iPad or iPhone.

Teepea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Itunes match

Just buy it and omg I'm sooooo confused it took all my music off my iPod and I don't know what to do now can someone help explain it to me please!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just buy it and omg I'm sooooo confused it took all my music off my iPod and I don't know what to do now can someone help explain it to me please!
My experience with setting up iTunes Match was a little rocky, but eventually it worked. I set it up the first day it was available and there were glitches but most of that is probably attributable to Apple's servers being severely overloaded. It should go much smoother for you.

Here's our iTunes Match thread:

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...assistance/53636-itunes-match-launched-3.html

More here about how to set up iTunes Match:

Apple - iTunes - Explore the new iTunes.

iTunes Store: How to subscribe to iTunes Match

iTunes: How to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match

iTunes Match: Understanding the iCloud Status icons

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

iPaddydaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can't be the only two people having problems with artwork? This is a major issue. I dont want Imatch if I can't get the artwork.

iPaddydaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts