What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Match Thread

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to just sync part of my music demo my MacBook pro to my iPad . I want tp be selective about it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
Are you talking about iTunes Match sync or something else? This thread is about iTunes Match. I think we'll need some more details either way. TIA!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re-ripping Music

This time yesterday I was pretty much cussing out iTunes Match because of the issues I was having with getting it to stop hanging, cooperate and work. Today's another story since it's working pretty much seamlessly...like all Apple products should. I'm guessing the load on Apple's servers has subsided a bit and iTunes Match is running a little more like it should, and will going forward.

So I decided to experiment a bit with some of my music files. Early on...years ago. I ripped a lot of my CD's using iTune's default setting which back then was 128kbps AAC. This meant more compression and lower audio quality than the original CD certainly and less than I could have used...but it worked and I was happy. Now all iTunes music that's "matched" to your iTunes library will download to any of your iTunes Matched enabled devices at 256kbps...less compression, improved audio quality. That includes the music that you've already uploaded...and which still resides on your computer at 128kbps.

Time to "upgrade" some of my iTunes library! I found an old Eagles album which I had ripped at 128kbps. In the music list view I highlighted all of the songs on the album, control-clicked (right clicked) and clicked on "Delete". The following confirmation appeared:

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 6.51.52 PM.png

I clicked on "Delete Songs"...but I did NOT check the "Also delete these songs from iCloud" box. Then this message appeared:

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 6.52.17 PM.png

I clicked on "Keep Files". Immediately the bit rate column changed from 128kbps to 256kbps and the little iCloud download icon showed up:

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 6.52.29 PM.png

I subsequently clicked on each iCloud download icon and tah-dah...I now have a perfect copy of the same music at the higher 256kbps bit rate without having to re-rip my CD! It's by no means CD quality, but it's certainly an improvement.

The downloads started immediately and were quite fast.

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 6.52.53 PM.png

So today I'm a little happier with iTunes Match and tomorrow I'm sure I'll be more of a fan. :)

NOTE: Updating/re-downloading songs originally ripped at 128kbps at 256kpbs will require approximately twice the storage space so be sure you have enough hard drive space prior if you think that will be an issue.

Last edited:

rspokane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question I have alot of music which is showing up as an error, well over 300 songs. If you go over the 5gb of songs they have to upload because they could not find it in there library, could that cause the error, but it is still trying to back up the rest. What do you suggest. In addition I am a windows 7 operating system. I noticed on my devices that under the music settings it has the iTunes match yes or no. When I went to click on yes, it said it would replace my library with iCloud, what does that mean. I certainly cannot afford all of my music on any of my devices, I had pick alot of what I want. I was hoping that this matching program would help me take off the music I only listed too rarely, and just download when I wanted to heat it. But I went into the iTunes store on my device and only the music I purchased on itunes shgows up not any of the items it did upload OK. I am stuck, and I do not want to say yes until I know what to do with the errors, and can you delete specifically itmes you do not want to upload? I have an audio of the whole bible and it is 12 gb, that I really do not need uploaded as it did not match that, which I uploaded via CD. Any help on how to proceed I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rob

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*shrugs* I don't want to detract/distract from the topic Rich, you've seen my posts ala th music app on that thread.;)

as far as the topic, itunes match... *shrugs*. this may or not be a great new 'thing' but, the fact that as a PC user who does not have win 7 or vista, it has dawned on me that the window for ANY cloud use vis a vis my Ipad, has closed. And I guess it kinda of mu pisses me off.

gjhsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Are you talking about iTunes Match sync or something else? This thread is about iTunes Match. I think we'll need some more details either way. TIA!

Thanks I figured it out...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question I have alot of music which is showing up as an error, well over 300 songs. If you go over the 5gb of songs they have to upload because they could not find it in there library, could that cause the error, but it is still trying to back up the rest. What do you suggest. In addition I am a windows 7 operating system. I noticed on my devices that under the music settings it has the iTunes match yes or no. When I went to click on yes, it said it would replace my library with iCloud, what does that mean. I certainly cannot afford all of my music on any of my devices, I had pick alot of what I want. I was hoping that this matching program would help me take off the music I only listed too rarely, and just download when I wanted to heat it. But I went into the iTunes store on my device and only the music I purchased on itunes shgows up not any of the items it did upload OK. I am stuck, and I do not want to say yes until I know what to do with the errors, and can you delete specifically itmes you do not want to upload? I have an audio of the whole bible and it is 12 gb, that I really do not need uploaded as it did not match that, which I uploaded via CD. Any help on how to proceed I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rob
Did you get this resolved?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Limited Storage Space Solution

I've found that I really like iTunes Match when it comes to my 11" Macbook Air. It has a 128GB SSD. Since the iTunes library on my iMac is about half that, keeping it on my MBA would be prohibitive while keeping all of the other data and applications. With iTunes Match I can still pick any music I like from my library and play it anytime, anywhere (providing I have a Wi-Fi connection). Nice. :thumbs:

rspokane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I am totally lost. I tried turning the iTunes match so I could sync with my home computer, but all the music now is 256, and it ran out of memory, and if I try to close iTunes it disconnects all my devices, and I cannot find my music on iColud even the the imatch was completed. I followed your suggestions and downloaded all the matched music back down from the cloud to my computer and deleted my 126kb songs, and that may be a poor decision as it doubled my memory use, and now my devices won't sync as it runs out of memory, and I am so lost what to do. Just cause you upload to the cloud your playlist do not, and I setup my playlist more by Group, so I do not know how tosetup my devices to work. If I put them on iTunes match in the music settings, under more on the app I have shared and if I click on iPad it is missing much, if I click on my itunes library it is all there, but then if I log iTunes off, it disconnects and I have no music.

What can I do to get this to work and find my icloud music?

Thanks so much for your help,

Rob

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I am totally lost. I tried turning the iTunes match so I could sync with my home computer, but all the music now is 256, and it ran out of memory, and if I try to close iTunes it disconnects all my devices, and I cannot find my music on iColud even the the imatch was completed. I followed your suggestions and downloaded all the matched music back down from the cloud to my computer and deleted my 126kb songs, and that may be a poor decision as it doubled my memory use, and now my devices won't sync as it runs out of memory, and I am so lost what to do. Just cause you upload to the cloud your playlist do not, and I setup my playlist more by Group, so I do not know how tosetup my devices to work. If I put them on iTunes match in the music settings, under more on the app I have shared and if I click on iPad it is missing much, if I click on my itunes library it is all there, but then if I log iTunes off, it disconnects and I have no music.

What can I do to get this to work and find my icloud music?

Thanks so much for your help,

Rob
I've read your post a couple of times and I'm a little confused. iTunes Match doesn't add (or subtract) any storage space in your original iTunes library. If you're saying that you deleted all of your songs which were originally ripped at 128kbps and re-downloaded them from Apple's servers at 256kbps, then yes, that would effectively double the storage space required. (I added a note to my original post about it.)

All of my Playlists and Smart Playlists were added to my iPad (as well as my Macbook Air) when I turned on iTunes Match. Not sure why yours wouldn't be.

Bottom line it sounds like you've run out of space on your computer because you "upgraded" all of your music. If iTunes can't sync all of the music, iTunes Match can't either. I guess my only advice would be to free up some space on your computer. If you have some files that can be moved to an external hard drive, that's usually the easiest and least expensive way of adding storage capacity. Otherwise a larger internal hard drive might be worth looking into.

Hope that helps and if I've gotten something wrong, don't hesitate to put me straight!

yournotpeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Subscribed to iTunes Match - How Do I listen on iPad?

Hello -

I bought iTunes Match for 24.99. I ran the update for version 5.0.1 on my iPad. I turned iTunes Match on on my iPad under Settings - Music. Now, how do I listen? I don't even have an iPod app anymore for music??

Thanks

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to ask this in the iTunes match thread. You will get answers there. Search is your friend!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, while inadvertently doubling the size of your library might make you run out of space on your device, the REAL problem is that iCloud requires you to use space on your device at all. If it were a streaming service (which might justify paying for it) then you could have as much music as you want.
Yes I keep beating the streaming drum.
Google Music just came out of beta, and charges $0 for up to 20,000 songs. And streams to your device. And automatically uploads new music when you add it to iTunes. And lets you download for offline (getting on an airplane?). And there is a iOS app that works with it (GoMusic, $.99). And, and, and, and...

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, while inadvertently doubling the size of your library might make you run out of space on your device, the REAL problem is that iCloud requires you to use space on your device at all. If it were a streaming service (which might justify paying for it) then you could have as much music as you want.
Yes I keep beating the streaming drum.
Google Music just came out of beta, and charges $0 for up to 20,000 songs. And streams to your device. And automatically uploads new music when you add it to iTunes. And lets you download for offline (getting on an airplane?). And there is a iOS app that works with it (GoMusic, $.99). And, and, and, and...
Actually the space used to cache songs streamed from iCloud/iTunes Match is temporary and will never get in the way of actual data that needs to be stored.

It's really the best of both worlds. The music from iCloud streams instantly and a temporary copy is saved to your iDevice so you can play it again (without having to be connected via Wi-Fi or 3G) anytime. Eventually older and less played music is automatically deleted to accommodate new songs and/or other data. You always have the option of deleting any songs or entire albums as well.

So you can indeed have as much music as you want. Well, up to 25,000 songs in any case. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts