What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes, how do I do a manual check for update

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

How do I make a manual check to see if there is an update waiting to be installed.

I have read that I have to load the iTunes page (from the app) which I have done.
I am advised that I should then click the Help button and select Check for updates.

Great, but when is the help button?

I cannot find it anywhere in my open iTunes panel/window.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need to go to iTunes. Just check straight off your iPad by going into Settings and hit the "Update" button. That will tell you whether an update is available for you or whether your operating system is up to date.
If you need to you can update OTA (over the air) or connect your iPad to your computer which needs to have the latest version of iTunes on it. Then update that way via iTunes, but it would be prudent to back up your iPad first (you'll also see that option in iTunes up top). During any update don't remove the USB cable.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't need to go to iTunes. Just check straight off your iPad by going into Settings and hit the "Update" button. That will tell you whether an update is available for you or whether your operating system is up to date.
If you need to you can update OTA (over the air) or connect your iPad to your computer which needs to have the latest version of iTunes on it. Then update that way via iTunes, but it would be prudent to back up your iPad first (you'll also see that option in iTunes up top). During any update don't remove the USB cable.
Regards, Andrew

Hi there.
I am sorry but I did not explain my self. What I really need is, how can I check to see what version of iTunes I have at the moment loaded onto my PC and how can I then update iTunes if need be.

Regards

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I am sorry but I did not explain my self. What I really need is, how can I check to see what version of iTunes I have at the moment loaded onto my PC and how can I then update iTunes if need be.

Regards
Gosh, to be honest I don't use my desktop computer (now with Win10) that much these days as I'm finding my iPad Air2 meets most of my on-line needs. I know that whenever I go to iTunes on the PC after some time, I've received a message that a further iTunes download is available and I download as a matter of course.
Go into iTunes on your computer and right click on that. You should be able to establish the version or whether an update to it is available that way. Let's know how you get on. I may be running out of puff on this but there are some pretty (some are:)) cluey people here who are bound to have answers for you.
Andrew

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Nope, I have looked everywhere on every panel that I found to open within iTunes. Nowhere did I find anything as to where I might find the version of iTunes that I am currently running let alone to check for updates. I read somewhere recently on this subject and it advised that I should click on "Help" and then click "Check for updates" whilst in the iTune site.

Well he is a better man than I am Gungedin! I can't even find the said Help button within the site. :(

Regards

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the last version of (PC) iTunes I've seen, after you open iTunes but not going to the "store", their should be "file" "edit" "help" etc on the top left of the screen. You would click on help, on the bottom I believe you can select "check for update" or "about" I think to get your version.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thing, different iTunes versions can have different layouts so what you see and what I see may be different.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi.

Again nope.

If you are referring to File, Edit,History,Bookmark Tools and Help items located in the top left corner, these are not part of the iTunes display. These item belongs to the browser you are using, ie.Internet Explorer or Firefox, "Menu Bar". If I click the Help tag of this Menu bar, what I get relates only to the browser that I am using at the time.

When iTunes is loaded, there are no such tags or headings as described above.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the iTunes Menu (just left of the File menu) choose About iTunes. The current version is at the beginning of the credits; which may take a few seconds to scroll into view.

You can check this against Apple's iTunes download page to see if you have the current version.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To complement tp's excellent advice above I trotted over to my PC which, like yours, is also running on Win10 and took some shots of the PC screens:
Pic1 shows a partial list of the Windows apps that are available for download onto my PC. (Tap the Windows Start button at bottom left hand corner and choose the Apps option)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679379.211980.jpg

Pic2 shows my PCs wallpaper with the iTunes app sitting thereon which I had downloaded in the past and periodically updated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679491.170788.jpg

Pic3 shows the screen that comes up when I tap that Windows iTunes icon. As a number of members have helpfully suggested above, tap the "Help" button up top.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679761.805323.jpg

Pic4 When you tap on the Help button you get the following drop-down box, so tap on "Check for Updates"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443680323.921503.jpg

The last pic then shows that, on my PC, I have the current version of the Windows iTunes app.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443679975.359460.jpg

Hope that may assist:)
Andrew

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I do not know where you got your iTunes from, or maybe more to the point where did I get my iTunes from because they are not the same.

Reading through your excellent tutorial and pictures I can safely say that I do not have the desired menu bar with the said functions ANYWHERE on my iTunes panel !!!!!

It is simply missing. I have tried clicking on anything and everything just in case it was hidden, but no joy at all.

I am stumped as to what to do now.

Regards

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the iTunes Menu (just left of the File menu) choose About iTunes. The current version is at the beginning of the credits; which may take a few seconds to scroll into view.

You can check this against Apple's iTunes download page to see if you have the current version.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

Hi there again .

If you care to click your link that is just above this entry, for the iTunes- download, you will see some picture grabs of the iTune panels. They are exactly like mine, the 6 or so entry items, File,Help etc that you and other forumites suggest, you will see that the picture grabs reveal that these panels also have File, Help etc missing, just like mine.

I managed to find out what version of iTunes I have by going to the Program and Features (add/remove) window from Control Panel and there listed was the installed iTunes showing Version 12.3.0.44, the latest one.

But if I had a choice, I would still like to have the missing items.

Regards

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As indicated in my last post, did you download your iTunes app onto your Windows10 machine from the WINDOWS App store? It's a WINDOWS app which is simply downloaded onto your WIN10 PC. If you did that I must say I'm stumped as to why you are not seeing the tabs I photographed off my PC.
Andrew

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe the menu bar may be hidden in iTunes (by default?). Not having a Windows machine I cannot suggest the method for unhiding them, but it may be just a matter of hovering over the area or clicking a certain icon to reveal the menu.

Most reactions

Latest posts