What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes And Windows 7 Fragmentation

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? I run a powerful Pc, Win 7 (32 bit not by choice) And itunes causes massive fragmenttion every time it syns with my Ipad. This causes slow downs and drives me nut's in other work.

The PC is one I built myself. 64GB ram, Quad core BB AMD CPU 2x dual GPU grapihcs cards. And 4 TB of installed HDD space, and a SATA caddy I use to hotswap drives with archived data on them.

I also have a powerful laptop, but with Windows 7 64 bit installed. It's had itines on it, but my main library is on the 32 beast.

Seeing as I'm stuck with Windows ( it's the music business...they love Bill Gates) I'm thinking about a mac mini for my Ipad, phone etc.

It's got to the point where I have to defrag. the thing every day. Ideas?:)

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not much point in 64GB of RAM with 32 bit Windows, but I digress.

With that much potential power, you could consider virtualization for your 32-bit needs, and 64-bit for the host OS. Don't know if what you need to run 32-bit can live in a VM or not.

I assume the fragmentation is on the partition that has all the iTunes library? I will look at my iTunes htpc when I get home, a modest Win7 32-bit dual core and see what it has - I've never defragged it.

Dushtin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
win32 is only capable of utilizing 2gb of ram. Why would anyone ever even need 64gb's? Are you running 100 copies of photoshop at the same time? :D

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dushtin said:
win32 is only capable of utilizing 2gb of ram. Why would anyone ever even need 64gb's? Are you running 100 copies of photoshop at the same time? :D

Kind of :) video and music rendering software needs the grunt. You can utilise the ram in Win7 with a few tweaks, but since all my stuff is real time, it's required.... Sadly :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
Has anyone else noticed this? I run a powerful Pc, Win 7 (32 bit not by choice) And itunes causes massive fragmenttion every time it syns with my Ipad. This causes slow downs and drives me nut's in other work.

The PC is one I built myself. 64GB ram, Quad core BB AMD CPU 2x dual GPU grapihcs cards. And 4 TB of installed HDD space, and a SATA caddy I use to hotswap drives with archived data on them.

I also have a powerful laptop, but with Windows 7 64 bit installed. It's had itines on it, but my main library is on the 32 beast.

Seeing as I'm stuck with Windows ( it's the music business...they love Bill Gates) I'm thinking about a mac mini for my Ipad, phone etc.

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out. Recently, I experienced a dramatic slowdown on one of my machines... rather suddenly. Cleaning up things and defragging brought everything back to speed but I didn't think of associating the problem with iTunes.

Last edited:

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually it is closer to nearly 3-1/2GB, depending on the system particulars, but that didn't keep me from putting 4GB in the 32bit machine I have. That is "available to the OS". Sure the rest is wasted, but 3.5GB runs alot better than 2GB.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Defrag is automatic on my Vista machine

Has anyone else noticed this? I run a powerful Pc, Win 7 (32 bit not by choice) And itunes causes massive fragmenttion every time it syns with my Ipad. This causes slow downs and drives me nut's in other work. It's got to the point where I have to defrag. the thing every day. Ideas?:)

I have my Vista PC set to regularly and automatically defrag once per week without my participation at all. I don't think I have overtly forced a defrag in several years now and don't even think about it. Is that not a feature in Windows 7?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

LOL. You are running 64 GB of ram on a 32 bit system? So literally wasting 60gb of ram?

Last edited:
OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not Really

LOL. You are running 64 GB of ram on a 32 bit system? So literally wasting 60gb of ram?

The software I use WILL and does use the extra RAM. My original intention was to go 64bit on this machine too.... I have the DVD's for both versions.

Problem came when a certain well known music software publisher wanted to exract £3500 from me to upgrade my existing music packages.

Since that;s well OTT, and since I have to have Windows because most of my client base do, I'm stuck with it for now.

If I had a choice? I'd ditch Windows in a heartbeat :)

Most reactions

Latest posts