What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes all mixed up

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After doing the update my iTunes popped up the message " this iPad is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPad and sync this iTunes library." The weird thing is that there are 30 songs in the library that aren't mine. Mine were all lost. I used a different computer to sync my pad the first time and now the motherboard gave out so I have a new computer that I loaded another iTunes. It has same login etc as my first one. Any suggestions as to how I should answer the ? I can't seem to find the right place to pose this question to. No email address or phone #to call.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The unimportant stuff first. When you first installed iTunes it probably asked you if you wanted to import music already on the computer. If you said yes it searched your hard drive and imported what it found. Most Windows computers come with some sample music. That's probably where your 30 songs came from.

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimizes photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

OP
L

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The info given does not really apply to my situation. I want to transfer the music on my iPod shuffle which were not purchased through iTunes to my iPad because they were on it before I did the update. I have read many complaints about apps being lost and all my music was lost. When I plug my iPod shuffle into my computer, I can see all of the songs in there when I click on the contents tab. But when trying to sync I get the message that they are already synced to another iTunes. As I said in previous post, I do not have access to the original itunes which synced my music to my iPad. It was on a computer that is no longer in working order and has been disposed of. I am getting the feeling that there is no way to get that music off the iPod into iTunes. It won't accept it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried the Transfer Purchases method? After canceling the unwanted sync, right click on your iPod under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. You won't lose the content as long as you don't do a sync. Give it a try.

If it does not work (and I won't guarantee it with non-iTunes content), the google "Transfer music from iPod to iTunes" (no quotes). You'll find several programs that will do this. I have no direct experience with any of them, so do your research carefully.

I believe Peled recommended a program several months ago. You might be able to find his post by using the advanced search features on this forum.

Most reactions