What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes 10.5 downloading now

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Before I go through the hassle of uninstalling my virus protection to try and get 10.5 I want to get Apple support on the phone. Which number is everyone using and do they charge you?

I have McAfee AV, did not switch it off.

the upgrade to iTunes 10.5 worked took about an hour all done.

. iPad2 32gb took 2 tries for ios5, and 8 tries for ip4 (8th attempt currently 4 1/4 hours and counting).

IMHO AV is not the problem just server overloads, so be patient :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I go through the hassle of uninstalling my virus protection to try and get 10.5 I want to get Apple support on the phone. Which number is everyone using and do they charge you?
No need to uninstall your virus program...just turn it off for the upgrade if needed.

As ipadbraincell mentions, odds are it's a server issue and not a problem on your end. Give it some time and try again later...tomorrow or whatever.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
No need to uninstall your virus program...just turn it off for the upgrade if needed.

As ipadbraincell mentions, odds are it's a server issue and not a problem on your end. Give it some time and try again later...tomorrow or whatever.

Thanks Rich and all. I ended up trying it in IE instead of Chrome 'cause it just let me click on the bar to authorize the website. That did the trick. Now I'll wait and see if some of the bugs get worked out before trying to put iOs5 on our iPads.

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rich for the pointer to downloading iTunes separately. All downloaded and installed. Now for a deep breath and install iOS5.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still no joy here! I copied iTunes media file to external hard drive and then proceeded to uninstall iTunes going by the list shown on the apple page of uninstall directions. Did each piece in the order shown. Then accidentally downloaded iTunes before restarting computer. When I realized error I deleted install, checked in downloads and deleted two additional iTunes folders that were there, restarted, ran ccleaner, and restarted again. Downloaded iTunes again and tried to install. It failed, got this message: "This application has failed to start because CoreFoundation.dll ws not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.". ???

Tried to reinstall and failed again...... Is vista this sc@***d up?? Or is it just me?? Error message now says: "Service Apple Mobile Device failed to start. verify you have sufficient privileges to stem services." my choices were abort/retry/ignore. I hit retry...failed...so hit ignore.... Then got: "the installer was interrupted before the requested operations for iTunes could be completed. Your system has not been modified. To complete these operations at a later time please run the installer again."

I am running the installer again right now, but honestly don't have much hope..... Yesterday I poked my iPad up to my new MacBook pro. It did some sort of short sync and now all my apps and looks like all my iBooks show in that iTunes. It is 10.5 the Mac updated just fine to the new iTunes. No tv shows and not all the music though. I only had a little of the music and none of the tv on the iPad. If the update on the pc (vista) fails again, can I put the external backup of iTunes onto the Mac and would that put everything there so I can update to os5 there???

I am about in tears over this, can anyone help me, please??

Oh, just thought to mention, the exhd is a seagate goflex which is supposed to be compatible with both pc & Mac. It has never been plugged into my Mac.

Sent from my 16GB wifi iPad using iPF

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Arrrrggggghhhhh! Reinstall got error 0x80070002!! I clicked OK and install said it was rolling back. I was googling the error # and starting to follow help & support directions to fix that when a box popped up saying iTunes was installed! Yay!? When I clicked finish I get message "Apple Application Support was not found. AAS is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install again.".

Did that and had same result......where do I find AAS to install? All the other components, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device, Apple Software Support installed, just not the app support. I reinstalled QuickTime too still no joy! What the heck is going on??? :(

Sent from my 16GB wifi iPad using iPF

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to download the itunes ipad software update for several DAYS now on a DSL connection to my MacBook Pro. It starts by saying it'll take about 20 hours and then fails due to a connection problem some time after that. Once it said it had downloaded almost all of it, and I think it said 2 hours left, but when i checked the next morning -- failed again. And it starts all over, when it fails. I thought it would pick up where it left off like other downloads do, but it starts all over. Right now it says it has downloaded 22 mb of 721.4 mb and has 19 hours remaining.

Is there another way? I feel like I'm acting out the definition of insanity -- doing the same thing and expecting different results. Help please all you Mac/iPad whizzes!!!!!

Thanks.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to download the itunes ipad software update for several DAYS now on a DSL connection to my MacBook Pro. It starts by saying it'll take about 20 hours and then fails due to a connection problem some time after that. Once it said it had downloaded almost all of it, and I think it said 2 hours left, but when i checked the next morning -- failed again. And it starts all over, when it fails. I thought it would pick up where it left off like other downloads do, but it starts all over. Right now it says it has downloaded 22 mb of 721.4 mb and has 19 hours remaining.

Is there another way? I feel like I'm acting out the definition of insanity -- doing the same thing and expecting different results. Help please all you Mac/iPad whizzes!!!!!

Thanks.
How very frustrating! You said you were trying to download the "iTunes iPad software". I'm assuming you mean that you're trying to upgrade your iPad to iOS 5? If so, unfortunately it sounds like your connection is terribly slow and timing out (losing the connection to the Apple servers). If that's the case the additional bad news is that not only does that file have to download to get things started, there is a backup to be done and then a restore of a number of your files...all of which entail a lot of two-way Internet communications. If your connection isn't fast enough to download the initial files, it's almost certain that the rest of the process will be problematic.

My first suggestion would be to find someplace or someone with a faster broadband connection. I suspect that would take care of it. Otherwise there is a way to manually update, but it still requires downloading the files so we're back to square one. Do you know anyone with a better broadband connection that you can visit...buy them a few beers maybe?

It's possible something else is causing your connection problems so I'd have a look at these tips to see if any of them might help:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html#post339338

That's probably not the answer you were looking for but others may chime in with some thoughts as well.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the empathy. Seriously. That helps. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I live on an island in Washington State, and was told my DSL is the fastest available here. And there is no cable. It's fast enough to stream Netflix, so it's not like the old dial-up days (I guess those people are out of luck).

Since I posted earlier, the same update download is continuing -- so far without error. It now says 8 hours remaining. It has downloaded 300.8 of the 721.4 mb so far. But it was further along than this once before (saying it had only 2 hours left). Cross your fingers for me. Without getting on the ferry for an hour and a half, then driving to Seattle or something, I'm not going to get cable-speed Internet. Hopefully patience will outlast the process!

In the meantime, I'm having fun playing with the new iPhone 4S!

Thanks again. And thanks for warning me that this is just the beginning. But...knowing how Apple products are, I figure it's worth the wait!

Voina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it JUST quit again. It was about half done and said 7 hours remaining.

I even took a screenshot. It says: "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad... The network connection failed. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

Then on the iTunes download screen it now says: "iPad software update" and across from that where the progress bar was during the download, it says: "zero KB of 721.4 MB - stopped (err = 3256)

I will try again and leave it going all night again.

V

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it JUST quit again. It was about half done and said 7 hours remaining.

I even took a screenshot. It says: "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad... The network connection failed. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

Then on the iTunes download screen it now says: "iPad software update" and across from that where the progress bar was during the download, it says: "zero KB of 721.4 MB - stopped (err = 3256)

I will try again and leave it going all night again.

V
Ugh. If you can stream Netflix without any problems there is something desperately wrong with the Apple server connection. Can you post your upload and download connection speeds? You can find them by running a quick test at either one of these sites:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Screen Shot 2011-10-22 at 12.36.30 AM.png

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Screen Shot 2011-10-22 at 12.38.36 AM.png

Also are you on a Windows or Mac computer?

Finally, did you take a look at the troubleshooting post? Be sure all of those elements are taken care of (virus programs off, original iPad USB cable connected directly to your computer and so on).

TIA!

EDIT: I forgot to ask...is your computer connected to your network via an Ethernet cable or WiFi? If it's WiFi, that can make a huge difference depending on your home network's capabilities. Having your computer connected to your modem/router via Ethernet cable is highly recommended during these kinds of upgrades.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts