What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes 10.5 downloading now

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took mine about five minutes. I was typing a post on here this morning when it started, by the time I'd finished it was done.

I'm getting impatient now... I've been calm all day, but the closer it gets to 6pm, the more my heart is pounding! Ridiculous. I'm not even a techy gadget nerd. I just love my iPad 2! I really want my upgrade now... *runs off to stamp feet*

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone needs to keep in mind that once any file leaves any server that it's subject to the rest of the Internet's speeds/limitations right up to that little cable coming into your modem. Just because I hit the freeway at 9 a.m. doesn't mean I can get to my destination at the same time as if I had left at 2 a.m. All things are not equal.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Everyone needs to keep in mind that once any file leaves any server that it's subject to the rest of the Internet's speeds/limitations. Just because I hit the freeway at 9 a.m. doesn't mean I can get to my destination at the same time as if I had left at 2 a.m. All things are not equal.

Yep, I had a car like that once.......!

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I had this exact same problem last night with my old Dell laptop running vista! I called iTunes support (got right through, amazing customer service!) and had to UNINSTALL my virus protection (norton) that was the problem! What virus protection are you running? Just turning it off didn't work for me...I had to uninstall, run the install for iTunes 10.5 and then reinstall when it was done. If you cannot figure it out, call support and they can walk you thru it.

I dumped Norton a month ago in a futile attempt to get my pc (the one that won't update) running faster. I am now using Avast. I will try turning it off first before uninstalling. I'll let you know if that works. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like others here I am having difficulty in installing iTunes 10.5 as it keeps failing. I was hoping to follow the advice here but can't find Tools anywhere! I would like to download and install separately as I'm not happy about turning my anti-virus off while downloading. If I'm having this much trouble just updating iTunes what'll happen when I get to iOS 5?!

Anyway could somebody point me to the Tools option please?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like others here I am having difficulty in installing iTunes 10.5 as it keeps failing. I was hoping to follow the advice here but can't find Tools anywhere! I would like to download and install separately as I'm not happy about turning my anti-virus off while downloading. If I'm having this much trouble just updating iTunes what'll happen when I get to iOS 5?!

Anyway could somebody point me to the Tools option please?
iTunes 10.5 update/install package can be found here:

iTunes 10.5

You need to be aware that Apple's servers are being hit hard right now and connections can be lost or nonexistent sometimes. So it may take a few tries to get the update downloaded and installed. Or you could wait a day or so and do it then. There's nothing in these updates that will prevent your computers and devices from working as normally as they are now going forward.

iOS 5 downloaded and installed for most folks (including yours truly) without any issues.

FWIW your virus software is only necessary to prevent viruses and malware from doing any damage when you visit websites and/or download and open items that might be harmful. As long as you're not visiting sites or opening files from unknown sites you don't have anything to worry about. If you can't trust downloads from Apple you should probably pull the plug on your computer! ;)

Last edited:

Raiderspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded 10.5 on my office computer and now several apps on my iPad won't let me upgrade. Now I'm getting "this app is
Incompatible with this iPad" can anyone tell me what this is about?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded 10.5 on my office computer and now several apps on my iPad won't let me upgrade. Now I'm getting "this app is
First time I've seen this. Did you upgrade your iPad to iOS 5?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check Rich's post right above you. It sounds like Apple's servers are under heavy attack from the iArmy all trying to upgrade iTunes and iOS5 and Lion and everything all at once. I think I'll sit on the sidelines for a day or so and wait for the battle to die down.;)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check Rich's post right above you. It sounds like Apple's servers are under heavy attack from the iArmy all trying to upgrade iTunes and iOS5 and Lion and everything all at once. I think I'll sit on the sidelines for a day or so and wait for the battle to die down.;)
That was my first thought, but based on the OP's post it sounds like he successfully downloaded and installed iTunes 10.5...and now some apps on his iPad won't update. That's why I was wondering if he had updated his iPad yet.

The complaint isn't that unusual and may have nothing to do with iTunes or iOS. Some apps can cause problems when they try to update...and all it takes is one problematic app to stop the updates for all apps. Usually this can be resolved by restarting the iPad. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scotland66 said:
Normally is very user friendly. Be aware of all that is happening on the apple servers at the moment :)

+1

Also this is snog change so SV software may be triggered due ti the activity ;).

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still can't get iTunes 10.5 to download on the pc the iPad is synced to (vista).... I've tried turning off the antivirus and then uninstalling it. No luck. Did the Download only route and that failed too! I hooked it up to my new macbook pro and transferred purchases in the hope I could do the update there, but it says I need to do it where the apps were purchased. So I went back to the pc connected the iPad and I get the message "This iPad cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again." ???

I did get an error when I was trying the 10.5 install manually something about the appleMobile device so I hit ignore. Did I delete something I shouldn't have? I tried to do a repair of the install for AppleMobileDeviceSupport, but that failed too. If I uninstall iTunes and then re-install it will I lose all my purchases? Maybe that will be my solution? I am so frustrated and confused I've lost a whole day of work dinking around with this. I don't understand what I have done to mess this up so much. As I said before, I am not technical at all....I didn't dream it would turn into such a nightmare!

I've messed with this too long....I'm calling it a day and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that the servers were just overwhelmed with 10 million people trying to access it at once. After calling support a few times, it seems that the 3200 error, and other errors related to how your PC needs to speak with their servers, just stems from the inability for itunes to get the info it needs to update the individual iPad based on the iTunes account info. My understanding is that if you reinstall iTunes all your stuff should be there since it is account related to their servers, not your PC. But someone else should confirm that. Mine also seemed very screwed up with a black iPad, nothing happening and it asking me to restore to original software. When I agreed to do that based on the advice of the Apple tech support guy, it worked fine. It was able to restore to original which turned out to be iOS5 and then it began putting back all my iPad information as I had it before the update. Then it took a while to update all the apps, at which point I left and returned two hours later to find it all happy and updated. I do not know how long the update of the apps took since I was out while that was going on. I think that most of these problems will resolve themselves as the stress on the servers begins to calm down. If you are still at a loss, call Apple support, they are extremely nice and helpful and my guess is by now they have a lot of other cases they have helped and will therefore have more knowledge about various problems. Good luck to all.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I go through the hassle of uninstalling my virus protection to try and get 10.5 I want to get Apple support on the phone. Which number is everyone using and do they charge you?

Most reactions