What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your iPad battery better since iOS 5 upgrade?

Is your iPad battery better since iOS 5 upgrade?

• Better

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Worse

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • No Change

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Purely anecdotal, since I didn't do any testing before and after, but it seems to me that I'm charging both iPad and iPhone less since iOS5. I don't THINK I'm using them any less, and I'm none too careful about closing apps that use location services. I've been using the Mophie case with battery for a while now, and I'd recommend it. It will recharge the iPhone from a few percent to fully charged before it needs to be plugged in. Only downside is that it replaces the Apple 30 pin connector with a miniUSB so you need a different cable for charging. Also there is not, so far as I'm aware, a version for iPad.

Reaction score
I had done "quit Apps" and "restart the iPad" and they don't help in slightest way.

Sorry for the hesistation on "reset the iPad". Is there any ill-effect that it has to boldly highlight to do it ONLY if the device is not responsive? My iPad is responding quite well. My only problem is this ridiculously fast battery consumption since upgrading to ios5.

It's crazy having 70% in the morning and dropped to 0% in just 4 hours while " notes" only.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had done "quit Apps" and "restart the iPad" and they don't help in slightest way.

Sorry for the hesistation on "reset the iPad". Is there any ill-effect that it has to boldly highlight to do it ONLY if the device is not responsive? My iPad is responding quite well. My only problem is this ridiculously fast battery consumption since upgrading to ios5.

It's crazy having 70% in the morning and dropped to 0% in just 4 hours while " notes" only.
There are no "ill effects" resetting the iPad. It's best to have any open apps closed prior to running a reset though as if there is some data that needs to be saved (a Pages document for example) it may not be saved.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just discovered a new app called battery sense. It may help you find what is using your battery too quickly.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just discovered a new app called battery sense. It may help you find what is using your battery too quickly.
Battery Sense is a nice find...and free is always good! :thumbs: It doesn't offer any diagnostics but it can tell you how much time might be available during certain activities like reading eBooks, watching videos, listening to audio, etc. I've seen some other apps that do similar things.

Another app called "Activity Monitor" ($1.99) gives you details about system resources and how much is being used at any one time. By the process of elimination (opening and quitting apps) you can find out which ones are the CPU and/or memory hogs. There are other similar apps as well, any of which might be worthwhile for folks trying to diagnose some issues.

punkBarbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Here's what I'd recommend in this order (see if things improve after each one)...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

Awesome, the reset worked. Its been the same for the past 3 hours and before it would have gone down by more than 25% by now.
Thank u thank u thank you!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Here's what I'd recommend in this order (see if things improve after each one)...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

Awesome, the reset worked. Its been the same for the past 3 hours and before it would have gone down by more than 25% by now.
Thank u thank u thank you!
Glad to help!

Keep us posted on how things go and don't be a stranger!

iDrifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No difference here. I am amazed how long the charge last.

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery life had remained the same for me, and I would definitely have. Noticed, since I performed the upgrade myself.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed a decrease in battery life. Yet I'm am not sure at present if it is due to IOS 5 or iPad forum app. Lol
But seriously, it has decreased slightly, but I'm thinking this is because I'm using it a lot more, with all the new feature like iMessage.

Regards,
~Chays~

punkBarbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reset seems to have fixed my battery problem. I last charged it 2days ago and right now it's at 52%. Using it the same as before.

stringer.6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i thin my battery usage time has gone down ... Meaning shorter batter life ..
Earlier i had to charge my ipad2 once in three or four days ...
Now i have to charge it every two days ..

jnovoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery is dying at an alarming rate. What can I do it is about 1% for every minute. Help! I noticed it after I upgraded to OS5. I have to charge it every half a day without using it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery is dying at an alarming rate. What can I do it is about 1% for every minute. Help! I noticed it after I upgraded to OS5. I have to charge it every half a day without using it.
Welcome to the forum!

Ouch! That's not normal at all. Have you tried resetting it? Doing so has resolved the issue for a lot of folks.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.

In the meantime there are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Welcome again and enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts