What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your iPad battery better since iOS 5 upgrade?

Is your iPad battery better since iOS 5 upgrade?

• Better

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Worse

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • No Change

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Haven't noticed any difference, it's as good now as it was before, I have an ipad1

Boss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys know that if you double-tap the "home" button you can close apps right?

Teh iPad is 1337.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boss said:
You guys know that if you double-tap the "home" button you can close apps right?

Teh iPad is 1337.

On iPad, yes, but on iPad 2 no need. Just use the five finger multi gesture to sweep the home screen up. I rarely touch my home button now!

Boss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for... Didn't know that yet! :eek:
Anyway, just found out that you can even do it with 4 fingers! :D

Teh iPad is 1337.

JimmyCoates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since i updated to ios5 my battery depletes faster. Anyone with the same problem?
I do not use icloud sync. I have an ipad1.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
loaderopp said:
Please can you enlighten me.

On iPad 2? When you're on the home screen, put four finger tips on it and slide up... You will see the bar at the bottom with all open apps. Then you just hold one down till they all wiggle and close them one at a time.

I have had my iPad 2 on for sixteen hours today, (me and the kids, not just me!!) and it is finally on 9%. But I have had the Bluetooth keyboard on for about ten of those hours, and had wifi on all day. Played a few games and web surfed but no music. So I am happy with that battery life!!!

Elcid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life has gotten markedly worse after the update. Hence, I started looking for a forum that could explain the cause (e.g., maybe I had to adjust something in my System settings). Previously I would need to recharge my battery every couple of days. I've been running the new iOS since the weekend, and now it looks like I need to recharge every day. It's not quite 2x worse, but
close. From the comments on this forum it sounds like its a mixed bag (50% see improvement, 50% see degradation). I can manage recharging every day, I just was hoping to find an easy answer/solution - but it seems like the cause of the battery life degradation is somewhat mysterious.

Elcid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK.
I did the 'reboot' routine (I thought this was only something to do on Windows PCs), and the battery doesn't appear to be draining unusually fast anymore. I'd say its as good as it was before the iOS5 install.
Thanks for the suggestion.

catmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elcid said:
OK.
I did the 'reboot' routine (I thought this was only something to do on Windows PCs), and the battery doesn't appear to be draining unusually fast anymore. I'd say its as good as it was before the iOS5 install.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the same problem. I have rebooted, removed any location seeking apps and the battery is still draining fast. It was fine before IOS 5. Any other suggestions?

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I only got mine a day or two before the iOS5 update, I can't say whether that's the problem or not. I keep it plugged in all day at work, only taking it off charge when I go outside on a break. I leave work and use it sporadically for 3-4 hours, starting with a full charge, then for about half an hour to read in bed. When I get up, I'm down to about 42%. After roughly an hour and a half of use in the morning, it drops to around 20%.

I close apps regularly and all I'm really doing is checking email, Facebook, news sites etc, so no streaming media or any of that fun stuff.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i think there might be a small increase in battery life...i used to charge it once in 3-4 days when it had ios4.3.5 but now i charge it once in 4-5 days...but then again after ios 5 update i have rarely used 3g as i have no data left...i have left cellular data off and use it only on wifi...so that might be the reason im getting an increased battery life...

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I only got mine a day or two before the iOS5 update, I can't say whether that's the problem or not. I keep it plugged in all day at work, only taking it off charge when I go outside on a break. I leave work and use it sporadically for 3-4 hours, starting with a full charge, then for about half an hour to read in bed. When I get up, I'm down to about 42%. After roughly an hour and a half of use in the morning, it drops to around 20%.

I close apps regularly and all I'm really doing is checking email, Facebook, news sites etc, so no streaming media or any of that fun stuff.

Any ideas?

hmm i guess one reason for decreased battery life may be that u keep it plugged in to charge so long...though the lithium batteries are said to be not damaged by that ,from what i saw it decreases the battery life..so i would recommend u to charge it to 100 % and just leave it in "sleep mode" or power off if ur not using it for extended periods...
and one full discahrge once a month is good for battery life as apple says in its site...
and this will make some small differences...switching off 3g while ur using wifi and vice versa...and lowering ur screen brightness to minimum required levels{decreases the headache too}...
closing the apps wont cause much change IMO cause ios freezes the apps in background...its not ur typical multitasking...so dont worry about that...

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A.K said:
hmm i guess one reason for decreased battery life may be that u keep it plugged in to charge so long...though the lithium batteries are said to be not damaged by that ,from what i saw it decreases the battery life..so i would recommend u to charge it to 100 % and just leave it in "sleep mode" or power off if ur not using it for extended periods...
and one full discahrge once a month is good for battery life as apple says in its site...
and this will make some small differences...switching off 3g while ur using wifi and vice versa...and lowering ur screen brightness to minimum required levels{decreases the headache too}...
closing the apps wont cause much change IMO cause ios freezes the apps in background...its not ur typical multitasking...so dont worry about that...

Actually, because it gets pulled off charge fairly regularly when it's quiet and I go outside to indulge in some of my least pleasant habits, it doesn't reach 100% until fairly close to home time. I don't charge it at all when at home, just leave it in sleep mode during the night. Right now, i'm back up to 48% and about to whip it off again. No 3G on this one - couldn't justify it when I already pay for 4G on my phone and don't have to pay extra to use it as a hotspot.

I haven't let the battery fully discharge yet, but I might try that tonight.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm I see...just try these too...
Keep the wifi off when u don't use it (wifi cause heavy battery consumption)
Keep the blue tooth off when u don't use it
And I would suggest u keep the I pad in power off rather than sleep mode at night.

Most reactions

Latest posts