What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is This In-car Transformer Applicable to iPad?

letsappleit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked for suggestions about In-car iPad charger on Apple.com and someone recommended this (http://www.tinydeal.com/rig8355-p-7375.html). The following is his/her description.
I'm using this in-car transformer (http://www.tinydeal.com/rig8355-p-7375.html), which converts DC 70V to USB 5V. The latter electric tension should be applicable to iPad. Besides, the transformer puts out AC 220V electricity through a through a three-jack socket, where two-pin plug is also compatible. so that other devices like laptop can be charged in car.
I've registered here to ask if this one is eligible. I'm sorry the DC tension should be 24V.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing that really concerns me is that it says, "Input voltage range: DC 24V" and your car's "accessory plug" (we used to call them cigarette lighter plugs in the (cough) good old days) is only 12 volts. Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't use a $12.24 (which is about £8 at a today's rate) charger for my iPad even if the voltage looked correct.

OP
L

letsappleit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing that really concerns me is that it says, "Input voltage range: DC 24V" and your car's "accessory plug" (we used to call them cigarette lighter plugs in the (cough) good old days) is only 12 volts. Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't use a $12.24 (which is about £8 at a today's rate) charger for my iPad even if the voltage looked correct.
Thank you very much. And I wanna talk about the voltage only. I haven't use my car's DC power supply by far, and not paid attention to the exact voltage. So I wanna ask if there is no chance for a car to have a voltage besides DC 24V.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I guess the part I left out of my previous post was that almost all cars manufactured today, even European ones, run off of 12 volts and that is why I raised the question about using this charger. Ideally, you should look for something with a 12 volt input with a USB outlet that supplies at least 10 watts.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Attachments

• 638_car_dual_usb_charger_ipad_e165.jpg
    638_car_dual_usb_charger_ipad_e165.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 315
OP
L

letsappleit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I guess the part I left out of my previous post was that almost all cars manufactured today, even European ones, run off of 12 volts and that is why I raised the question about using this charger. Ideally, you should look for something with a 12 volt input with a USB outlet that supplies at least 10 watts.
Thanks again! I know what to do now.

Most reactions