What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any android device which have a retina display or something like that.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found one, I think kindle fire HD have a decent screen and its price is also reasonable. By the way is any kindle fire HD user exist in this forum. If any please tell me how is it. Please give me an overall review. Thanks in advance.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found one, I think kindle fire HD have a decent screen and its price is also reasonable. By the way is any kindle fire HD user exist in this forum. If any please tell me how is it. Please give me an overall review. Thanks in advance.

I have two 7" ones, but I use them primarily for books and movies. I do most of my browsing, etc., on iPads. They work really well for me.

sharkskill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's all about the resolution. 2048x1536 resolution makes the current Ipads have a good display. There actually is one that can beat it in resolution though. The Nexus 10 has a resolution of 2560x1600.

Exactly! Retina is just a brand name that Apple uses to market the display on their devices (ipad, ipod, iphone and soon the iTV) but the actual resolution is bested by the recently released Nexus 10. Here are the official specs from Google itself: Nexus 10 Tech Specs - Google

And here are some independent reviews/articles which state the obvious (Nexus 10 has a sharper display than the latest iPad 4):
Google Nexus 10 Bests iPad's Retina Display - Hardware -
Is The Nexus 10 Better Than The Fourth Generation iPad? | WebProNews
Larry Magid: Hands-on With Google's New Nexus 10 Tablet

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly! Retina is just a brand name that Apple uses to market the display on their devices (ipad, ipod, iphone and soon the iTV) but the actual resolution is bested by the recently released Nexus 10. Here are the official specs from Google itself: Nexus 10 Tech Specs - Google
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-magid/hands-on-with-googles-new_b_2065978.html

I have both the retina iPad and the Nexus 10. I can't tell a difference between them, other than the iPad has less noticeable backlight bleed. I also had an Asus Infinite iPad TF700. It was essentially the same too. And I had a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and once again, resolution wise, they all looked the same (though the Kindle Fire HDs screen would easily & noticeably distort if you place any pressure along the border of the display). In terms of reading text or graphics on these screen, they are practically the same.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I have a few Android Tablets and an iPad 4.
I find the Note 10.1 brilliant for all manner of things and the pressure sensitive Wacom screen with supplied stylus is great for Artwork using Sketchbook Pro & Infinate Painter. Using the same stylus with 'Multi View' where you have two Apps open at the same time and drag and drop between the two is bliss. i.e. Open your Browser of choice and Notes side by side, circle a peace of text or graphic and drag it over to the Notes App. Hand draw a shape and watch it magically transform into a perfectly drawn form or write a formula and again by magic the answer is displayed etc. etc.
The Nexus 7 is wonderful for reading books. Also, being NFC loaded makes using Tags and sharing info with other NFC devices a breeze.. Have a photo on your Galaxy SIII and want to share it with the Nexus 7? Simply load up the picture in your SIII, hold the two devices together and the file is copied across.
The Asus Transformer is very good if typing on a keyboard is your thing... It has an excellent keyboard with the added benefit of an additional battery and further ports to hook up your hardware.
Also, let us not forget Android makes heavy use of Widgets that can display all manner of information on a Home Screen be that Page 1,2,3,etc. etc.

Finally the iPad 4 which is a joy to use for both Apps I simply can not get on Andoid's Tablet list and attaching to all manner of hardware.

Basically any Tablet will suffice. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If there were one area I wish the iPad had that can be achieved easily with on any of the Android Tablets would be File Transfer.... Yes, you can do it on an iPad but it is nowhere near as simple and straightforward as being able to do it on an Android Tablet.
This however will not change, it is how iOS operates. Being locked down where you can't use a File Manager to construct folders for Music/Video/Photos/ etc. etc. on the iPad with no Mac/PC intervention that you can then 'share' with whatever App you have just does not happen... With files locked to an App you may also end up with multiple copies of the same file with different Apps on your iPad wasting precious space. Goodness, I even ended up copying the same video TWICE to my player of choice yesterday. It was only by accident when I noticed the Storage area of said App had a larger proportion than it should have did I then investigate and found the same video but in two places dedicated to said App. So yes, file transfer/storage I find annoying but at the same time I accept it, otherwise I would not use my lovely iPad. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically any Tablet will suffice. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Agreed.

If there were one area I wish the iPad had that can be achieved easily with on any of the Android Tablets would be File Transfer.... Yes, you can do it on an iPad but it is nowhere near as simple and straightforward as being able to do it on an Android Tablet.
This however will not change, it is how iOS operates. Being locked down where you can't use a File Manager to construct folders for Music/Video/Photos/ etc. etc. on the iPad with no Mac/PC intervention that you can then 'share' with whatever App you have just does not happen... With files locked to an App you may also end up with multiple copies of the same file with different Apps on your iPad wasting precious space. Goodness, I even ended up copying the same video TWICE to my player of choice yesterday. It was only by accident when I noticed the Storage area of said App had a larger proportion than it should have did I then investigate and found the same video but in two places dedicated to said App. So yes, file transfer/storage I find annoying but at the same time I accept it, otherwise I would not use my lovely iPad. :)

I don't know....I do that all the time on my PCs and I think it is over-rated. I seem to be able to get files where I need them on my iPad. Music files to the music player app, Movies stay on my Air stash or go to AVPlayerHD, and other types of files go to their app. I don't see it as being a lot different than storing them in different folders. And I rarely need to send the same file to different apps. If a file needs that, it's better on my PC anyway. Using the wrong tool for the job is not a good thing no matter how you look at it. Also, I can store the file on my Air Stash from the apps I use and read it from there as well. With keyboarding, nothing wrong with any number of BT keyboards that work with iPad. They may not have batteries but I'm not going to be typing on a keyboard for 14-hours anyhow, and the BT kb keep a charge for quite a while and the iPad gets charged nightly, so I don't really see an issue there.

It seems that some folks have adopted the view that moving files around is being productive, but I view that as busy work..the more of it you do, the less actual work you get done. I think people get the notion of being able to do things exactly the way they want to do them (which is really just they way they have always done things) is some sign of freedom or something, but I don't see any evidence of greater output or creativity or anything other than people making a lot of noise. And besides, there are lots of ways to deal with files in an apple eco-system, so you can definitely complicate your life if you want to.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think people get the notion of being able to do things exactly the way they want to do them ... is some sign of freedom or something.

That is the definition of freedom, actually, lol.

It's a tradeoff, though -- Apple trades off ease of use and reliability for freedom. It's not that there's a better OS; it's that there's a better OS for whatever individual users want to do, which is why having choice in the marketplace is great.

It makes no sense to make sweeping judgments about other users' priorities being effective, creative or efficient, because all our priorities will differ, and there's no right approach or OS for everyone.

For me, neither Android nor IOS does everything I want, which is why I use both.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I had a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and once again, resolution wise, they all looked the same (though the Kindle Fire HDs screen would easily & noticeably distort if you place any pressure along the border of the display).

I wonder if your Fire HD was defective. I had a 7" Fire original and now have two 7" Fire HDs, and none of them had/has that prob. I have both my HDs clamped to wire easels that pressure the screens slightly, so that they'll stay on. (I bent the wire easels to my liking and applied the pressure.) I also handle them just like my iPads and Samsung Tab and Note, and none of them shows distortion.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is the definition of freedom, actually, lol.

It's a tradeoff, though -- Apple trades off ease of use and reliability for freedom. It's not that there's a better OS; it's that there's a better OS for whatever individual users want to do, which is why having choice in the marketplace is great.

It makes no sense to make sweeping judgments about other users' priorities being effective, creative or efficient, because all our priorities will differ, and there's no right approach or OS for everyone.

For me, neither Android nor IOS does everything I want, which is why I use both.

I don't use any of these devices because of the OS (unless of course the OS is crappy, then I get away from it), I use them for the conveniences of having a tablet computer and the apps they provide and I accept the OS as the part of the nature of the device. I can do whatever I want within the constraints of iOS, that's how all OSes work. You are free within the constraints of the OS. Apple keeps the ways of doing things limited because in doing so it limits complexity, which is one of the things that can make an OS unresponsive, laggy, and buggy. Trying to dictate how an OS should work is where the problem lies and having constraints doesn't limit ones freedom, it just limits how one does things.

People are just whinny. If you can't adapt to the constraints of a simple OS like iOS, then get the MS Surface style tablet or an Android and live with the constraints imposed by those devices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use any of these devices because of the OS (unless of course the OS is crappy, then I get away from it), I use them for the conveniences of having a tablet computer and the apps they provide and I accept the OS as the part of the nature of the device. I can do whatever I want within the constraints of iOS, that's how all OSes work. You are free within the constraints of the OS. Apple keeps the ways of doing things limited because in doing so it limits complexity, which is one of the things that can make an OS unresponsive, laggy, and buggy. Trying to dictate how an OS should work is where the problem lies and having constraints doesn't limit ones freedom, it just limits how one does things.

People are just whinny. If you can't adapt to the constraints of a simple OS like iOS, then get the MS Surface style tablet or an Android and live with the constraints imposed by those devices.

Like I said, freedom traded off for ease of use and reliability.

It's not whining to see more possibility outside of constraints -- it's that many of us find our devices useful up to a point, and see room for improvements. That's what manufacturers do every day as they try to improve their own products. If we settled for what exists, there would be no need for any progress.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if your Fire HD was defective. I had a 7" Fire original and now have two 7" Fire HDs, and none of them had/has that prob. I have both my HDs clamped to wire easels that pressure the screens slightly, so that they'll stay on. (I bent the wire easels to my liking and applied the pressure.) I also handle them just like my iPads and Samsung Tab and Note, and none of them shows distortion.

Well, it didn't seem defective in any other way. The screen worked fine and looked good, but if you just held it in your hands with a thumb on the bezel chose to the actual screen, you should see distortion of the image in that area. It seemed to exist everywhere along the borders of that screen. It has a tiny bit of flex to it that others one don't seem to have. My original Fire doesn't do that, and none of the several other tablets I have owned have either. Just the 8.9. Anyway, that wasn't why I sent it back, though. I just didn't like the thick skin they put on it. I like the Nexus 10 much, much better and I can even watch Prime videos on it. It was a lot like the Nook I had. I gave that one away. I'm just not a fan of the thickly-skinned media consumption device, even though I consider myself a major-league Amazon user. The neat thing about Amazon is that they are willing to meet me where I am. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it didn't seem defective in any other way. The screen worked fine and looked good, but if you just held it in your hands with a thumb on the bezel chose to the actual screen, you should see distortion of the image in that area. It seemed to exist everywhere along the borders of that screen. It has a tiny bit of flex to it that others one don't seem to have. My original Fire doesn't do that, and none of the several other tablets I have owned have either. Just the 8.9. Anyway, that wasn't why I sent it back, though. I just didn't like the thick skin they put on it. I like the Nexus 10 much, much better and I can even watch Prime videos on it. It was a lot like the Nook I had. I gave that one away. I'm just not a fan of the thickly-skinned media consumption device, even though I consider myself a major-league Amazon user. The neat thing about Amazon is that they are willing to meet me where I am. :)

Yes, love Amazon for its flexibility across platforms.

I'm surprised the thick skin on the 8.9" was a deterrent -- the skin hasn't changed in thickness (very thick) from original to newer models. If you had the original, did you think they'd thin the skin on newer models? I figure it's the Amazon way, like with Apple, to limit things for ease of use and reliability. Like with iOS, restraints mean convenience for some users.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like I said, freedom traded off for ease of use and reliability.

It's not whining to see more possibility outside of constraints -- it's that many of us find our devices useful up to a point, and see room for improvements. That's what manufacturers do every day as they try to improve their own products. If we settled for what exists, there would be no need for any progress.

If I can make a choice to do a thing, then my freedom is not limited. I just have to work within the framework provided. Freedom doesn't imply I have an infinite number of ways to do a thing.

iOS is based upon a paradigm. Apps own files. It's a fundamental, innate choice on OS design. Trying to make iOS into Android is silly. If you want Android, get Android. If you want ports, get the device that gives you that (even though they are fading fast). If you can't live with the 275000+ apps to try, then get Android and get the same apps from Amazon or the web. iOS isn't going to improve by becoming Android. Some say that iOS is that it is the same OS it has always been and they seem to want it to change just to prevent boredom. There might actually be an advantage in having an OS which has basically been the same since its inception. Easy enough for a kid to pick it up and use it without any preconceived notions.

Most reactions

Latest posts