What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an app that can stream music saved on Google Drive?

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app that can stream music saved on Google Drive? Google's own iPad app can't stream music, so I was wondering if there is a third-party app that can do it. (For comparison, Google's own Android app can't stream music either, and there are third-party Android apps that streams music off Google Drive.) Eventually, I hope Google will implement music streaming from Google Drive.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use the amazon cloud MP3 player... I have all my music there at my finger tips and I don't have to down load it all to my iPad...

OP
N

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use the amazon cloud MP3 player... I have all my music there at my finger tips and I don't have to down load it all to my iPad...

Yes, I'm aware of Amazon Cloud Player. There is also Google's equivalent - Google Music. But I'd like to keep my music on Google Drive for other reasons and be able to stream, if possible. If not, I guess I'll have to settle for an alternative like Amazon Cloud Player or Google Music.

The reason I'd like to keep my music on Google Drive is because I can sync all my music with an actual hard disk drive. Google Music or Amazon Cloud don't let you do that. By being able to sync your music between cloud and HDD, you gain more flexibility in managing your music files - tagging, creating a playlist, creating a ringtone from MP3, etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The thing is. streaming isn't just downloading. It requires software on both the server and the mobile device to work properly.

To use Google Drive (which has no streaming services) you'd have to fully download each song before playing it, delete it when done, and download another; though the process could overlap. It wouldn't be a smooth experience, but I suppose someone might have written an app that does that.

Never heard of one though. Sorry.

Elsewhere on the forum members have set up their own streaming services on their own hardware. I can't remember what the keywords/tech-terms were, but a search for streaming, servers, and hard drives should turn up something.

OP
N

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is. streaming isn't just downloading. It requires software on both the server and the mobile device to work properly.

To use Google Drive (which has no streaming services)

Ahh... I didn't know that.. I thought streaming had to do with only the client side.
Does that mean SkyDrive is actively providing streaming service? With the SkyDrive app for iPad, I can definitely see music is being streamed, not downloaded.

OP
N

New Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not have SkyDrive, but a bit of googling found a couple reviews that say it has media streaming.

Yes, that's what I said.

What I'm asking about here in the OP was how to stream off Google Drive.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ahh... I didn't know that.. I thought streaming had to do with only the client side.
Does that mean SkyDrive is actively providing streaming service? With the SkyDrive app for iPad, I can definitely see music is being streamed, not downloaded.

Yes, that's what I said.

What I'm asking about here in the OP was how to stream off Google Drive.

There was a question in the previous post (see first quote).

You seemed to want confirmation about SkyDrive's media streaming, and I attempted to give it. Perhaps it was rhetorical, but I'm kind of literal minded. I probably should have quoted the question for clarity, but it was right after the post, and I get lazy sometimes. :eek:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
twerppoet said:
There was a question in the previous post (see first quote).

You seemed to want confirmation about SkyDrive's media streaming, and I attempted to give it. Perhaps it was rhetorical, but I'm kind of literal minded. I probably should have quoted the question for clarity, but it was right after the post, and I get lazy sometimes. :eek:

Digging your new avatar tp.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts