What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone know what kind off app i need to stream my music wireless from my speakers from my iPad? Anything i have to buy or need?

Reaction score
You would need an Airport Express, or Apple TV connected to your speakers, then you can stream music from most apps to your speakers, no extra software on your iPad required.

Another method would be to stream music from your iPad to another iOS device connected to the speakers, that is, if you happen to have an iPod touch left over.

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i Ask u what AirPort express is? Cause i cant Find anything in apple store

Reaction score
Right, an Airport Express is a wireless access point, which you can connect to speakers and a USB printer, to make these available wirelessly.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

I would advise you to buy a refurbished unit, it is 20-30% cheaper, but exactly the same as new units. Well, technically they are 2nd hand units, but they went through Apple's quality tests again and have the same warranty.

Last edited:
OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for answers. But i dont understand how i Will set this up if i buy one of these. Also what am i going to connect to this device? Only the 3,5
Jacket from my speakers? i see theres a plugin for network cable, does it mean that i have to put a connection from my router to this device? and whats the usb port for?

Reaction score
Blu3Moon said:
Thx for answers. But i dont understand how i Will set this up if i buy one of these. Also what am i going to connect to this device? Only the 3,5
Jacket from my speakers? i see theres a plugin for network cable, does it mean that i have to put a connection from my router to this device? and whats the usb port for?

A) to connect the Airport Express to speakers, the 3.5" jack is used, so you may need an extra cable going from the APE to the speakers, if they don't have a 3.5" input.
B) to connect the Airport Express to your existent Internet connection, either connect it via Ethernet cable to your router, or let it join an existent wireless network.
C) the USB port let's you connect printers to the APE, so any device on the same network can print directly to the printer.

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ah ok, saw some videos of this on youtube and this look very interesting. my speakers has a 3,5 jacket so i was thinking of connecting the speakers to the airport express, then connect the airport through the wireless net at home. then i can run my music and control it from my ipad and the music will come out from my pc speakers.

can you confirm that this will work?:p

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what the Airport Express is designed to do.

One thing to keep in mind is, that if your speakers only have one 3.5" jack input, then you may need a 3.5" splitter to connect both the Airport Express and PC to the speakers.

Why connect the PC to the speakers via cable, if the iPad can Conner wirelessly, you ask. Apple restricted the AirPlay feature, so iTunes is the only desktop application, which can stream music wirelessly to the speakers. There is an app named AirFoil, which let's any program stream music to the speakers, but it is limited to one program at a time. In contrast, all iPad apps can stream their music wirelessly.

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what kind of splitter was you thinking of? and yea, my speakers have only one 3,5 input jacket... thx for the thought for pc, but my ipad has kind of replaced my pc :p sry if i misunderstood you now

Reaction score
If you wanted to continue using your PC, it may be useful if it is also connected to the speakers. But if you intend to trash the PC, then I certainly won't be the one to stop you :D

Anyway, here is the splitter I use. Dirt-cheap, but does the job of letting me connect a PC as well as the airport express to the speakers.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Jack-Splitter-Adapter-Black/dp/B001D87Y48/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303423891&sr=8-3[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahh alright thx. Then i have to buy a cable so i can connect to this device from my computer right? a 3,5 male/female to male/female? cause the only cable comes from the speaker, and it needs to be plug on this device, which will be on the AE right?

Reaction score
If you put the above linked splitter into the Airport Express, then you would need a 3.5mm male to male cable, such as the one below.

What I do is to put the splitter into the Airport Express, then use a male-to-male from the splitter to the speakers and another one from the splitter to the computer.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Plug-1-2M/dp/B00077DC3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303424663&sr=1-1[/ame]

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ah thx a lot for all answers, this really helped me a lot. I was thinking from day 1 when i got the ipad ( 3 days ago) how i was going to stream the music from my ipad to my speakers, but know i now :) thx a lot once again :)

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
one question: when i use the pc, do i have to use itunes or can i use whatever programs i want?

Reaction score
With the above method of using the splitter, your PC is directly connected to the speakers and thus any sound gets played on the speakers. It is only, if you where to stream music wirelessly to the speakers, that the sound from the PC would be restricted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts