What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There a Problem with Battery Usage?

TechnicGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Have iPAD Mini 2 with latest iOS update.

I don't quite understand battery stats so here are a couple of screenshots:

IMG_0050-51.jpg

And another one:

IMG_0052-53.jpg

Is there something that overconsumes battery? The battery status is shown as "Good" in settings but it's a 7-year old device.
What is the battery life that I can get from this device, assuming light use such as: YouTube, Facebook and reading e-books?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Given that the iPad Mini is over 7 years old, this doesn't look too bad. Depending on how heavily you use a device with ion-lithium batteries you can expect the battery capacity to decrease by 20% over 3 to 4 years. A 7 year old device probably only has between 60 to 70 percent of the original battery capacity even with casual use, and the second generation iPad Mini didn't have outstanding battery capacity to begin with. At least compared to newer models. It was pretty good for the time.

iOS doesn't report bad batteries just because of normal wear and tear. I think it needs to either wear beyond normal (losing a lot more capacity than expected) or have a serious fault to report, but I have not idea how it actually works.

I see you are using the Book app a lot. Keep in mind that the screen brightness will have a huge impact on battery drain. As long as it does not make reading more difficult try turning down the brightness a bit and see if it helps.

As for background usage, simply powering the ipad down and back on will stop most third party apps from performing background tasks. The few types background tasks that iPadOS allows to be triggered without opening the app have little impact on battery.d

Of course some apps have been known to misbehave. FaceBook was notorious about it for a while, but I'm not aware of any known bad actors at this time. Those should show up in the list in your battery settings. If you tap on SHOW ACTIVITY, it will switch from showing percentages to hours and minutes. It will also break it down between screen and background battery usage.

Most reactions

Latest posts