What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a point of having an iPad if you own an iPhone

imageh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wondered this question, if you have an iPhone why would you need an iPad? Does anyone here have an Ipad and iPhone? I myself have crackberry for my phone and just bought an iPad.
Would seem silly to own both no?

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're a 3 iPhone, 3 iPad family :) the iPhone doesn't get very much use now other than calls and text but won't be getting rid of them! I can't see me taking the iPad everywhere with me, so I still want the phone for that.

Crimguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and a Macbook. And I'm still excited to have the ipad for reading, media, etc.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use both ..my iphone is beening used what is was design for ..it a phone with a few apps on phone for travel along with ipad beening used my personal use .

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wondered this question, if you have an iPhone why would you need an iPad? Does anyone here have an Ipad and iPhone? I myself have crackberry for my phone and just bought an iPad.
Would seem silly to own both no?

Please explain why it would be silly.

Can you make phone calls on the iPad? Maybe, but it's not really practical as a phone. I can't imagine taking all of my school notes on my iPhone, screen and keyboard are way too small.

So, no, it's not silly, quite a few people on this site own both.

BuayaGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a Mac Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. I don't own a laptop because, frankly, I'm not mobile enough to need one. If I need to do something quick like email or check something online, the iPhone is more than capable.

The iPad usage will be about 99% in-home, or if I go on vacation where a traditional laptop would be useful to have. The Mac Pro is still the main machine where I do most of my work, but for casual web browsing, the iPad is being used more and more. I'm not that much of a gamer anymore, but there are some great games on the iPad that are quite addictive (Plants vs. Zombies, anyone?)

So yes, the iPad really fits in well as a casual laptop replacement - bigger screen than an iPhone when you want to surf or play games (and I'm sure you could use Skype, but the iPhone app is perfect - feels like you're making any other phone call.)

The iPad really is more than an oversized iPhone, as much as the haters would like to disagree.

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both an Iphone and Ipad. The Ipad will replace a netbook for travel. My Iphone has a number of apps which are quite handy when I travel. It is quicker and easier to whip out the Iphone than the Ipad.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imageh, as long as you have that link as your signature, I won't take you seriously. There are no free ipads from commercial sources.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have both. The are different products and I like both, though I must admit my iPhone is used as just a phone now and the iPad gets all the Internet and app use.

I think many people get hung up on the fact they both use the same basic OS. A PC tablet, a netbook, a laptop and a desktop all use the same OS, but you use them differently.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you own a 3GS you can use it as a camera for the iPad only 3GS tho (camera a, camera b apps). That's just a small example how owning both is worth it. The iPad is perfect for persona use the iPhone just enables the extra portableness that you might want depending on the situation. And there are differences they are both the same and unique.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
I'm going along with the consensus. An iPhone or other smart phone is great. The limited screen real estate means its easy to take around in your pocket and do some limited internet activity with it. But the larger screen of the iPad means you can become more immersed in movies, you can more easily do emails, and websites aren't shrunk to a size so small they're nearly useless. And another biggy - most people over 40 have some difficulty reading small stuff on small screens.

nickp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my wife and i have iPhones and i have a 3G iPad I am actually thinking about getting rid of both iPhones and getting my wife another iPad 3G, and then exchanging the iPhones for a basic flip phone. I could get rid of 2 $30/mo data plans (iPhones) and use that for unlimited iPad data.

Right now i am paying $30/mo x 3 for both phones and the pad. With the new configuration i would only be paying for the iPad data times 2.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One could argue it's kind of silly to web browse and do all the things that apps do on a 3.5 low res screen. BTW I have a droid and itouch and love the ipad.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rick Ornberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eaglemountainpromotions.com
I still use them both, but find that I'm eliminating some apps from the phone that are best suited for the pad, etc. Overall, I'm using a my iPhone much less now, but I wasn't a big talker anyway. The iPhone is still my iPod, but most of my photos are now on the iPad. Still use the phone for texting, but all email and surfing is now on the ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts