What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waiting for the 4 & then my homeschooled oldest son can have my 2 for homework & book reading. I just can't justify the expense or loss of selling my 2 so soon after purchasing it for the small upgrades the 3(new) has.
I'm sure the display rocks. I'm sure the camera is outstanding. I'm sure the CPU is faster. But I can't spend nearly 1G every March for a new "frivolous" tablet device(as my hubby calls it, since he finds tablet devices pointless since they have no disk drives or USB ports).
I don't happen to agree with him, but that is besides the point.....

I'll need to skip every other gen or end up just buying a MacBook because there is no way that my cash can keep up with the yearly releases of these products.

I love my iPad but cost is a huge factor to us. Upgrades have to be worth it. The 3 just wasn't.

nade1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
I think a reviewer mentioned that it is like putting on a pair of glasses for the first time when you found out you need them. You just did not know how much better things looked with 20/20 vision. Yes, I had that experience at 18 years of age of getting my first pair of glasses - this was a similar experience.

I totally agree. I had all 3 models. There is no debate..IMHO.

nade1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
celly said:
Oh yeah, this screen rocks. The iPad 2 was no slouch, but the 3 has certainly raised the bar. Anyone that says they can't see the differences is either lying, or blind. :D

For sure

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonWell said:
I really don't think it's a "brain" thing. It's just that, some people really value a great screen resolution, while others value performance.

You would be absolutely wrong about that. Valuing is one thing, but not being able to tell the difference is completely different. There are hard stats on these things. TV manufacturers did a lot of the studies.

That said I would expect that 90 percent of iPad 2 owners will have a hard time finding value in an upgrade to justify it.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Daylife said:
That doesn't even make sense, the iPad 1-2 have the same exact screen.......but you can tell difference for the iPad 1 to the 3rd gen but not from the 2nd to 3rd?

Right, we put them side by side and the difference wasn't that noticeable. I've always thought the iPad 2 screen looked better than the iPad 1, although they are supposed to be the same.

At any rate, I really like the new iPad .

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I think that those of us who had the original iPad can really see the difference. I can really tell from looking at my old iPad 1 and this new one. My daughter has the iPad 2, and to me, I didn't see that big a difference. If I'd had the iPad 2, I wouldn't have upgraded. But that's just my opinion.

Yes the words are crisper when reading text, and screen definitely brighter, compared to my iPad 1. I'm finding that things still seem to take a long time to download, which I thought was weird. I'm not seeing this lightening speed : (

Interesting. I assume this is on 4G??

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it strange that this entire display/screen topic is such an argument or ongoing discussion. I upgraded from a 1st gen iPad to the "new.". Spent a portion of the weekend including now playing with the new Pad and comparing it to my old. I can also add I have numerous Plasma TVs in the house and a $6K plus 1080p projector in the theater and I can easily say I appreciate quality video /resolution, color, and contrast etc.

Don't get me wrong, the new screen is obviously better in many ways technically as well as many that most can see physically. But if I was to place a percentage on my reasons to upgrade on either CPU/LTE performance compared to the new display, the screen would only be about 25%. I can also add that several aps still look better (font wise - and much of this comment pertains to size and contrast) on the 1st gen. And I do have 20/20. :)

IMHO - answering the original question, the screen would not be enough for me to upgrade if I already had the iPad 2.

- But then again, the upgraditis bug is hard to fight off. :)

Cheers

MoonWell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
myjewelfetish.wordpress.com
KJSmitty said:
I find it strange that this entire display/screen topic is such an argument or ongoing discussion.

Cheers

Lol my sentiments exactly! It's an upgrade for sure, but not worth a heated discussion with brain and IQ exams to boot, lol. Get it if you want, don't get it if you don't. Simple. Or at least it should be IMO.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
I find it strange that this entire display/screen topic is such an argument or ongoing discussion. I upgraded from a 1st gen iPad to the "new.". Spent a portion of the weekend including now playing with the new Pad and comparing it to my old. I can also add I have numerous Plasma TVs in the house and a $6K plus 1080p projector in the theater and I can easily say I appreciate quality video /resolution, color, and contrast etc.

Don't get me wrong, the new screen is obviously better in many ways technically as well as many that most can see physically. But if I was to place a percentage on my reasons to upgrade on either CPU/LTE performance compared to the new display, the screen would only be about 25%. I can also add that several aps still look better (font wise - and much of this comment pertains to size and contrast) on the 1st gen. And I do have 20/20. :)

IMHO - answering the original question, the screen would not be enough for me to upgrade if I already had the iPad 2.

Cheers

Lmao, literally!!!!! :D

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonWell said:
Lol my sentiments exactly! It's an upgrade for sure, but not worth a heated discussion with brain and IQ exams to boot, lol. Get it if you want, don't get it if you don't. Simple. Or at least it should be IMO.

I'm not sure it's that simple. If you question people's sanity because they see reasons to upgrade, I think they have a right to question eyesight. It's just not reasonable to leave it alone when people say there is no difference. The facts are plain and visible to 90% of people. My point was that 10% will not see it no matter how much they want or don't want to.

wmurphy1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new screen resolution sounds very impressive from the specs I read, but I'm not sure how drastic the difference is in real world use. You can read a post I wrote here regarding the differences and if it is worth the cost of the upgrade.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agreed.

I've had retina screen since 2010, on iPhone 4, then in iPhone 4S since last year. The screen is crisper, but it's not something I'm going to be wowed by in 2012.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pianoman said:
The reason why you have so many different opinions about the screen and being able to see the difference or not between it and ipad2 is something pretty simple as I see it. People simply aren't comparing apples with apples as they're looking at the new screen.

First of all most of the applications that people use daily are not updated for the new screen yet on the iPad. That alone will account for about half of the people who say they can't see a difference they're simply looking at the wrong thing to compare. Secondly you have to be looking at a source that is written at the higher resolution and then that same source on your iPad one or two and do the direct comparison there. Then 100% of the people 100% of the time in any lighting setting would see the difference between the new screen and the iPad 1 or 2 screen. There would be no question as to the new screen's absolute superiority.

If for example you're just going to a webpage and comparing the two webpages back to back in many cases that's not going to be the proper comparison because the graphics of the webpage itself may not be high-definition.

A true test would be to go to one of the movie trailer websites which are almost always in HD in the page's coding. I'll see if I can find some true HD coded pages that everyone here could do a true comparison test on.

When a true side-by-side, apples to apples, comparison is done between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 screens everyone will be able to see the enormous difference.

Now whether that difference is enough to make someone go out and buy one tomorrow is an entirely different matter. There's also that strange interpersonal mentality of "I don't have the money right now" therefore I have to find something not so good about it to justify my not finding the $ now for a new one. Equally as powerful a motivator is the mentality of people that just simply have to have all the newest products and therefore also have to justify just how great the new one is compared to the old one that "forced" them to go get the first one in their neighborhood.

But again in any true one-to-one comparison between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 screen, in any lighting setting, with any level of current vision they have, EVERYone will be able to see the difference (except possibly for those who are truly color blind).

Great Post... However, being color blind will not effect your ability to see definition and detail. Just colors and even then, to a color blind person those colors would be the same on both displays.

My biggest difference for me is text, for example in this post. Much better and easier for me to read than on the old display. Since 90% of what I do is dealing with black text against a white background I see a lot more detail in letters. Where before they were a bit fuzzy and jagged.

The other difference is High Def against Hi Def comparisons. You are correct that if someone is watching 720p resolution in an app, the conversion to 1080P on the new iPad is not as noticeable. In some cases.

I have not tested this display for its ability to upscale internally for native resolution that are sub 1080P. I wish I had now kept my old one for a bit to do a shootout with some test material. Oh well, I see the difference and it was worth it to me!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The high resolution screen may not mean a lot to many people, but it will have a major impact on some areas. The medical field has embraced the iPad, but now it is really practical since it has a screen with the ability to properly look at X-rays. Look at the Apple app store. Do you see a new catagory called catalogues? Retailers now feel they can put out a proper catalogue because of the new screen, saving millions of trees and hopefully clearing out my wife's horde. And the use of the iPad to replace textbooks is more realistic with the crisp letters and pictures they need.

There are those who will never need or care about the new screen. But most buyers also do not understand the special connection Steve Jobs had with graphic design. It was why Apple was one of the first to produce a desktop laser printer, and many of the standard practices in graphic design were started by Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts