What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

John Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went to kylocal apple store and took along my ipad 2 for comparison, i didn't notice much difference between the two nor did the guy standing next to me (we both compared my ipad2 with the same display model),i'm 95% certain i will wait for the ipad4

You probably were mistakenly looking at two iPad 2s. There is no way any person with decent eye sight could not see a striking difference. There are NO visible pixels on the new screen. It's like looking at a laser-printed page.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just at best buy looking at what I suspected was an iPad 2 (next to an iPad 2 sign), when a guy with an iPad 3 came over.

Unfortunately, even after zooming in on letters in comparison, we were both scratching our heads and unable to 100% claim the supposed iPad 2 display unit wasn't an iPad 3. He slunk away and seemed disappointed. I'm fairly certain it's the same unit that's been there every time when I would visit the store for the past year..

To be fair after I spent more time with them, one side of the table seemed like the images were better, but then I would switch sides and have the "wait - these images are good too.." response.

I was there on launch day (totally unrelated) and wondered over to the iPad display, and remember a salesperson asking a coworker - "Are these the iPad 2s or the new ones?"

So that's my experience as a potential buyer with it so far..

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skallal said:
I just bought the 3rd gen after 2 years with the 1st gen. My middle aged eyes can see a huge difference in reading smaller text.

To be fair, I have a Zagg shield in my 1st gen screen. I am not sure if that affects the quality or not? I suspect not. I have a lower shield on my iPhone 3GS which really reduces the quality.

That said, I've never owned or used the iPad 2 other than store demo models. So I can't comment.

This is my first iPad, but I agree with the smaller text comment. I can read much smaller text...without any effort at all...than I could on my android tablet.

I have a friend with a 2. We are meeting next week for coffee; I guarantee she'll say she can't see a difference. And then she'll upgrade a month or so later.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the real answer to this thread is that I look through my eyes not yours and I spend my money not yours. If you don't feel it is worth it, don't do it. Believe me, I have zero intention of upgrading another Ipad anytime soon so unless the 4 can print money I am sticking with what I have for the forseeable future and I don't care if it has a holographic display.

Well...maybe if it has a holographic display...

nade1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
John Adams said:
You probably were mistakenly looking at two iPad 2s. There is no way any person with decent eye sight could not see a striking difference. There are NO visible pixels on the new screen. It's like looking at a laser-printed page.

I know...I have old eyes and it jumped right out at me

OP
I

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
15 pages. Yikes!! Thanks for keeping it civil and not flaming me guys :) Just want to update all of you after reading this thread. Headed over to the mall to the apple store, brought my iPad Gen 1, whipped it out, compared it and daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I understand. Just when you think Apple can't do it any better...

I am now saving my dollar bills and change for the inevitable purchase. Part of me wishes I never went lol.

But one drawback is that the iPad 3 seemed kind of hot while I was fiddling around with it. My old gen 1 iPad never really gets warm so may have to look into that.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
15 pages. Yikes!! Thanks for keeping it civil and not flaming me guys :) ....

I am sure that a lot of the flaming is just over a misunderstanding. The reason apple calls it a retina display is because the density of pixels is such that your eyes cannot discern individual pixels at a certain distance. The key here is the viewing distance.
The trick is that a 65" 1080p tv is a retina display at 9 feet. The old iPad 1 and 2 are retina displays at 3 feet. When you get closer to the screen than that, then you will notice those are no longer retina. The new iPad is a retina display down to about 12 inches. Since most folks hold iPads about 18 inches when viewing them and it just happens that is the sweet spot for the new iPad screen.

So if someone says they cannot tell the difference between an iPad 2 and iPad 3 screen - I can believe them as neither can I at 3 feet. Plus there are eye and brain conditions that would also prevent seeing the necessary resolution even when closer.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted a thread on here a while a go about how I went to play with a new iPad and wasn't overly impressed with the screen.

I have purchased a new iPad this evening upgrading from my iPad 1. The screen is getting more impressive as I keep staring at it. Overall though you can't knock any of the screens in iPads. If I had an iPad 2 I wouldn't of upgraded until iPad 4

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what took apple so long to bring dictating feature to keyboard? this isnt a new feature. Android tabs had this feature for the longest. same thing with siri also. SMH

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad007 said:
what took apple so long to bring dictating feature to keyboard? this isnt a new feature. Android tabs had this feature for the longest. same thing with siri also. SMH

They have only been out for 2 years.

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dictation isn't 2 years new though, it could of easily been implemented in the first iPad. But glad it's here nonetheless.

Most reactions