What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the new screen that big of a deal?

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The retina display looks beautiful IMO. I was wondering if the screen gets scratched easily? I'm contemplating if a protector is needed or not once it arrives..

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
Went into best buy to p/u my new iPad. Ask them if they had demos out. They pointed to the demo table and said two are new and the other two are the iPad 2. I could not tell which was which maybe my eyes are bad? So I didn't buy the new one, yet.

New glasses? ;-)

Personally, I see a huge difference. But, as always, if you're happy with what you have, why waste the money?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The retina display looks beautiful IMO. I was wondering if the screen gets scratched easily? I'm contemplating if a protector is needed or not once it arrives..

I never had a screen protector on my and the screen was perfect when I sold my iPad2. I do not plan to put one on my iPad3. I do have a Bear Motion Case, though, which does provide screen and back/edge protection. Otherwise, the thing would get scratched up pretty bad. I might even put a skin on it for those rare times when I do take it out of the case.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I never had a screen protector on my and the screen was perfect when I sold my iPad2. I do not plan to put one on my iPad3. I do have a Bear Motion Case, though, which does provide screen and back/edge protection. Otherwise, the thing would get scratched up pretty bad. I might even put a skin on it for those rare times when I do take it out of the case.

I concur. Never scratched my older iPad, but it lived in a case and as I have a variety of little critters with fingernails and claws, I make sure I close the cover whenever I lay it down anywhere. My best friend, on the other hand, did not bother with a case, and hers is in pretty bad shape.

Dragonrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opened the box on my new 3 & put the screen protector on before I even fired it up… had one on my iP 1 & it looks new...

Gunneruseipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went to kylocal apple store and took along my ipad 2 for comparison, i didn't notice much difference between the two nor did the guy standing next to me (we both compared my ipad2 with the same display model),i'm 95% certain i will wait for the ipad4

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
The difference, IMO is stunning to say the least. Text is amazingly clear and the screen just has an amazing brightness that has been unseen. Apps look amazing and while browsing the web, its easier to read the text on the screen without zooming in.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I put the both iPads side by side and put up a wallpaper from the settings choices the difference is very clear. Very clear !
Sharpness and contrast are exactly what apple has boasted it would be. Color contrast is gorgeous. I go to my ipad2 and as much as it is still my favorite being such an awesome tablet you cannot dispute the level of improvement. IMO 50% higher definition

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I bought my 2 on release day. I bought my 3 on release day. Assuming I can sell my 3 for a decent price, I will get a 4 on release day. These things have wonderful resale value. The same cannot be said for my Android tablet. I might have to give it away to be free of it. Plus it is clunky acting and looking.

I couldn't sell my Samsung even when I tried to take a loss. The price dropped $50 in the short time I had it. I finally contacted amazon and begged them to take it back (I was a few days out of my return window). They did, but I lost money on it. I'm sticking with Apple products from now on.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunneruseipad2 said:
i went to kylocal apple store and took along my ipad 2 for comparison, i didn't notice much difference between the two nor did the guy standing next to me (we both compared my ipad2 with the same display model),i'm 95% certain i will wait for the ipad4

I respectfully disagree. If you bring up the settings wallpapers and do side by side , one by one , which myself and several reliable people with me spent 35 minutes doing tonight, it's impossible not to see the difference. It's not slight either. In a overly bright apple store with all factors involved watering down the effect of improvement you might tend to see much less in the difference. IMO you missed it somehow. Sorry but the effective increase in color and contrast and soft to hard edges is phenomenal.
I am not seeing things.
Between the screen , battery , signal gain and speed , faster chip ,not to mention a few small surprises, I feel justified in the purchase now for sure. However I see yours and many others decision that they would wait it out for a 4th generation iPad. Not the wrong strategy nor the correct one. It's just a strategy. The screen alone would now make me secure in my upgrade decision. This was not a minor undertaking Apple performed. Seems the task matched the end result imo. Just my opinion. You will see on the ipad4 when you get it home and compare to a Ipad2 if possible. Its only a 10 month wait. I love my ipad2and im keeping it. Although very effective ,iPhone is not what Retina display was meant for.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Went into best buy to p/u my new iPad. Ask them if they had demos out. They pointed to the demo table and said two are new and the other two are the iPad 2. I could not tell which was which maybe my eyes are bad? So I didn't buy the new one, yet.

"Post are better with pictures ".

Well, if they hadn't updated the apps you might might not notice the difference. I'm a photographer and have had the Ipad one for almost two years. I find the difference quite something--stunning as someone said. The first email I typed blew me away with the difference in the text. Photos, if they are good resolution to begin with, are just extraordinary. Text in updated apps is wonderful. Open the same book, same page, maybe one with a photo (like the Steve Jobs biography for instance) and put them side by side. I don't see how anyone can miss the big difference.

That, however, is not a good reason to upgrade from Ipad 2. Not sure I would ugrade from 2 but from Ipad One its a big upgrade--speed, smoothness, clarity and resolution of screen, all apps open quickly with no issues and some apps work in it that would not on Ipad one. I loved my one for moving me to a different way and places to use a computer but I am thrilled with my Ipad 3.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main thing I noticed was how great my photo collection looked. However, when to buy any iPad is a personal decision. For some, the screen ruins the older models for them. For others, it means little. This screen is going to be in the ipad for a long time. Only an equivalent that is thinner and uses less power will justify replacing it. So if a person waits for a later model, they will be getting the screen then. Its all good.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:

"Post are better with pictures ".

Ditto. It was not very apparent to me either. I vote for staying with the thinner, lighter iPad 2 for me, though I may upgrade from a 16 to a 32.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
25 Years of evaluating Video Displays, and I can say there is absolutely a difference in the display from the iPad2 to the iPad3. If this is something you are sensitive to, and I am, the upgrade is definately worth it. Crisp text, graphics and enhanced color.

I went and bought an iPad2 last Fall, thinking there was no way that Apple would get to a Retna Display this soon. I thought I had at least another year. Dang! So, I traded in my iPad2 this afternoon for an iPad3 and very happy about it. =)

Last edited:

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jduncan said:
Ditto. It was not very apparent to me either. I vote for staying with the thinner, lighter iPad 2 for me, though I may upgrade from a 16 to a 32.

Like others said, you must of not done proper tests, people are saying it's an impossible thing to miss.

Most reactions

Latest posts