What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Apple Pencil’s battery dying?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can plug my Apple Pencil (the round-barrel one) into either my iPad Pro, or into the charger using the little adapter. It appears to take a charge - shows the lightning bolt - and the battery indicator on the iPad shows the lightning bolt for the pencil, too.

After seemingly charging the pencil, I just checked it, and the Pencil’s charge indicator started at 90%, then inched down to something like 5% as I watched it!

Is this the Pencil’s way of saying that its battery is end-of-life? Bought in 2018, but not the 2018 models. I have used it a moderate amount - when I’m not writing or doing non-graphics work.

Is this how much life that Pencil gives? Thank you for any information!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can plug my Apple Pencil (the round-barrel one) into either my iPad Pro, or into the charger using the little adapter. It appears to take a charge - shows the lightning bolt - and the battery indicator on the iPad shows the lightning bolt for the pencil, too.

After seemingly charging the pencil, I just checked it, and the Pencil’s charge indicator started at 90%, then inched down to something like 5% as I watched it!

Is this the Pencil’s way of saying that its battery is end-of-life? Bought in 2018, but not the 2018 models. I have used it a moderate amount - when I’m not writing or doing non-graphics work.

Is this how much life that Pencil gives? Thank you for any information!
How much working time do you get from your Apple Pencil? Apple says you should get 12 hours on a full charge and 30 minutes on a 15 second rapid charge by plugging it directly into your iPad Pro. If you’re getting significantly less than this you may indeed have a dying battery.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd say that that 12 hours' worth of working time is about right, but what is new to me is plugging in the pen, and watching the green circle go from appx 100% down to appx 5% as I watched. I'd never seen that green circle move, except upward, during the charging process.

Over the life of the pen, I'd mostly let the battery get pretty low before gassing back up again. Maybe a few times I "topped off." I try to practice good battery hygiene on all of my devices.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try using the Apple Pencil until the battery dies then immediately charge it again to see if that makes a difference in the charge indicator.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still waiting for the pencil battery to require charging. Haven’t plugged it in since the other day’s post. Continuing to use it.

Most reactions