What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Monitor for the Apple Pencil?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad Pro just warned me that my Apple Pencil only had ten percent charge left. It is now charging, but there is nothing to tell me when it is fully charged. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Later Note: I just discovered this handy bit of info......

How to check the remaining battery life of the Apple Pencil

Checking the remaining battery life of the Apple Pencil is also fast and easy.

1. Tap the top of your iPad Pro's screen to pull down Notifications.
2. Go to the Today view in Notifications.
3. You'll see the remaining battery life of your Apple Pencil

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting side note. You can tell when the Pencil is awake. If the Pencil is sleeping (conserving battery) the battery widget will not appear in Notification Center.

If you don't see the widget, just pick your Pencil up. It doesn't take much to wake it.

Which makes the Pencil holder on my case a bit of a double edged sword. Yes, the Pencil is there when I need it, but it also means that the Pencil is awake and using battery whenever I'm holding/using the iPad.

Luckily it charges real fast when you use the iPad's lighting port method.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting side note. You can tell when the Pencil is awake. If the Pencil is sleeping (conserving battery) the battery widget will not appear in Notification Center.

If you don't see the widget, just pick your Pencil up. It doesn't take much to wake it.

Which makes the Pencil holder on my case a bit of a double edged sword. Yes, the Pencil is there when I need it, but it also means that the Pencil is awake and using battery whenever I'm holding/using the iPad.

Luckily it charges real fast when you use the iPad's lighting port method.

Interesting observation---but my widget seems to always appear. What puts the pencil to sleep?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting observation---but my widget seems to always appear. What puts the pencil to sleep?

As near as I can tell, not moving for a while. Mine has been sitting on the (fairly stable) desk for over an hour, and this is what I see.

image.png

I nudge the Pencil an inch or so, and now I see this:

image.png

The widget never goes away when I have it attached to the iPad's case, probably because just tapping the iPad is enough movement to wake it.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Twerpoet. I had been checking it with the pencil on my lap desk alongside my iPad, but apparently it must be quite stationary to turn off. When I put it on a desk for a while it did turn off. Maybe one of these days I will have the patience to monitor it and see how long it takes (while watching the paint peel!).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

I don't expect I'll ever be that patient, but it would not surprise me if tech blogger is, so I'll be keeping my eye out for that article. Maybe it will happen before your paint finishes pealing. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts