What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iWork a very good replacement for Microsoft Office?

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was planning to buy some apps for my iPad which includes iWork but I am not quite sure if it is a good app because just like many of you I grew up with Microsoft Office.

Hope you could help me which one to buy for my iPad! Office or iWork?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is MS Office available? There were rumors a while back, but I haven't read anything on the subject for weeks, if not months.

iWorks products, Pages, Numbers and Keynote are file compatible with Office, and considering the cost, are remarkably good, but they are cut down versions of the desktop programs.

You can buy the lot for $30. I don't know if it's cheaper, or even possible, to buy all three as a suite, but I reckon they're a no-brainer at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
A

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Actually that is what I have heard also, that Microsoft will be available for iPad. But right now I needed to make sure that this iWork really works for my iPad and as useful.
Thank you for telling me that its a cut down version! I wont waste ten dollars for this! ;)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Personally, I don't expect to see MS Office on the iPad, unless the MS Surface tanks. I think MS will keep it to themselves and bundle it with the Surface to try and give their tablet some sort of edge over the competition.

It might not be a bad idea to look at an iPad running Pages and Numbers. They are surprisingly complete, but probably not complete enough for a heavy-duty business user.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember the rumors for MS office on the iPad, complete with a picture of the splash screen. I also noticed that the pictures of Microsoft office on the new Surface tablet looked remarkably like.

I think the source of the rumors got the right software but the wrong tablet.

And remember, Microsoft denied the first rumor, and simply ignored the second one.

OP
A

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No problem. Personally, I don't expect to see MS Office on the iPad, unless the MS Surface tanks. I think MS will keep it to themselves and bundle it with the Surface to try and give their tablet some sort of edge over the competition.

It might not be a bad idea to look at an iPad running Pages and Numbers. They are surprisingly complete, but probably not complete enough for a heavy-duty business user.

The funny thing is that when I was looking for a MS App I saw one that says it is a 2010 version Nd when I read the review, people were furious as hell because it was a scam! Nonetheless, they retained that app for downloads! they should remove that app so no one attempts to buy it since it's a scam!

OP
A

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I remember the rumors for MS office on the iPad, complete with a picture of the splash screen. I also noticed that the pictures of Microsoft office on the new Surface tablet looked remarkably like.

I think the source of the rumors got the right software but the wrong tablet.

And remember, Microsoft denied the first rumor, and simply ignored the second one.

Yeah, I remember they did but I was hopeful since iPad could be really useful and I would really wish that they would develop the apps more so that I wont need a desktop with a keyboard forever! I am always on the go and iPad is my life since then.

oleyellabuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iWork apps are workable (har har) alternatives, but they aren't complete MS Office replacements. I'm just hoping MS releases an iPad version of office, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's neutered in some way.

OP
A

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oleyellabuck said:
iWork apps are workable (har har) alternatives, but they aren't complete MS Office replacements. I'm just hoping MS releases an iPad version of office, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's neutered in some way.

Huh! I agree!

ripipemender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and use numbers as well as quick office pro, both work somewhat, I use excel and word for work applications, and have forms in both, the problem I have with both is the way the keyboard reacts. It will move to what ever cell it wants to in a spread sheet file. It will not hold case or form (numbers or letters). Makes I hard to use. App authors do like all others do, blame the other for the problem. Use is only sparely. When it could be more help if it worked

OP
A

Altha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ripipemender said:
I have and use numbers as well as quick office pro, both work somewhat, I use excel and word for work applications, and have forms in both, the problem I have with both is the way the keyboard reacts. It will move to what ever cell it wants to in a spread sheet file. It will not hold case or form (numbers or letters). Makes I hard to use. App authors do like all others do, blame the other for the problem. Use is only sparely. When it could be more help if it worked

Thank you for the information! Te reason why I would like to buy the apps is because of the benefits and usefulness but if it causes more frustrations than help I don't think so. hank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts