What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to connect a video game controller to the ipad 2?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For example, on my PC, I am using an Xbox 360 controller to play games via my USB port.

I understand that the ipad 2 doesn't have a USB port, so is there any other way of connecting a game controller to it?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't you also have to install drivers for said 360 controller? The same would need to happen on the iPad...and apple won't allow that. But when/if :D JB is released for ipad2...you can install emulators that can utilize the Wii controller that connects via BT for games.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you know if the Fling will stick if I have a screen protector on?

Also, which joystick are you getting? Joystick-It? I was considering that, but it looks pretty big.

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Yes, joystick it.

It looks fairly chunky. I'll wait and see. Dunno about a screen protector though, but it's just a standard sukka thing you lightly lick and press on. Try something similar to see. The fling really is superb.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have joystick it x 2....I like'm but they tend to slide if too much pressure applied.

Paul_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, this may not be quite what you have in mind, but have you see the iCade? I'm hoping a lot of action games support it, especially arcade SHMUPs and such. I have one on order (backorder):

ThinkGeek :: iCADE - iPad Arcade Cabinet

e762_iCade_large.jpg

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen that once before in the ThinkGeek catalog. If it were possible to run the MAME emulator on the ipad, I'd totally get that.

Then again, depending on how many games it's compatible with, I may get one.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Why? The games are gonna be designed for a touchscreen interface not a controller.

I have an xperia play phone and it is so much better than the iPhone for games. I miss the iOS for everything else. The android OS is not that great. It's ok but needs a lot of work. I want apple to me a blue tooth controller to connect to my iPod touch, iPhone and iPad 2.

64GB 3G White iPad

Paul_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I could play regular games on that box other than ataris aged dinosaurs then I'd buy it in a flash.

Well, that's what I'm hoping for, and the real reason I ordered one.

They said they will release info to app developers to add iCade support after it starts shipping, so hopefully that will happen. I'm not interested in the Atari package either. For one thing, most of the games it supports were not meant to run in portrait, so you get a tiny display. And of course, most of those ancient games aren't very compelling anymore.

I mainly want some of the good iOS SHMUPs to support iCade, like the Cave games, Warblade, Lightning Fighter etc.

If that doesn't happen, I will probably sell mine.

swyhart54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it will work with a screen protector. I'm still looking for a better option than the Fling though. I want an actual controller. For people that mention the touch screen controls, they're ok for certain games but for games with mulitple buttons on them the controls suck. It's actually annoying to play them. I travel alot for work and don't want to bring a game console with me and I already have an I Pad so I don't want to buy a Vita but I also want to have some control over the games I'm playing.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
finally a control pad for ipad/iphone...no batteries required...
too bad only 31 games are supported....they need to partner with gameloft...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts