What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple Planning a Super-Retina Device?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
4th_gen_iPad.JPG

Some very interesting news on iDownload Blog today, with word from jailbreak developer Ryan Petrich, responsible for the likes of BrowserChooser, FullForce and Display Recorder, who has tweeted the following, “kCAContextEnablePixelDoubling and kCAContextEnablePixelQuadrupling constants in QuartzCore suggest a ‘super-retina’ device is in the works?†Currently, Retina display iPads and iPhones use pixel doubling, so pixel quadrupling would be even better than the current Retina displays. However, as iDownload Blog notes, it’s not clear from the tweet whether or not “super-retina†means a bigger Retina display, or a display with a massively high pixel density of, say, 652ppi. Apparently Twitter users are saying that this could be referring to a number of things, such as support for 4k TV resolution, or for Apple TV apps, among other things. Or is it something else entirely? And how much better would you want, or need, your Retina display to be? Is it a case of, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]?EnablePixelQuadrupling? constant could suggest Apple is working on a ?super Retina? device

mehtarohit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be remarkable point to have Super Ratina display on devices. I like ratina display, having plus points on it will be surely impressive.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geesh, the current retina display is pretty darned good. How much better can or does it get on a tablet for resolution? When does the phrase diminishing returns come into play?

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also like the current retina display, i remember how impressed i was with the retina screen when i first saw it on an iPhone 4 when it came out, it certainly was a huge improvement over the iPhone 3g/s screen. now hoping the next Gen. iPad mini get the retina screen, might get that one and sell the iPad 3 i got now. love the size/lightness and portability of the iPad mini

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see a reason for anymore resolution on an iPad. Retina is enough. Better to devote effort to other things like longer battery life and lighter weight. And, of course, more storage and yet even faster CPU/gpu speeds.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see a reason for anymore resolution on an iPad. Retina is enough. Better to devote effort to other things like longer battery life and lighter weight. And, of course, more storage and yet even faster CPU/gpu speeds.

fully agree, also apps needs to be adjusted to take advantage of the super retina. i know 4 times HD tv exists now that are super expensive and no content exists for them now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geesh, the current retina display is pretty darned good. How much better can or does it get on a tablet for resolution? When does the phrase diminishing returns come into play?

It's a rumor. I seriously doubt it will happen. I have the retina iPad, the nexus 10 (300ppi), and I had the kindle hd 8.9 (254ppi), and a asus tf700 (~240ish). There is no discernible difference in text on these devices. Anyone else who ups ppi is doing it just for marketing purposes only. It is also a liability too because it forces faster GPUs to be included and it puts extra work on app developers to use the resolution. It has made a mess on the android side already, IMO, since there is no uniform treatment of device resolution or apps. The last thing needed there is yet another resolution. Apple is constrained to 4x pixel increases, which does make it harder to do as far as gpu improvements. It is not going to happen, at least from apple.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Yes, all of those things come before resolution improvements! Battery life and storage would be the firs two worth attacking. Heck, if they can get those even better or cheaper then the android tablet market would be crushed! ;)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh great another Apple thing to get :D

They gonna keep finding ways to get our money. Their goal is to have us all owning about 10+ iPads each lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Can the human eye perceive and appreciate, anything beyond current retina display resolution?
Having read a post on iPF from a member in Brazil who just paid more than $1,100 for an iPad - making iOS products available in emerging markets at an affordable price - might be a more worthwhile pursuit.

BTW - AAPL is down 12% on last night's earnings call.

AA

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Can the human eye perceive and appreciate, anything beyond current retina display resolution?
Having read a post on iPF from a member in Brazil who just paid more than $1,100 for an iPad - making iOS products available in emerging markets at an affordable price - might be a more worthwhile pursuit.

AA

That's what I was wondering. Diminishing returns. Kind of pointless.

As for price, yeah, it's an issue but they sell enough that they are under no pressure to lower the price. If people skip apple it's not likely due to funds, it's due to disliking how apple does stuff. Tablet buyers are techy and likely have the resources to buy whatever they want.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

AA

Brazil made iPads (and other goods) expensive with import tariffs and taxes. That's their own doing. Apple has no responsibility toward any market that chooses to overprice goods to its own citizens.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

AA

Brazil made iPads (and other goods) expensive with import tariffs and taxes. That's their own doing. Apple has no responsibility toward any market that chooses to overprice goods to its own citizens.

This article is from 2010 but sheds light on Brazil's pricey iPads (and other goods):

Don't Go to Brazil for a Deal on an iPad - Businessweek

Most reactions

Latest posts