What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rumour Says Next iPad Mini to Have 324ppi Retina Display

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_4.JPG

According to a new report on AppleInsider today, the next iPad mini could be set to have a Retina display that is even better than that of the current, full-sized iPad. In fact, the rumour, which comes from investment news bureau BrightWire, says that the next iPad mini’s Retina display will have a pixel density of 324 pixels per inch, with a resolution of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels, which is four times more than the fourth-gen full-size iPad. They obtained the information from sources close to Apple’s supply chain in Taiwan, who also said that the next-gen iPad mini is being made by AU Optronics. As AppleInsider notes, if the many rumours about the next iPad mini having a Retina display of any type, let alone of such a superior type, are true, then this would be a massive boost in the success of what has already proved to be an incredibly popular new product for Apple.

[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Rumor: Apple's next iPad mini to pack 324ppi Retina display

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The resolution is a no-brainer....the mini currently has 162ppi...on a 1024x768 screen. They have to jump 2x in each direction to get to 2048x1536 (no real option here for retina on an iPad). That means 324ppi, effectively the same as the iPhones and higher than the larger iPad. It will be pure sweetness. This also implies beef-up internals, too, if they wish to maintain game play. If they go with less than what the current iPad big has, then I think performance will suffer, but only slightly (I'm assuming they might go with the iPad 3 chip). But if they do all of this, when what happens to weight and cooling? Smaller package and same chip as iPad 3 or 4 would have this thing cooking eggs! When I give an 75 minute talk on my iPad 3, with the screen brightness at 40% or so the entire time, my machine is warm to the touch and I can feel it through the case (which works to benefit in winter!)

guyritchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me this would make it a permanent replacement for my iPad 3rd gen. The non retina is just too noticeable after using a retina display iPad, but the iPad mini size is just so perfect for gaming.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me this would make it a permanent replacement for my iPad 3rd gen. The non retina is just too noticeable after using a retina display iPad, but the iPad mini size is just so perfect for gaming.

For you....I use both daily and switch between them continuously. Doesn't bother me at all, but I still want a retina screen.

Most reactions