What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone concerned about 1GB of RAM being enough?

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I have reset, closed all but 2-3 apps at a time, and even deleted some apps I never use. But I'm still getting 2-3 low memory crashes per day. It usually happens when I go to open a new Facebook page in Safari (not the buggy Facbook app). I really really want to keep this iPad Air but this crashing continues to irritate me! Any suggestions? Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

A lot of the complaints I've been reading have to do with safari usage which could be the main culprit. I rarely have more than a few tabs open at one time but I guess once you get 3-4 open the issue may arise. It doesn't seem to be an across the board problem though. It is possible that safari has a memory leak of some kind or there is some iOS 7 issue related to safari.

It's tough when people have a finite return policy and they aren't sure what to do. I'd suspect that apple is working on little fixes here and there along with some better optimizations. Who knows when well see those though? It may be long after return windows have closed. I really haven't been affected by this so ill probably keep my air. It's really a damned good tablet and quite an upgrade over my trusty iPad 2. It might be worth an exchange for some people though. At least get another device and see what happens.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The low memory crashes continue. I have an appointment at the Apple store on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hope you find a solution. I have had mine since last Monday, always have a number of apps open since I do a lot of multitasking and moving from app to app and back again, pushing the Ipad. I also have a number of tabs open in Safari, though I close and open them a lot. I haven't crashed once yet and everything is working quickly and without issues. I use, regularly, quite a number of apps so have nothing but good things to say about the Air. I had an Ipad One from the week they came out, upgraded to the Three the day it came out and the Air is the Ipad I've been waiting for. I bought a 128 GB this time--had 64 GB last two times, wifi/cell. I wonder if there is an app not playing well--I vaguely remember maybe with the Three that people had a similar issue and that was found to be the problem for some of them.e
Have you looked on the Apple support forums to see if others are having the same problem? Good idea to take it to Applr and let them figure it out. Good luck.

Diane

Last edited:

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hope you find a solution. I have had mine since last Monday, always have a number of apps open since I do a lot of multitasking and moving from app to app and back again, pushing the Ipad. I also have a number of tabs open in Safari, though I close and open them a lot. I haven't crashed once yet and everything is working quickly and without issues. I use, regularly, quite a number of apps so have nothing but good things to say about the Air. I had an Ipad One from the week they came out, upgraded to the Three the day it came out and the Air is the Ipad I've been waiting for. I bought a 128 GB this time--had 64 GB last two times, wifi/cell. I wonder if there is an app not playing well--I vaguely remember maybe with the Three that people had a similar issue and that was found to be the problem for some of them.e Have you looked on the Apple support forums to see if others are having the same problem? Good idea to take it to Applr and let them figure it out. Good luck. Diane

Thanks for the info. Yes, lots of discussion about this problem on the forums! Looks like a return and refund may be in order until they fix what may turn into a huge issue. It appears to be a memory management issue with the new A7 processor and iOS 7. Too bad.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes, lots of discussion about this problem on the forums! Looks like a return and refund may be in order until they fix what may turn into a huge issue. It appears to be a memory management issue with the new A7 processor and iOS 7. Too bad.

People had problems with apps in the iPhone 5S crashing. I think that having too many tabs can affect the cores since each tab may use a core. I tried testing it and yes it does consume one core at he 64-bit device.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The low memory crashes continue. I have an appointment at the Apple store on Wednesday. Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Please keep us informed of the result you have at the Apple Store. I was just about to order mine till reading these posts. I will wait and monitor the forums a while longer

Thank you

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, my iPad air has been working great with the things I've done with it. There are some threads on other forums where the 1GB of RAM keeps coming up as a potential problem. Safari can only have so many tabs open at once and then frequent reloading starts. Some people see several low memory errors in their diagnostic logs. The 64 bit architecture apparently uses more RAM so that leaves less for apps. I realize that everyone's usage is different and many won't notice this. I just wonder if it's a concern going forward though as more and more new apps come out that will take advantage of the architecture updates. I do wish Apple would have went with 2GB of RAM but I'm sure that would have forced them to compromise on weight or some other design factor. Thoughts?

I am interested in reading more about this issue and you mentioned threads on other forums, could you please provide a link to these other forums? I would like to see what others are saying about this before buying my Air

Thank you

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think these are mainly iOS 7 problems. I have low-memory errors on my iPad mini which only occured *after* going to iOS7. I don't think there is a hardware problem...iOS7 is the biggest change to iOS since it came out. There are growing problems, but I think since this is software and not hardware that these problems will be solved. Not sure when, though....

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think these are mainly iOS 7 problems. I have low-memory errors on my iPad mini which only occured *after* going to iOS7. I don't think there is a hardware problem...iOS7 is the biggest change to iOS since it came out. There are growing problems, but I think since this is software and not hardware that these problems will be solved. Not sure when, though....

I'm feeling that way too. Too bad there wasn't a way to load iOS 6 on an iPad air....that would verify it for sure! I really do think it's the OS and not a hardware problem though.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I packed up my iPad Air today and took it to the Genius Bar at the apple store.......ready to fix, exchange, or return! The tech claimed it was the first one she had seen returned. (Yeh, right!). Anyway, I explained the problem with low memory crashes, mostly related to Safari use. She then ran a full diagnostic scan which showed no hardware issues, but numerous crashes caused by software conflicts of some sort. She said the solution was to restore the operating system from scratch using their restore program and NOT use my backup files. I agreed to this though she explained that I would lose some of my photos on this iPad (they are still on my ipad2) and would need to download many many apps all over again. UGH! My contact list was preserved in the Cloud.

I have been working on it a few hours now and so far there have been NO low memory crashes. Stay tuned.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I packed up my iPad Air today and took it to the Genius Bar at the apple store.......ready to fix, exchange, or return! The tech claimed it was the first one she had seen returned. (Yeh, right!). Anyway, I explained the problem with low memory crashes, mostly related to Safari use. She then ran a full diagnostic scan which showed no hardware issues, but numerous crashes caused by software conflicts of some sort. She said the solution was to restore the operating system from scratch using their restore program and NOT use my backup files. I agreed to this though she explained that I would lose some of my photos on this iPad (they are still on my ipad2) and would need to download many many apps all over again. UGH! My contact list was preserved in the Cloud.

I have been working on it a few hours now and so far there have been NO low memory crashes. Stay tuned.

So wait, you have a LOT of apps in your iPad?

Well that explains it. The more apps you have, the more your device needs to process data. Delete some useless apps and keep the important ones. Especially that it can cause bad battery and could slow down your device.

D

Deleted member 247820

So wait, you have a LOT of apps in your iPad? Well that explains it. The more apps you have, the more your device needs to process data. Delete some useless apps and keep the important ones. Especially that it can cause bad battery and could slow down your device.

Hi Seraphim.
There are plenty of resident apps I want to turf out but cannot!
E.g. Phone Booth. Messages. Reminders. Calendar. Newsstand.
More power to the customer, less to Apple!

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Seraphim.
There are plenty of resident apps I want to turf out but cannot!
E.g. Phone Booth. Messages. Reminders. Calendar. Newsstand.
More power to the customer, less to Apple!

Well I meant like useless apps. Apps you don't need. Or really want.

Most reactions

Latest posts