What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a wireless keyboard worth getting?

ucopzaha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did they keyboard have some kind of mouse or sometin ? Or you just tap on the screen to begin typng??

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority on this but thus far I've been just fine with the built in keyboard on the iPad. Granted, I don't do that much heavy duty typing but for day to day stuff it's been really nice. I'm a non traditional typer kind of guy so my awkward process might lend itself to the digital keyboard!

If you are doing a lot of writing then it probably make sense but I wouldn't want to lug around a keyboard as it kills some of the prized portability.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority on this but thus far I've been just fine with the built in keyboard on the iPad. Granted, I don't do that much heavy duty typing but for day to day stuff it's been really nice. <snip>

If you are doing a lot of writing then it probably make sense but I wouldn't want to lug around a keyboard as it kills some of the prized portability.

Actually, I got the Apple keyboard because it gives me maximum flexibility. I rarely type much on iPad, because my work requires a real computer, but the keyboard is nice for occasional use, say while I head off to a coffee shop and write performance evaluations for my team, or in instances when I might need a keyboard but not an entire laptop while traveling. I like a separate keyboard, rather than an attached one, because I can easily grab it only when I want it, and can leave it at home or hotel, or toss it in my suitcase, separate from my iPad.

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason they complain is that they don't realize there are any other options. When I bought mine it was hard to find and the sales people don't have a clue.
I do assessments on kids and having the case and keyboard allows me to type notes while working. Then I put my final recommendations on it and e-mail it to myself.
I also carry it in a smallish bag and it would not work having it seperate.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason they complain is that they don't realize there are any other options. When I bought mine it was hard to find and the sales people don't have a clue.
I do assessments on kids and having the case and keyboard allows me to type notes while working. Then I put my final recommendations on it and e-mail it to myself.
I also carry it in a smallish bag and it would not work having it seperate.

Wow, that seems clueless. Even when iPad 1 made its debut, there were ads for the ClamCase on every iPad and Apple forum, for instance. Why turn to salespeople when it takes seconds to google something on the Internet?

As for separate or not, that's a preference, and all that matters is that you use what you like. If others are clueless enough to buy the wrong product, too bad for them, but that doesn't affect the value of any product. (Say some doofus bought an iPad without research and didn't like it; would that affect iPad's usefulness to you?)

kbird197

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One answer you have a wireless keyboard already lol built into ya iPad silly :)

Sent from kerry'siPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have the AWK for my iPad. Yesterday I faced the daunting task of replacing the two batteries for the first time after six months of use. Terribly disappointing. :)

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Have the AWK for my iPad. Yesterday I faced the daunting task of replacing the two batteries for the first time after six months of use. Terribly disappointing. :)

Really? I thought the AWK batteries were easy to replace. That's too bad. i think Mrs Santa is getting me a Zaggmate.

Cheers, Dan

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? I thought the AWK batteries were easy to replace. That's too bad. i think Mrs Santa is getting me a Zaggmate.

Cheers, Dan

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Did you take JSH's post seriously despite the smiley face?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you take JSH's post seriously despite the smiley face?

I find I must often take the time to explain my sense of humor.;) It was a fatal flaw in my career plans as a standup comedian.

I should mention, however, that my Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard has been running for almost a year without replacing the batteries. And I use it far more than my AWK. (The M'soft keyboard is used mostly with my laptop and only occasionally with the iPad.) On the other hand, the M'soft keyboard takes 3 batteries compared to the AWK's two batteries.

In any event, I mention this experience for the benefit of those who are concerned about keyboards that use disposable batteries rather than USB rechargeable keyboards. I'm all for not filling up landfills with batteries but each of the keyboards I use is so efficient that the battery question is pretty much a non-issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts