What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about wireless keyboard pairing

Mike714

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi iPad Community!!!

I just barely got my iPad a few days ago and I must say: I'm loving it! Anyway, I jut purchased the wireless keyboard and it works absolutely amazingly well with the iPad. My questions partains to the turning off the keyboard when your done using it. It seems that the keyboard turns on when you press any key. I usually leave my iPad's Bluetooth on all day because I pair it with my Sony Bluetooth headphones. So it gets annoying when the iPad still recognizes the Wireless keyboard which end up disabling the virtual keyboard from popping up automatically. I hope this clarifies what I'm talking about. I've pressed the side button on the keyboard to turn it off but it stays connected throughout the entire time. Thanks!!!

This is a great community.... I'm glad I am fortunate to be among such a great group of peoples. Thanks in advance and I appreciate any help.

Last edited:

walshie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not the ideal solution - but you could loosen the battery compartment on the end of the keyboard causing it to lose power and therefore not connect..

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi iPad Community!!!

I just barely got my iPad a few days ago and I must say: I'm loving it! Anyway, I jut purchased the wireless keyboard and it works absolutely amazingly well with the iPad. My questions pertains to the turning off the keyboard when your done using it. It seems that the keyboard turns on when you press any key. I usually leave my iPad's Bluetooth on all day because I pair it with my Sony Bluetooth headphones. So it gets annoying when the iPad still recognizes the Wireless keyboard which end up disabling the virtual keyboard from popping up automatically. I hope this clarifies what I'm talking about. I've pressed the side button on the keyboard to turn it off but it stays connected throughout the entire time. Thanks!!!

This is a great community.... I'm glad I am fortunate to be among such a great group of peoples. Thanks in advance and I appreciate any help.

I agree hat wireless BT and the iPad is great.
I bought the Microsoft 6000 keyboard and number pad for $40 at Office Depot in the USA. This is a closeout as there is a new wireless keyboard.

On the back of it there is a tiny on/off pair switch. When I am through I turn off the KB6000 and the on screen keyboard instantly pops up. To resume using it later in the day I merely turn the keyboard on again and press a key.

I also found that when using SoundPaper to take notes I could activate the recording feature and turn of the screen so save the battery. Later if something important came up. I could merely hit any key on the KB 6000 and the screen of the iPad would spring to life. The first key stroke or two were lost in the process but it was easy to arrow backwards and fill in the missing character or two. From there I could type away until I decided I wanted to just listen and I killed teh screen again.

By turning of 3G and WiFi and using a less bright screen while taking notes I get incredible battery life using the Microsoft 6000.

I much prefer it for taking notes all day long. This allows me to position the iPad fruther away or at an awkward spot while keeping the keyboard handy. Even on the desktop I sit about four or five feet from a 24 inch LCD screen with a large wireless keyboard and mouse.

The iPad with a wireless keyboard is far more versatile than any laptop I have ever bought, and it lasts 5X to 9X longer if used in a smart manner.
The Microsoft keyboard uses two AAA and the keypad one AAA. I have yet to replace them. I do carry spares just in case.

I only carry the keypad if I am going to be entering a long list of numbers in a spreadsheet. Normally I leave it behind.

Last edited:

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the Apple wireless keyboard, press and hold the side button to turn it off. You have to hold it for a few seconds, just like forcing a PC to power off.

JesseD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old subject but.............

Awhile back, we had some discussion over the Microsoft Keyboard 6000 set ( the one with a keybpard and numeric pad ) and using it on the iPad. I still have 3 of them but still cannot figure out how to use the keyboard and the numeric pad at the same time. I read a post of saying that someone sometimes takes the numeric pad with on trips with them. Have any of you figured out a way how to have both the keyboard and the numeric pad on at the same time? I can connect them both ( or pair them ) but if I try to turn on my numeric pad when my keyboard is on, I lose function of my keyboard. If Im using the pad and tunr on the keyboard, I lose function of/ my numeric pad

Thanks

Jesse

Most reactions

Latest posts