What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a Windows 7 PC an appropriate envrionment to develop Ipad Apps?

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have some ideas for Ipad apps and am considering paying Apple the $99.00 for a development license. I have an Ipad 2, but do not have MacBookPro or Mac Desktop. I have a 64 bit Windows 7 system. Are there development tools that I can use on my pc to create Ipad apps?

I have a few other questions as well:

Can I assume that with the developer license, I will be able to sync my apps to my own ipad for testing. Is there an official Apple Ipad emulator that I can use to test my apps on my pc? Also, in order for Apple to approve the app, do I have to give them my source code?

Thanks

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You really need to use the apple developer tools such as Xcode to help you develop your apps. However Xcode will only run on Apple pc's / laptaps. i.e. under OSX.

I sometimes develop on my windows 7 PC, using VMWare player to host an Apple OSX Lion operating system , but it is quite a bit slower than doing on my mate's Macbook Pro. (hoping Santa will be bringing me my own Macbook this year !).

Using Xcode on OSX , (free Download), and the IOS SDK (again free download), you can try out your app on your Ipad/Iphone. It also has an Iphone/Ipad emulator.

martinj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only officially supported way is by using xcode on apple hardware. Ofcourse you can always use vmware or a hackintosh...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The long and short answer is no One great option is a Mac mini perfect and powerfull plus low cost. One can also install win 7 if needed.

And as above

You really need to use the apple developer tools such as Xcode to help you develop your apps. However Xcode will only run on Apple pc's / laptaps. i.e. under OSX.

smcneilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey dragon499, I'm asking the same question, myself.

If you watch this video by Adobe, tv. adobe. com/watch/learn-flash-professional-cs5/flash-professional-cs55-publishing-content-to-ios-devices/ it states that Flash CS5.5 enables you to export your Flash content to a compiling system that boils it down to an iPad app (note... I can't post links on this forum yet, because I'm new, so remove the spaces in the address above). Adobe states that it's not Flash running on an iPad; it's an iPad app, which was compiled using Flash as the IDE.

In other words, I think Adobe is boiling-down the Flash-IDE-created content to bytecode, which is then put through an X-Code-compatible compiler, which Adobe's Flash handles completely. Again, watch the video above.

Now then... Flash is really easy to learn/use. Its ActionScript language is essentially the same as Javascript, and Flash is a graphical environment. And, the Flash IDE is available on Windows, as everyone knows.

So, it would seem that:
1) It IS possible to develop via Windows, and
2) There are easier ways of developing sophisticated apps using tools other than X-code. I must admit, though, I've never used X-Code, and I'm simply going by what others have said on other forums. I've read that X-Code and Objective-C are pretty heavy-duty, with really steep learning curves. If that's true, then I can state that Flash really is pretty easy, if you just get a book and read it.

I hope that helps -- if anyone has a rebuttal to my statements, please comment. Thanks.

clothesfee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to develop Apps and put them on to the App Store, a Mac with latest Xcode installed is the only choice. Otherwise you may put your app under the risk of being rejected by Apple.

Most reactions