What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Windows Development

okeidesign

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to develop iPad applications with Windows?
I have Flash but i can do only for iPhones :( .

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that the answer is most definitely no. You need a Mac and the iPad SDK (software developers' kit) plus some other stuff. None of this is available for the PC.

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible to create iOS apps for the AppStore using windows without doing too much harm. You need to use a portability layer to hide platform-specific details but then in the end you'll have to move the code to a Mac to build the app.

If your audience for your app are for jailbreakers then you can develop iOS apps on Windows/Linux/Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod but I don't encourage because if something goes wrong then it's harder to recover.

OP
O

okeidesign

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i buy the Mac Os and install it on a normal PC ?
@biobunny - Nope , not for jailbreakers , im a Graphic Designer so i just started to learn coding so i will not do much things at beggining.

I found Mac Os X Snow Leopard on a online shop in my country and is like 39$
Will it work on a PC?

PC Specs ( im telling you my pc specs because maybe are incompatibilities ) :

Processor: Intel core i5 750 3.7 GHz
Videocard: 2x GTX 275 EVGA Super super clocked
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Team Elite Group

Best of regards,
Spinu Alexandru Mihai.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should add that this would not be my preferred solution. Instead I'd look around for a used or refurbished Mac Mini, no more than one or two generations old.

OP
O

okeidesign

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cheapest mac in my country is 1491 USD . Refurbished will be like 1000 or 1100. So is too expensive.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hackingt0shes are illegal I thought. I use a Intel Mac for only 500 (Canadian) dollars, was a dual core, second hand which handles way better compared to second hand PowerPC Macs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hakentoshes violate Apple's EULA for Mac OS X. Whether EULA violations are illegal is a subject of contention. There have been no decisive legal tests (to my knowledge). Violation of the EULA definitely frees Apple of any warrantee or support obligations.

Even when Apple went after Psystar they did not contest them based on the EULA as everyone, including Psystar, expected. Instead they won based on violations of copyright and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Psystar Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple has no history of attacking, or even commenting on individuals who choose to install OS X on personal computers, so long as they are not using illegal/pirated copies of OS X. Companies that do this in an attempt to make a profit are another matter. Apple sees them as both competition and a threat to Apple's brand name, and squashes them ruthlessly.

This is understandable if you remember that Apple almost bled to death when they allowed clones. Even though they received licensing fees, it wasn't enough to compensate for the loss of sales to cheaper alternatives. It left scars on the company psych, I think. Some fans seem to feel this way too.

Of course, it didn't help that without Steve at the helm they were not producing anything better than blah designs and ideas themselves.

Ok, lecture mode off.

The Hackentosh is a sort of gray area that no one cares about, as long as it is primarily populated by hobbyists.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All right I use a Mac Intel Core duo but I own a portable HDD running Mac OS X leopard. Don't ask why please. Also I don't mind your lecturing.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do create an hackingtosh then remember to back up all your data first.

Most reactions

Latest posts