What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhoneTracker

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hams have been using tracking for a long time. In fact, we encourage it through the use of something called APRS. When you incorporate satellite images you can actually see my location and how messy the yard is.

You can track me real time as I move from my office to Denny's to the Liquor store, and my route home. If I take a cross country trip, you will know where I go, the exact route I take, where I stop, and for how long.

If I were on the air, you would have lots of information about me and my location. When you add the FCC Call Letter Database, all you need is my call letters and you also have access to my physical home address. And my law, I MUST tell you my call letters. In other words, by law, (in most cases) you are able to know where I live.

You can monitor my location, where I go, get a look at an aerial view, and learn my street address. Add a good map program, and from just my brief transmission, you can find my exact location. As well as elevation, temperature, time, humidity, etc.

I never thought it was a big deal. Because it is really not a big deal. So I wonder why this is such a big deal with the iThing/cell phone users.

Is there a way to completely opt out of iThingy/cell phone tracking? Or is it a whole lotta nothing and too many people have read Orwell to much?

Just asking

Bob

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That indeed is me, Herbert!

(And you know your license expired back in February, right?)

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thought so, Scott. Say, have you ever been to Ct. and operated at ARRL HQ? Thinking I might do that in a few months. I am working on setting up a new shack with some of Kenwood or Icom's flashy stuff. Perhaps EME would be fun.

So you tell me. Why is tracking such an issue or is it not at all? At some level it likely becomes an issue, I'll admitt that. But, as the saying goes, "If they wanted you, you would already be in handcuffs."

I do not really think it is a big deal. I know this must be true because I asked Mr. Google and the men that came to visit me said I should not worry about it. Rather odd guys in dark suits. Odd sorta red flashy thing, so I do not know if they took something with them. I can't find my vintage Vibroplex so perhaps they took it.

It is interesting thing. We want a free Internet containing the sum of our lives and we do not want the government to have what they already have or can get from public sources. As do the marketing folks that sell mailing lists as well as most local DMV offices.

Do you think we should be scared or do you think it will not really matter to most people in the real world. Some people are very upset that their personal info might be accessed by our glorious Uncle Sam. Then they go to some web site they do not know and add all sorts of personal information. They volunteer info they do not want the government to have, but that is apparently ok.

Bob is on the fence on this one.

73s,

Bob

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

Thought so, Scott. Say, have you ever been to Ct. and operated at ARRL HQ? Thinking I might do that in a few months. I am working on setting up a new shack with some of Kenwood or Icom's flashy stuff. Perhaps EME would be fun.

So you tell me. Why is tracking such an issue or is it not at all? At some level it likely becomes an issue, I'll admitt that. But, as the saying goes, "If they wanted you, you would already be in handcuffs."

I do not really think it is a big deal. I know this must be true because I asked Mr. Google and the men that came to visit me said I should not worry about it. Rather odd guys in dark suits. Odd sorta red flashy thing, so I do not know if they took something with them. I can't find my vintage Vibroplex so perhaps they took it.

It is interesting thing. We want a free Internet containing the sum of our lives and we do not want the government to have what they already have or can get from public sources. As do the marketing folks that sell mailing lists as well as most local DMV offices.

Do you think we should be scared or do you think it will not really matter to most people in the real world. Some people are very upset that their personal info might be accessed by our glorious Uncle Sam. Then they go to some web site they do not know and add all sorts of personal information. They volunteer info they do not want the government to have, but that is apparently ok.

Bob is on the fence on this one.

73s,

Bob

People think it's somehow an invasion of their privacy. I can't say I totally disagree. But I can tell you this, if my ex-wife needed to find me she'd do it with or without the iPad tracking.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Bob, haven't been to the "mother ship", but it is on my "ToDo" list.

But I can tell you this, if my ex-wife needed to find me she'd do it with or without the iPad tracking.
Or try missing a payment on your student loan. Sallie Mae WILL find you!

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
(And you know your license expired back in February, right?)

Interesting thing. I noticed that date and so far, no resolution with the FCC. Perhaps the snail lost the mail containing my 605. Can't operate anyway, so it is a non-issue for now. Still a tad worried about why I can't renew. Time to ask my VEC for assistance, perhaps.

Bob

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If steve jobs wants to track where I go, he will be rather bored, I dont have that exciting of a life LMAO

Reaction score
My map would be something like den to living room , living room to den. Den to kitchen, kitchen to den and on Sunday den to truck to my dads house, my dads house back to truck, back to den

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My map would be something like den to living room , living room to den. Den to kitchen, kitchen to den and on Sunday den to truck to my dads house, my dads house back to truck, back to den

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

We know. You forgot to add that you stopped at the store for a carton of milk. You paid $2.25 in line three. We know All, We see all.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand what everyone is saying here but shouldn't they at least ask for permission?

FREE MY iPAD2 

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRager said:
I understand what everyone is saying here but shouldn't they at least ask for permission?

FREE MY iPAD2 

They did and you agreed when you agreed to the Terms of Use for the software on your device. :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts