What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iphone sync cable not same as ipad cable

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone try after market cables? I see that Monoprice has them for $1.58

$1.58 each - USB Sync Cable for Apple iPhone/ iPad/ iPod Touch, Classic, Mini, Nano - 6ft | iPod Cables

Anyone try them yet?

Well, wanting it right away, I bought one of the 6 foot cords locally for almost $10.
I am NOT pleased with it.

syncing goes fine.
It shows the charging icon.

But it is either NOT charging, or charging so slowly I cannot tell that it is.
Yes, whether it is plugged into USB. OR the charging block.

Anyone else who has gotten one have input on their experience?

LAC_STS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have about 10 Apple cables. iPod touch ones, iPhone ones, and iPad ones.

All work interchangeably without problems.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As with others, I'm using multiple cables (all genuine Apple) with no issues. I like the older cables with the lock/release thing, don't like the newer one that's smaller and you just yank out. Not sure how those aftermarket cables would work, especially one that's 6 feet long. What I've noticed is that some of the newer Apple products can be picky about the charging method you use. I've tested one of those cheap eBay wall chargers and my iPhone and iPad won't charge with it (yes I've left it plugged in for a while to verify that it isn't charging really slow). It'll charge my Kensington external iPhone battery fine, but not the iPhone or iPad. Luckily between all the iPhones and ipods I've bought the last few years I have chargers in multiple locations in the house as well as at the office.

LAC_STS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im sure all of you know this but I thought I would post it anyways.

The Ipad uses a 10W power to charge. The Iphone and most regular USB connections are 5W.

When you plug the Ipad up to your computer (unless its a high power USB port) the Ipad will say "Not Charging". It is charging though, but it is charging VERY slowly.

I accidentally left my ipad hooked up to my computer one night and it went from 84% to 100%.

ikrazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree!

Apparently not. Try using the cable that actually came with the iPad. There is apparently something different about it. Now, backup and sync on my iPad fly

NOW YOU HAVE TO MARK YOUR CABLES

NICE JOB APPLE:(:(

You're absolutely correct. It took forever to sync my iPad or rather it was the backup that took a very long time, the syncing wasn't too bad. Well, I figured I just wasn't patient enough. Then I rented a movie or two and was going to transfer it from my computer to the iPad. It took a looong time.

I went to the Apple store and the first thing they asked was - which cable did you use? Is there a difference I asked? Well, technically not, but make sure you use the original iPad cable. Huh??

I went back home and tried it - it's like day and night. Much, much faster backups, movie transfers take 1/5th of the time it took before.

So I thought that maybe my cable was damaged? There are three iPhones in my household (1 x 4G and 2 x 3GS), I tried all three iPhone cables (one of them is brand new) and ALL 3 were much slower when it comes to backing up the iPad. If I skip the backup and only sync then it takes about the same amount of time as with the iPad cable).

Then I called a friend who had similar problems earlier that week and asked her to try syncing with the original iPad cable - she called me later that night saying the difference was very noticeable.

So YES, there's a difference between the cables. I marked the iPad cable but you can tell the difference by the edges of the USB plug in, they're rounder versus the more squarish iPhone USB connector.

Later I figured I'd google this problem and found out I wasn't the only one with this problem. I'm not allowed to post links yet but there are several apple disussion forums I found where they found the same problem I did. Try h t t p:// in front of discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11570395 Same issue, same results...

Last edited:

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WELL MAYBE MINE HAS AN INTERMITTENT BUG OR SOMETHING
THE IPAD CABLE DOES NOT LET THE IPAD DROP OUT DURING SYNC AND THE OTHER DOES
Hmmmmm

Baaaack aaawwwaayy from the caps key........you can do it! :)

LMAO!!!!!!

Mine works fine as well. There is no difference at all. Even charging was the same.

User was experiencing a ID ten- T Error and PEBCAK Error.. :D

Last edited:

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah there is a dif in the cable I believe half the people posting where thinking of charging fro the wall using the block instead of syncing. SYNCING is much faster with the iPad cable not charging using either iPad or iPhone cable.

OP
S

swelson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently not. Try using the cable that actually came with the iPad. There is apparently something different about it. Now, backup and sync on my iPad fly

NOW YOU HAVE TO MARK YOUR CABLES

NICE JOB APPLE:(:(

You're absolutely correct. It took forever to sync my iPad or rather it was the backup that took a very long time, the syncing wasn't too bad. Well, I figured I just wasn't patient enough. Then I rented a movie or two and was going to transfer it from my computer to the iPad. It took a looong time.

I went to the Apple store and the first thing they asked was - which cable did you use? Is there a difference I asked? Well, technically not, but make sure you use the original iPad cable. Huh??

I went back home and tried it - it's like day and night. Much, much faster backups, movie transfers take 1/5th of the time it took before.

So I thought that maybe my cable was damaged? There are three iPhones in my household (1 x 4G and 2 x 3GS), I tried all three iPhone cables (one of them is brand new) and ALL 3 were much slower when it comes to backing up the iPad. If I skip the backup and only sync then it takes about the same amount of time as with the iPad cable).

Then I called a friend who had similar problems earlier that week and asked her to try syncing with the original iPad cable - she called me later that night saying the difference was very noticeable.

So YES, there's a difference between the cables. I marked the iPad cable but you can tell the difference by the edges of the USB plug in, they're rounder versus the more squarish iPhone USB connector.

Later I figured I'd google this problem and found out I wasn't the only one with this problem. I'm not allowed to post links yet but there are several apple disussion forums I found where they found the same problem I did. Try h t t p:// in front of discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11570395 Same issue, same results...
I am grateful for the reply, I did not think I was too wrong!!

OP
S

swelson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WELL MAYBE MINE HAS AN INTERMITTENT BUG OR SOMETHING
THE IPAD CABLE DOES NOT LET THE IPAD DROP OUT DURING SYNC AND THE OTHER DOES
Hmmmmm

LMAO!!!!!!

Mine works fine as well. There is no difference at all. Even charging was the same.

how can i respect someone with such control issues.
respect me and i will respect you!!
what a joke ,your motto should be respect me ,or I will chastise you.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a big difference is what computer you are using. Macs are designed to abide by the USB standards very closely. PCs can be a mixed bag. On my Gateway FX I had to install the ASUS utility to get proper charging and syncing on the iPad despite my iPad touch working fine for years. Despite the fact that my PC is not ASUS based.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

LMAO!!!!!!

how can i respect someone with such control issues.
respect me and i will respect you!!
what a joke ,your motto should be respect me ,or I will chastise you.

Settle it BUCKO. It was a joke hence the :D.

ikrazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a big difference is what computer you are using. Macs are designed to abide by the USB standards very closely. PCs can be a mixed bag. On my Gateway FX I had to install the ASUS utility to get proper charging and syncing on the iPad despite my iPad touch working fine for years. Despite the fact that my PC is not ASUS based.

Why would that matter when it comes to computers? We're talking cables. Also, the lady I was writing about earlier has a Mac at home so she was syncing with her Mac (I have Windows 7 gaming computer). As I said earlier, syncing is not the problem, it's the back-up that takes a long time with an iPhone cable. Apparently even Apple reps know about it as syncing cable was the first thing they asked me about when I went to the store. Maybe this is yet another of the hush-hush, "non-existing" problems? You know, like the iPhone 4 connectivity?

It's no big deal per se but some company info would've been nice that's all. I like my iPhone and i like my iPad but I'm no Apple fanatic, I'm simply a consumer. When a person mentioned a problem that I too had experienced I spoke up. That's all.

Last edited:

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone try after market cables? I see that Monoprice has them for $1.58

$1.58 each - USB Sync Cable for Apple iPhone/ iPad/ iPod Touch, Classic, Mini, Nano - 6ft | iPod Cables

Anyone try them yet?

I wanted to update my experience with the 10 foot Monoprice cable. For charging, it seems to work fine, but I charge it from the 110 volt wall adapter. I just got back from vacation, and I used this cable with a 12 volt cigrette lighter adapter in the car. It kept the iPad charged at 100% during the entire 7 hour car ride.

It doesn't work so well with syncing to my computer though. My computer thinks it's a memory card. Not a big deal, since I just use the original cable.

For the price, I think Monoprice is the way to go.

cannedbrain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The USB cable with squareish plugnis apparently compatible with both iPhone & iPad. I think it's the roudish plug that's probably not compatible with iPad. My roundish one (belongs to iPhone 3GS) started dropping after I accidentally used it with my iPad. Then I googled and found this on apple store:

store.apple.com/us/product/MA591G/B

Been using the squarish owith both and have't got any prob so far.

Most reactions

Latest posts