What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3 being recalled or no longer made?

Ilmbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard that Ipad3 is no longer made. People were questioning that it should be recalled. Why? What is going on?
Thx

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Officially, there is no iPad 3, or 4. There is an iPad with retina display, which has, since its introduction, been improved with the new Lightning port and some other bits and pieces.

We use the designations iPad 3 and iPad 4 on this forum for convenience, since most of us find the numbers easier than saying "the iPad with retina display and a 30 pin dock connector".

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard that Ipad3 is no longer made. People were questioning that it should be recalled. Why? What is going on?
Thx

The 3rd Generation iPad was never recalled, nor should it have been. Apple just introduced the 4th gen at the same time they released the iPad mini. Like Kevin said they improved a few things on it but there was nothing wrong with the 3rd gen. You may have thought they were recalling them because Apple allowed people to return their 3rd gen iPad's if they were purchased within the preceding month of the 4th gen iPad being released.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The official name Apple gave the iPad 3 when it was released in March 2012 was:

The New iPad

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When Apple released the iPad with the new items, it sure did not make the early iPad buyers happy. Why the rush to get another iPad sold and then make improvements so soon, is a mystery to me. Oh well thats Apple for you, always a company with many surprise's.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"iPad with Retina display" (4) simply replaced the "New iPad" (also with Retina display) (3). Who knows how or why Apple names these things in such a confusing fashion, don't try to assign logic to their process. There is nothing at all wrong with the New iPad (3), I have two of them in our family having replaced an iPad 2 and an original iPad with the 3's. There is insufficient improvement in the 4 to justify replacing $2000 worth of iPad 3's.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3 as we call it here.
I did notice that on the Apple Store and in other stores, only the iPad 2 and the new Lightning connector, shall we say "iPad 4" has been listed. However, Microcenter is still selling the 3, referring to it as "3rd Generation" and in fact, sells all of them (except the original/iPad 1 naturally)
I figured it was the same deal-3 not on there due to being mostly similar to the "iPad with Retina Display" which we then here call the 4 so Apple itself is jut kind of ignoring their own product maybe who knows, to deflect to the newest one? I'm not 100% sure on the logic-just my guess. But as to what is being manufactured, I have no idea if the 2 actually still is, and I might guess the 3 isn't anymore? No idea if Microcenter's stock ends on the 3 or not. But the 3 was not recalled that I heard of and I can't see where there would have been a reason to.
My iPad 3 works flawlessly. I still sometimes use my 2 which continues to work awesome. But the display on the 3 is fantastic and the speed is great.
I had read somewhere that there were wifi connectivity issues with the 3 but if there were, perhaps they were corrected because I have had no problem whatsoever. It's a fantastic device!

Chocolat1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, so...I'm contemplating an iPad 2 or "3". Is there any reason I should not buy "3"? Apple Store is very confusing!! They dont even mention the "3". Should I get internet already installed? Micro Center has them, are they a good place to go to? I'm brand new to iPad sorry. I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, so...I'm contemplating an iPad 2 or "3". Is there any reason I should not buy "3"? Apple Store is very confusing!! They dont even mention the "3". Should I get internet already installed? Micro Center has them, are they a good place to go to? I'm brand new to iPad sorry. I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks

The main reason to get a "3" is if you want to save a little money. The problem is, there is no official price that I know of for the 3 Gen iPad because it isn't being sold anymore. Also, the 3 uses the old style 30-pin connector which is on the way OUT. So, if you buy it, then you will have this fading connector rather than whatever apple will be using over the next 10 years. I would think carefully about that. Also, the 4th gen iPad is 2x the speed of the 3nd gen...so, if you have to decide if whatever discount they are giving you is worth it. ..it even comes with a charger that will charge it quicker than the 3nd gen. So, if you get the 4th gen, you get the new lightning connector, 12W charger instead of 10W, 2X the performance, and better wifi in other parts of the world (other feature). Personally, I'd get the 4th gen.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, if you need lots of storage space, the iPad 4 now comes in a 128GB version.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aside from the connector port, there's no real difference in hardware between the 3 and the 4, so why have 2 nearly identical devices on the market to butt-heads, and thus, the main (if not original) reason that it was pulled off.

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad 3 64gb and iPad 4 128gb.

The iPad 4 has a much faster chipset and the difference is noticed in some games and not in others.

Load times are faster, as is internet and the pseudo Flash browsers work better.

If you play hi def movies with non native supported codecs, they all play smooth.

Battery life seems about an hour better.

If you play iMAME 139, a LOT more games play smooth.

I am selling my iPad 3 and keeping the iPad 4. Nice to be able to fit a lot of my comics and all of my apps as well as movies.

IMO, the iPad 4 is worth the extra money, but I am a gamer and media nut.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ilmbg said:
Thx

They just did replacement on iPad 3with ipad 4. interesting thing is that they officially sell iPad 2 still, but no more iPad 3. Obviously Apple decides to erase iPad 3 like never existed. My opinion is:in media was a lot of accusation for to hot CPU on Ipad -3.

Sent from my iPad 4

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aside from the connector port, there's no real difference in hardware between the 3 and the 4, so why have 2 nearly identical devices on the market to butt-heads, and thus, the main (if not original) reason that it was pulled off.

I agree they are very similar, but I think the real difference is inside. 2X greater performance all around is no joke.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They are still selling Ipad 2 16 GB wifi only as an entry level Ipad. Its great for students, schools. I have an Ipad 3, 64 GB, 3G bought the day it came out to replace my Ipad 1 (I kept it as dedicated music tablet). I'm finding the step up to retina (the 2 does not have retina display), faster processor, 3G a great upgrade and am not a bit unhappy they upgraded to 4 so soon. I won't feel the need to upgrade until there's a sizeable difference in thinness and weight with more storage. I consider myself a power user if there's such a thing with the Ipads LOL. I do everything on Ipad 3 except process raw photo files using Photoshop and Lightroom on a very powerful PC built for that--and create more complex XLS spreadsheets when necessary (I can access them on Ipad, make changes--I use cloud storage to access from all devices). So they haven't tried to make Ipad 3 disappear, they just improved it a bit. If I was buying today I'd buy the current 'new Ipad' which here we call Ipad 4.

Most reactions

Latest posts